Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13
Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands-on (IGN)

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Major League Baseball 2K10.

Quote:
"The single clutch moment I played had my double-A team down one run with two men on in the bottom of the ninth. All I had to do was slap a single into the outfield and we'd win the game. Well, it didn't happen, but the potential was there for an exciting moment. Aside from standard games, you'll also take part in drills to build your attribute points."
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Hands on preview

"The last new feature that was shown to me was also one of the coolest, provided it can be tuned properly. It's called Hurry-up Baseball"

Ummm...this was in last years game.
NY Knicks :(

Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13

Franchise Mode has seen a few revisions as well, though my time was mainly spent tinkering with the core gameplay. Your season now starts in spring training where you'll be charged with whittling a 40-man roster down to 25 to start the season.

I wonder if they got rid of Single A clubs. I hope not.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

John Kruk has been added? I think that if he can sound lively and mesh well with Thorne and Phillips, I'm all for it... but I don't know if I've ever heard him call a baseball game, I've only seen him on Baseball Tonight.

I think TrevyTrev will like the defensive swing mechanic, and it sounds appropriate with the control gesture you have to do. I hope they worked on cursor hitting, though... I'd much prefer that over the swing stick if there's no left stick skill for making contact.

I have no desire to play My Player mode, but I think it's kind of nice how it really wants you to progress far into it instead of playing every game, so hopefully people will post about being in their sixth year, blah blah.

No real mention of a new HUD or upgrades to real time presentation (including camera angles). I don't think this is the year for me to look at renting 2K10 and at least be pleased by it, but I certainly hope that this is a playable game for 360 owners this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1182
"The last new feature that was shown to me was also one of the coolest, provided it can be tuned properly. It's called Hurry-up Baseball"

Ummm...this was in last years game.
So was throwing with the face buttons (as I recall in the demo). I don't think Ahearn played last year's game much, but I don't blame him.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 12

That was a horrible Hands on. No mention if they changed the animations. Last year all the players moved like robots together when the game was over or the end of an inning.

I could care less about the my player mode. I just to play a season without getting annoyed by all the bugs.
NY Knicks :(

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
John Kruk has been added? I think that if he can sound lively and mesh well with Thorne and Phillips, I'm all for it... but I don't know if I've ever heard him call a baseball game, I've only seen him on Baseball Tonight.

I think TrevyTrev will like the defensive swing mechanic, and it sounds appropriate with the control gesture you have to do. I hope they worked on cursor hitting, though... I'd much prefer that over the swing stick if there's no left stick skill for making contact.

I have no desire to play My Player mode, but I think it's kind of nice how it really wants you to progress far into it instead of playing every game, so hopefully people will post about being in their sixth year, blah blah.

No real mention of a new HUD or upgrades to real time presentation (including camera angles). I don't think this is the year for me to look at renting 2K10 and at least be pleased by it, but I certainly hope that this is a playable game for 360 owners this year.

So was throwing with the face buttons (as I recall in the demo). I don't think Ahearn played last year's game much, but I don't blame him.
Dude had no clue about baseball and what to look for is the thing i got from that article.

I am sure you can still swing left and right, its just flicking left and right goes into a defensive swing, pulling back and going diagonal up are 2 different things.

We have to see though, i just dont think this dude really had a clue about the game of baseball.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Oh, and I'm concerned about the Batter's Eye thing. I always turn it off because it doesn't work realistically. In years past, we get to see where the ball is before the pitch even comes (same with The Show). As a baseball player, if you guess the correct half of the plate and the right pitch, you'll hit it hard yourself. You don't need to be told that it's coming, you just have to be set up beforehand and literally look for only that pitch. We should be rewarded ourselves for looking for that pitch, not having some pre-determined calculations take place for us, especially if they let us cheat and tell us that we're correct before the pitch actually comes in.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Since MVP Baseball 2005, every game based on the sport has been a disappointment for me. Simply put, nothing has been as fun as what EA Sports was able to produce before 2K Sports snatched up the Major League Baseball license, the same way EA Sports did with the NFL license.
Really guy, really?

Come on now, Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but this is because you don't want to enjoy other games.

Quote:
While My Player is wonderful to have, it seems like a different approach to what MLB: The Show (Sony's baseball title) has done in recent years more than a truly original idea.
Huh? After reading your short preview on it, it sounds EXACTLY like RTTS, and not "a different approach".

This guys sounds "out of touch".

Quote:
The last new feature that was shown to me was also one of the coolest, provided it can be tuned properly. It's called Hurry-up Baseball and it allows you to skip all those annoying cutscenes and replays that you'd usually have to tap A (or X on PS3) to get through.
Ok I read enough. IGN, get a guy who values sports especially baseball, cause this guy seems to care less, and the coolest feature to him is "fast play" (The Show). Really now.

That is the only letdown from these big corporate sites that are not genre focused like Operation Sports. You get the guy who isnt into sports games, hanging on to nostalgia when there is many sports games after that game just as good, if not better, doing previews/reviews. Gamespot is guilty of this too.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 01-13-2010 at 06:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »