Home

NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview

Operation Sports got a chance to talk with Mike Wang and NBA 2K producer Erick Boenisch about why Mike is returning to the NBA 2K franchise, why he left EA and what this all means for NBA 2K11.

Quote:
OS: "Did you return to 2K early enough to get involved in the grand scheme of things for NBA 2K11? In other words, are you fully involved with this development process and the "big ideas" that are going into the game this year, or is next year going to be your first "full" year working on the series again?"

Mike: "One of the wonderful things about this company, its tools, workflows and processes is that everything is very efficient, and it is just easy to get things done. So yes, everything that I wanted to work on this year has been incorporated into the plan. The interesting thing is, when I first spoke with Rob Jones [gameplay director for NBA 2K] about coming back, many of the things that I wanted to do were already in the works. Rob and I have always seen eye to eye on what makes a great basketball game, so we were able to get back into the groove of things very quickly. It was very refreshing to talk about the state of the current basketball games and start bouncing ideas off of each other again -- just like old times. And with the addition of Zach and Jerson, the College Hoops 2K gameplay producers, I could not have hoped for a stronger gameplay design/production team to work with. Personally, it did take me a couple weeks to get up to speed on all the new tools and features that the guys have been working on the last couple years, but now we are firing on all cylinders, and we are creating a title in NBA 2K11 that I know hoops fans are going to love."

Read More: Mike Wang Leaves EA, Heads Back To 2K Sports for NBA 2K11
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Re: NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview

Awesome, reading now.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 28
Wow, I still don't know what to think of this whole situation. The Live team really had me sold on their game last year, Beluba included. Now all this happens, I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see how this all pans out.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13
good to see beluba back at 2k.

does make me wonder how live is going to compete long term, because before beluba, they were not even close to 2k.

live 11 probably will still have some b influence

2k musta improved them programming tools because didnt b state he left basically because the engine, etc was limted, and they were covering game issues with animations. might have been a lot of "business speak"

anyways, him being back will only improve 2k. ea live has messed up big time letting him go.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 22
This sounds really great for 2K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
Well If its True that the Heads at EA want a different direction then Ok I understand his move, But from My understanding Live is still going to be a sim experience, Maybe something changed between November and February.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 32
This is pretty huge news for the basketball videogame industry. MIke Wang is the real deal. Look what he did for LIVE 10 in the short time he was there. I actually bought LIVE this year and not 2K for the first time since 2K's inception. I am pretty pumped about what Wang will do for 2K11! It'll be a tight race for sports-game of the year.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview

I'm happy for Mike and 2K.
I can't wait to hear what's in store for us in 2K11.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »