Home

Mike Wang Has Left EA Canada and the NBA Live Development Team

This is a discussion on Mike Wang Has Left EA Canada and the NBA Live Development Team within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Wheres Mike Wang?

I've been highly critical of Live10 this year, knowing that Mike was the lead on the game.

And even though I was not happy with this year's purchase, I knew that Mike would get the game atleast close to what the 'sim' community wanted if given time.

With this announcement though, I have no confidence what soo ever in Live EVER being a real threat to the 2k series again.

He has literaly been an extension of this community while developing bball titles over the years. With him and Marcus exiting within the same year, the signs coming from the EA camp are pretty clear.

This franchise has waaaay too much internal overhaul annualy, to ever establish a good product come release time.

Live11, will introduce a new lead AI Game Designer for the 2nd or 3rd time.... in what 5 years? No wonder this franchise has seemed soo stagnant for soo long.

Horrible news.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Yeah, if they don't go for a Fifa level of depth and simulation, I'm done with this game as quick as I got on board. Mike was trying to do that. It wasn't either Marcus' or his fault the game has stunk for so long. Just like Ian with Madden , this isn't gonna happen in one cycle. If they change directions again, it's gonna destroy any credibility this series gained this year. And guys like me, who for years thought NBA Live was king, only to leave it for 2k, that finally gave Live a second look, are gonna head right on back out the door. I'm really concerned today....

This series has been a disaster on the next gen.

Honestly, Beluba and Marcus being "moved on"....you can spell the end of LIVE 11 right there. No doubt they'll release something and hype it up. Any idea that new guys can walk in and replace a guy like Beluba on a short development cycle is complete crap though.

I am really dissapointed with the way they've completely abandoned NCAA (read the freezing thread...it's a disgrace)...

Now this.

I like NBA 2K, but strong competition is good. This is basically EA waving the white flag.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 13

I have nothing but respect for Mike Wang. I'm very disappointed to hear this. Even with the terrible sales it comes as a surprise to me because the reviews got better (rightfully-so). NBA Live was such a mess we knew it was going to take a few years to seriously compete.

They still have a solid base to build on top of Live 10 so all is not lost. I've always wondered if it made more sense for EA to re-focus NBA Live as an online only game.

They have the dedicated servers they just haven't put any effort at all in making the game as good as it should be online. Basically make it a more expensive XBLA title. Right now VC/2k Sports is really struggling with the online experience. I think EA missed out on a great opportunity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision

Honestly, Beluba and Marcus being "moved on"....you can spell the end of LIVE 11 right there. No doubt they'll release something and hype it up. Any idea that new guys can walk in and replace a guy like Beluba on a short development cycle is complete crap though.

I am really dissapointed with the way they've completely abandoned NCAA (read the freezing thread...it's a disgrace)...

Now this.

I like NBA 2K, but strong competition is good. This is basically EA waving the white flag.
CV,
This is the fallout from Live 07 finally catching up and rearing it head. They made the changes to improve, but just like in the email I sent to EA back then.. they turned a lot of people off(myself included) and customer support waned. Also claiming written from the ground up caught up too. Too many issues are still present from my QA days for EA. Freezing issues, the surveys after 07, and 08.. Im not going to say that they didnt try to improve.
Most didnt even know Live 06/07 was still using the AI94 coding from the Genesis days. But this series took too long to improve, and that 'next year' mantra we've heard this whole 360/ps3 gen.
I agree with everything you said man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Just got an e-mail from EA. Mike Wang has gone back to the U.S. No more Beluba. Yaw put this out a bit ago:

Hello everyone,

Today we are here to announce that Mike Wang has left EA Canada to return to the United States. We thank Mike for all the hard work and leadership he brought to the NBA LIVE franchise and we’re very excited to announce what’s going to happening with NBA LIVE 11. Big things are on the horizon for this year’s title and once info comes my way I will be sure to inform all of you.

For more about this please follow this link: http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthep...ba-live-update

Thanks.

Yaw Obiri-Yeboah
Assistant Community Manager - EA SPORTS

P.S. I'm on EA's mailing list for my Fifa stuff. It's legit.

Wow for real EA?

This is sad for me as a basketball gamer... Its a good chance im done with this series period. I see no real desire to deliver
Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision

Now this.

I actually love this year's game. Taken in the context of the current state of what the game has been. 2k really has lost me with the framerate issues and the fact that Isomotion is lame. So I decided to give NBA Live another look. And was able to look at it from the aspect of being a salvage project. Why can't the management view it the same way? I totally agree about this series stinking this gen. But the game has grown so much in one cycle. It just needs polish and depth. Guys like me, who started with Lakers vs. Celtics, want to come back. I hadn't played a Live game since 2003. And I was back, back in love with Live. Now what is going on? Not getting this at all...... Build a great game, based on the foundation laid THIS YEAR. Stop groping in the dark. Stay on track. Then people will give you a serious look and the sales will come. Don't be the Buffalo Bills of gaming....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Sorry for forshadowing this guys, I feel like I put out bad Karma.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

Terrrible news.

I liked knowing there was a guy that you can trust will try and bring the simulation aspect into Live. Although I didn't completely like Live this year, it made some serious steps to contend. Losing a guy like Mike sure is a gutshot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »