Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I just finished reading... so much better than the IGN write-up.

I like the swing mechanic, in theory. Up for normal swing, left/right for defensive... and down/up for power swing. The only swing a user has to conciously decide to use before a pitch is thrown is power. I'm okay with that.
Here is what I don't like about a "power swing." the majority of the time a hitter is trying to hit the ball as hard as he can..so if this is how this swing was intentioned, I'm fine with that, but just call it a "regular swing". But if it is swing you use when only trying to jack one that is going to result in a high % of HR's, I'm against it. You almost always hear hitters say that a HR was just the result of them making solid contact.

And also, I think you can still take defenisive swings while trying to hit the ball hard. You see guys all the time fight off a tough pitch on the plate and then come unglued on the next pitch and drive it out of the yard...seems hard to do when you can only execute the weaker swing.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
DickDalewood

OVR:

So they went back to up for contact and down and up for power?

Lame. The whole reason they went to down and up for all swings was to simulate and actual baseball swing (the step then the swing)... now they've completely gone away from that again.

I don't know... wait and see I guess at this point.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm not a fan of flashy junk on the screen. I don't need flashing words to tell me what pitch is coming. If it looks like ****, don't swing, simple as that. I hope there's an option to turn this stuff off.

The devs need to quit catering to the players with no skill. These same lamers quit online games if you throw them balls.

Last edited by HK-47; 01-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't like how they refined the swing stick mechanic, so I think if I ever get my hands on the retail copy I am either only going to use cursor hitting (if that's still an option) or create sliders designated for the "power" swing. I think what they did with that sounds messy.

I really like the pitcher-batter statistical analysis they went through, though. In the amount of time I have played baseball, I know for a fact that "ownage" exists in the real world, and I like how they've incorporated it in the game.

More to read, but so far I'm not too much of a fan of any sort of batter's eye (never was), but it sounds like it's implemented as best as possible behind the scenes. Now let's see if it's visually appealing as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the information sounds like things that were put back in from 2K6, 2K7, and 2K8. It's not a bad thing, but to know they first scrapped it all just to put it back in seems like a waste of energy. This is why we want to stick with one development team always.

Oh, and uh...

YOu should be blocked by big Albert. Just like in NBA My player mode. I made a Sg went to the Lakers and had to sit behind Kobe. You have to earn you way to play minutes and hope you go to a team that has a weak spot in their line up.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13

Overall, I'm not too impressed from IGN and Gamespots' early preview. However, they have done enough IMO to warrant a rental this year (didn't last year). The implementation of new statistical measures such as Avg. in day/night, against individual pitchers, etc. will definitely add depth to franchise. I am also waiting to see how John Kruk pans out.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
YOu should be blocked by big Albert. Just like in NBA My player mode. I made a Sg went to the Lakers and had to sit behind Kobe. You have to earn you way to play minutes and hope you go to a team that has a weak spot in their line up.
I was talking about how they spelled it wrong.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
I was talking about how they spelled it wrong.
*facepalm* thats even worse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
I don't like how they refined the swing stick mechanic, so I think if I ever get my hands on the retail copy I am either only going to use cursor hitting (if that's still an option) or create sliders designated for the "power" swing. I think what they did with that sounds messy.

I really like the pitcher-batter statistical analysis they went through, though. In the amount of time I have played baseball, I know for a fact that "ownage" exists in the real world, and I like how they've incorporated it in the game.

More to read, but so far I'm not too much of a fan of any sort of batter's eye (never was), but it sounds like it's implemented as best as possible behind the scenes. Now let's see if it's visually appealing as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the information sounds like things that were put back in from 2K6, 2K7, and 2K8. It's not a bad thing, but to know they first scrapped it all just to put it back in seems like a waste of energy. This is why we want to stick with one development team always.

Oh, and uh...

Yeah. Im with you on the swing stick blzer. Even though I can't stand the swing stick, id much rather have you just pull back on the stick and then forward for all types of hits and not separate contact from power. Other than that, i like what 2K is trying to do and will keep an open mind towards the game this year.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »