Home

Mike Wang Has Left EA Canada and the NBA Live Development Team

This is a discussion on Mike Wang Has Left EA Canada and the NBA Live Development Team within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Wheres Mike Wang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
Honestly, I don't think they care too much about 'trust' and stuff. Look at the NCAA freezing thread here...tonnes and tonnes of guys with broken dynastys / freezing and yet not a single respnsonse from anyone at EA. Just a tokenary "there's not likely to be a patch" post months back.

They'll bring in some guy who's good at PR and ask him to hype the game up for 11. Then move on.

I've always bought their products but the complete lack of response re NCAA freezing has been really dissapoiting.

Moving on Mike and Marcus...........no support for NCAA....

Pretty clear..........
No offense to anyone but it was as clear as day that NCAA was in bad shape before release and at release. The last time they barely if at all released any media was during Live 2007 and that was a disaster of a game, and the straw that made them lose their fanbase.

The constant changes to me shows some serious instability and I just cannot see how anyone can just stick to that.

If all 11 turns out to be is big hype you can expect the small base they have to desert full force, and its sad because we will have quickly went from 3-5 basketball games including college to 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

anyways.

The thing that sucks is you get a team together and you dont even let them get multiple titles under thier belt before things are disbanded...seems like...well its obvious something else was going on.

makes no sense to bring these guys together then just call it quits.

oh well ;/
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 28

Per Ron's Twitter...There is huge news on the NBA front tomorrow. Be on the lookout in the morning.

hmmmmm....
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #28
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Per Ron's Twitter...There is huge news on the NBA front tomorrow. Be on the lookout in the morning.

hmmmmm....
If he goes back, it's really "game over..."

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
Someone gave me a small indication about this a few months back when it was clear that the LIVE 10 sales weren't all that good. (worse than LIVE 09 actually).

Marcus was moved and I heard the game was going to go in a whole new direction. I didn't want to post anything as I've had a tonne of respect for Beluba right back to NBA Inside Drive.

He's always been a great communicator...so, when he says nothing for months + I know he wasn't involved with patch 2 at all...then you start to read between the lines.

Now that's official........very, very dissapointing.

EA will post a tonne of rhetoric about "we want to make the best game possible"........and that's absolute crap.

EA want sales. Nothing else.

Marcus being moved on and Beluba "let go" = the end of the line for NBA Live.

This series is officially dead unless you like arcade stuff. Letting Beluba go basically is conceeding the sim market to 2K.

Sad day.

Good luck to Mike in whatever he does from here on.
CV,

Two things with your post that I'm going to immediately clarify. First off Marcus wasn't forced off of NBA LIVE. Marcus was offered a great opportunity with another game team and he accepted the offer. Marcus has done a lot for the NBA LIVE team and he's definitely an example I look to regarding being a good community leader. I aspite to do the same good work that Marcus did for the community and I know he's been great with all of you here on OS.

Secondly, your point regarding Mike being let go is NOT true at all. Mike chose to leave EA on his own and go back to the US. This was HIS decision and no one pushed him to leave the company. Mike is an awesome guy to work with and he has a TON of passion for what he does. It was definitely disappointing for me to hear that he was leaving but in the end he had to do what was best for him and for his family. Mike's contributions to NBA LIVE have been huge. You only need to look at where LIVE 10 is compared to where LIVE 09 was. He brought a lot to the team and the team worked well with him.

Although Mike has left EA, a lot of you believe that the NBA LIVE series is done and you all couldn't be further from the truth. While Mike definitely brought a lot of great ideas for NBA LIVE 10, it took a TEAM to get the game to where it is right now. Everyone on the development team was united in the vision that they wanted NBA LIVE to be back among the elite of sports games. LIVE 10 took significant steps towards that goal and NBA LIVE 11 will take even greater strides. We have a great team of people that want to see this game back on top, they're all committed to seeing this game succeed. Although Mike is not on the team anymore that doesn't mean that the game has no hope. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James couldn't win championships by themselves it takes a TEAM to do that.

I understand a lot of you have a great deal of respect for Mike, I feel the same as all of you. Mike is amazing and he does his job better than anyone, however we still have a great team here working on the game and they are committed to giving you a basketball experience you all deserve.

Last edited by blackflash83; 02-01-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Further clarification.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #30
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflash83
CV,

Two things with your post that I'm going to immediately clarify. First off Marcus wasn't forced off of NBA LIVE. Marcus was offered a great opportunity with another game team and he accepted the offer. Marcus has done a lot for the NBA LIVE team and he's definitely an example I look to regarding being a good community leader. I aspite to do the same good work that Marcus did for the community and I know he's been great with all of you here on OS.

Secondly, your point regarding Mike being let go is NOT true at all. Mike chose to leave EA on his own and go back to the US. This was HIS decision and no one pushed him to leave the company. Mike is an awesome guy to work with and he has a TON of passion for what he does. It was definitely disappointing for me to hear that he was leaving but in the end he had to do what was best for him and for his family. Mike's contributions to NBA LIVE have been huge. You only need to look at where LIVE 10 is compared to where LIVE 09 was. He brought a lot to the team and the team worked well with him.

Although Mike has left EA, a lot of you believe that the NBA LIVE series is done and you all couldn't be further from the truth. Although Mike is really good at what he does, at the end of the day Mike is just ONE man. While Mike definitely brought a lot of great ideas for NBA LIVE 10, it took a TEAM to get the game to where it is right now. Everyone on the development team was united in the vision that they wanted NBA LIVE to be back among the elite of sports games. LIVE 10 took significant steps towards that goal and NBA LIVE 11 will take even greater strides. We have a great team of people that want to see this game back on top, they're all committed to seeing this game succeed. Although Mike is not on the team anymore that doesn't mean that the game has no hope. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James couldn't win championships by themselves it takes a TEAM to do that.

When we're able to start announcing some of what's going down with NBA LIVE 11 you will all understand why I am excited to see what all of you will have to say about the game. I understand a lot of you have a great deal of respect for Mike, I feel the same as all of you. However, that doesn't diminish the team's capabilities and I strongly believe that ALL of you will see that the NBA LIVE 11 team is committed to recreating NBA basketball in a way that all of you will enjoy.
Flash

I appreciate the response. I work in the "real world" too man, I know you've got to put a positive spin on it. That's your job and I appreciate it.

You jump in here as it's your job to do 'damage control'. Fair enough.

If you guys really do give a crap about the basketball gaming community you might want to read this thread on NCAA freezing and actually respond. I am not alone in saying that we are kind of tired of the whole "hey, we are working on something great" rhetoric. Get out and support your products better man. Don't keep walking away from stuff and then expecting everyone is just going to forget stuff like this below:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ing-issue.html
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
yellow

23's Arena

backflash...

I hate to say it man, but telling up Mike jumped ship after the changes doesnt exactly make anyone feel any better about the series, new team or not. Its been the exact same for years now.

We've heard this before and it kinda stings this time because the next year thing has been worn too thin. People are at their limits and really, they dont see anything to be excited about. The marketing has practically been labeled nothing but hype now.

Its just a bad feeling overall because the thought of only one game is never a good one but at this point, EA almost owes it to their customers to deliver and so far its been far less than that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #32
yellow

23's Arena

Re: Mike Wang Has Left EA Canada and the NBA Live Development Team

Right now guys, lets leave 2k sports out of this thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »