Home

MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA *Day 2*

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA *Day 2* within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA *Day 2*

DAY 2

First thing we did was play a FULL game when I arrived today. Russell would choose the Minnesota Twins and I chose the St. Louis Cardinals (No Holliday). After playing him yesterday for 5 innings and only seeing a run between us I knew we were going to be in for another pitcher's duel. Starting Pitcher Brad Penny (Cards) and his opposing pitcher(Slowery? - Not sure if it was him or Baker) would battle it out for 7 innings. In the 4th(thereabouts), Slowery would give up a lone solo HR to Bengie Molina. Molina got ahead in the count and hit a knee high curveball into the LF bleachers. This would be all the Cards would need. The Twins had a couple opportunities in the game but their biggest came in the bottom of the 7th when Span would lead off with a base hit. Mauer would come up and drive one DEEP to LF-CF to the track but it would be hauled in by Rasmus who had to run a long way and Span was caught by a hair as he was almost to third base. Penny was on top of his game with 8 K's. Penny's curveball was hitting the low strike zone early in the game but was falling out of the zone later and Russell wasn't able to lay off. Penny also threw inside fastballs for K's on a few occasions that locked the Twinkies out. The Twins next opportunity to score would be when Penny was taken out of the game. Ryan Franklin would be pulled with a runner on 1st and no outs in the 9th. Motte came in and slammed the door. The Cards other run came on a bases loaded 3-1 pitch by Pat Neshak (I swung too). Neshak was MASTERFUL. I couldn't figure out the submariner who was just plain hard for me to pick up the ball out of his hand. I believe Russell had 10 hits to my 8.

An outstanding game and Russell was a First Class Act taking the loss. I wouldn't have expected it any other way!

OBSERVATIONS:

There is no quick pitching!!! The pitcher cannot hit a button to speed up ONLY the batter!

Saw 2 fans at the same time down the RF line reaching over the wall near the ground trying to scoop foul ball.

PITCHING

The meter looks the same but somehow just feels better. It does seem to penalize you worse the more you miss the meter. But the good part about it is when you do hit the meter you are hitting your spot, near or very near where you wanted the ball to end up. When hitting pause you can observe each pitch and it will tell you near or very near or not.

Fireworks display after hometown HR are only if the team actually does it in real life (i.e. there wouldn't be any for the New York Yankees.

GRAPHICS

Now that I've seen the game again I conclude that they are close in comparison to last year's graphics. I'm used to ONLINE which isn't nearly as good as OFFLINE graphics. However, this isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. It's still more immersive to me this year due to the LIGHTING. It's easier to see the ball too. The animations are so smooth and there are many many new ones. I think the game is drop dead gorgeous.

BROADCAST VIEW

This is for you to decide. You may or may not like it. Your choice. There were a couple times where we should of made plays on balls but for the most part its not too difficult and after some more practice maybe we both would of made those plays.

There were new stat overlays that I hadn't seen before. I really couldn't tell you what any one of them were because for the most part we sped through those. I do recall one about about average mph for both starting pitchers.

AUDIO

The last day of CES wasn't so busy and therefore we could hear it better this time as you'll see in the videos. The crowd is WAY more lively for the home team.

OTHER THINGS

The sign in MIN will be animated when the game is released. I know someone asked that question.

Saw the 3D version of the game and as Rman said it is pretty cool. Have no idea if it will play on current PS3 with firmware.

The video recorder I was using is 720P. Have no idea why the contrast was blooming in these videos. The color therefore isn't as good as my previously posted videos.

Videos ( Keep checking back here as video links will be posted here. Some are lengthy so the videos probably won't show up for at least another 40 minutes)

1. Rman/Chris playing (Throwing strikes purposely):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFb-XssPbn0
2. Daylight Transition #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYVmHpM0PBg
3. Daylight Transition #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwjrivvGp_w
5. HR Derby #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40UCtcvI5U
6. HR Derby #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDdnVEWorY
7. Pitching Knockout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbXcLf_HkPY
8. Pitching Training/Simulation Game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-YdybNF6g
Platform: PS3

Last edited by dmbfan1970; 01-11-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: *DAY 2* MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA

u sir are a life saver!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Dude, you are awesome!!!

twitch.tv/manny7788gaming

Partnered Twitch streamer that plays MLB.

Come say Hi!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

Great news DMB! You have come through again!

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Rookie

cnh2os84's Arena

OVR: 4

Thanks for more info dmb!

Sounds like you had a fun weekend
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1970
DAY 2

First thing we did was play a FULL game when I arrived today. Russell would choose the Minnesota Twins and I chose the St. Louis Cardinals (No Holliday). After playing him yesterday for 5 innings and only seeing a run between us I knew we were going to be in for another pitcher's duel. Starting Pitcher Brad Penny (Cards) and his opposing pitcher(Slowery? - Not sure if it was him or Baker) would battle it out for 7 innings. In the 4th(thereabouts), Slowery would give up a lone solo HR to Bengie Molina. Molina got ahead in the count and hit a knee high curveball into the LF bleachers. This would be all the Cards would need. The Twins had a couple oppurtunities in the game but their biggest came in the bottom of the 7th when Span would lead off with a base hit. Mauer would come up and drive one DEEP to LF-CF to the track but it would be hauled in by Rasmus who had to run a long way and Span was caught by a hair as he was almost to third base. Penny was on top of his game with 8 K's. Penny's curveball was hitting the low strike zone early in the game but was falling out of the zone later and Russell wasn't able to lay off. Penny also threw inside fastballs for K's on a few occasions that locked the Twinkies out. The Twins next oppurtunity to score would be when Penny was taken out of the game. Ryan Franklin would be pulled with a runner on 1st and no outs in the 9th. Motte came in and slammed the door. The Cards other run came on a bases loaded 3-1 pitch by Pat Neshak (I swung too). Neshak was MASTERFUL. I couldn't figure out the submariner who was just plain hard for me to pick up the ball out of his hand. I believe Russell had 10 hits to my 8.

An outstanding game and Russell was a First Class Act taking the loss. I wouldn't have expected it any other way!

Observations:
There is no quick pitching!!! The pitcher cannot hit a button to speed up ONLY the batter!

Saw 2 fans at the same time down the RF line reaching over the wall near the ground trying to scoop foul ball.

Pitching. The meter looks the same but somehow just feels better. It does seem to penalize you worse the more you miss the meter. But the good part about it is when you do hit the meter you are hitting your spot, near or very near where you wanted the ball to end up. When hitting pause you can observe each pitch and it will tell you near or very near or not.

Fireworks display after hometown HR are only if the team actually does it in real life (i.e. there wouldn't be any for the New York Yankees.

Graphics - Now that I've seen the game again I conclude that they are close in comparison to last year's graphics. I'm used to ONLINE which isn't nearly as good as OFFLINE graphics. However, this isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. It's still more immersive to me this year due to the LIGHTING. It's easier to see the ball too. The animations are so smooth and there are many many new ones. I think the game is drop dead georgous.

Broadcast View - This is for you to decide. You may or may not like it. Your choice. There were a couple times where we should of made plays on balls but for the most part its not too difficult and after some more practice maybe we both would of made those plays.

There were new stat overlays that I hadn't seen before. I really couldn't tell you what any one of them were because for the most part we sped thru those. I do recall one about about average mph for both starting pitchers.

Sound - The last day of CES wasn't so busy and therefore we could hear it better this time as you'll see in the vids. The crowd is WAY more lively for the home team.

Other Things:

The sign in MIN will be animated when the game is released. I know someone asked that question.

Saw the 3D version of the game and as Rman said it is pretty cool. Have no idea if it will play on current PS3 with firmware.

The video recorder I was using is 720P. Have no idea why the contrast was blooming in these videos. The color therefore isn't as good as my previously posted videos.
Videos ( Keep checking back here as video links will be posted here. Some are lengthy so the vids prolly won't show up for at least another 40 minutes)

1. Rman/Chris playing (Throwing strikes purposely):
2. Daylight Transition #1:
3. Daylight Transition #2:
4. Daylight Transition #3:
5. HR Derby #1:
6. HR Derby #2:
7. Pitching Knockout:
8. Pitching Training/Simulation Game:
Sounds great man. Thanks for this and everything else you have provided this weekend.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Great recap man. Looking forward to the vids.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

I'm not liking the whole 3D/MLB 10 thing

it's just all coming out too fast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »