Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands On

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Hands On within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: OS: Major League Baseball 2K10 Preview (PS3)

I thought Chase said he didn't get to play the PS3 version.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

I honestly thought they removed turbo in 2k8.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

I know it's too little too late and I know I haven't had the opportunity to use the new system, but it seems like everything could have been implemented better if instead of changing the swing stick mechanics for the differnent swings they added a trigger to choose between the different swings and kept the mechanics the exact same.

This would have allowed a user to use a defenisve swing from either a contact or power swing and if they added a check swing, it could also have been the same mechanic for both swings.

Either way you have to pre determine prior to the pitch if you are going to use a contact or power swing, so that wouldn't be an issue.

My thought is that even when Ryan Howard is down 0-2 he is still swinging out of his shoes at almost anything, but there are still situations on a borderline pitch where he may at first thought the pitch was out of the zone and at the last second realized it may be closer and try to take an emergency swing at the last second in attempt to stay alive. His mindset going into the pitch is for his "power" swing, but he can still throw a defensive swing out there if needed.

I'm still not 100% sure, but from what I understand from all that I have read, it seems like you can only do the defenisive swing from a contact swing and not a power swing. In other words, it has to be a flick of the stick to the left or right from the center position (which is where the contact swing is initiated from). However, once you pull back for the power swing, you are pretty much locked into a power swing...unless you can go left and right from the down (power swing) position to execute the defensive swing. If so then, I can live with that, though I'd still prefer one motion for all swings with a trigger pulled to modify between power and contact and then your swing, defenisve swing and check swing would always be the exact same motion.

Chase can you clarify?

Can you take a defenisve swing once you pull back for a power swing or can it only be accomplished from center (on a contact swing)?

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 01-28-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nld230
I honestly thought they removed turbo in 2k8.
I thought so, too. Thought 2K7 was the last time it was in.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
All Star

OVR: 35
Good preview, Chase. I'm probably passing on this one unless the reviews after it comes out are glowing and there aren't any bugs.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I'm pretty sure you are right. Haven't had turbo since 2K7....
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
He mentioned fielder turbo, which was still in last year as I recall. It was base-runner turbo that was removed after 2K7.

I got a kick out of this...so true:

Quote:
The relationship gamers have had with the MLB 2K franchise in recent years is similar to one that can happen to people with significant others they no longer truly care about. Those people in now-loveless relationships hold out hope that their wife, husband, boyfriend or girlfriend will change back into the person they originally fell in love with in the first place. They try to find false signs of hope in insignificant events because they really want to believe that the person they fell in love with will return and just needs to be brought back to the surface somehow. Unfortunately, it usually ends up being smoke and mirrors, and those people just have to accept the fact that they need to move on and find someone else.

Still, there is another group of people in the above scenario who will be so jaded by the initial failed relationship that they will no longer believe any relationship can work, which is perfectly acceptable as well.
Pretty much nailed the two major views on it.

Good review. My Player sounds like it could be a fun alternative mode and it's good to hear so much has gone into pitching and batting in terms of making ratings/ability count more.

I'm holding out hope that we still have a check swing via the button controls, because aside from that whole issue, 2K10 has sounded mostly promising.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Soxfan, I'm fairly certain fielder turbo hasn't been in since 2K7. Also not to nitpick Chase, but the stealing mechanic he mentions is not new either. Your runner would go when you released the trigger last year too, so you couldn't preload steals in 2K9 either, but hopefully stealing is more solid and smooth this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »