Home

NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K11 Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang Interview

Hopefully he can implement some of the roster update tools and dynamic dna of EA Live into the tendencies, instead of us relying on the 2KInsider.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Maybe they've got the tools now. Or maybe having been in contact with EA's tech and how they use it, he's got ideas of how VC's stuff can be used more effectively. Now, if you haven't been living totally in the dark, the observations that have been made about EA management and corporate culture are hardly new. They were the first assumptions made over in the other forum when we found out he had left and he just confirmed what was considered the real story on this. His only act of "throwing EA management under the bus" was being honest. He could have dogged the product and the team, but he was actually quite diplomatic.

They just wanted to make a different game, hoping to hit a home run next year. Maybe the NBA Live lead needs to have a pow-wow with Littman and Rutter. Home runs don't get hit often. Building a strong game over many iterations is how every sports title gets built into a legend. NHL,MVP,PES,NBA2K,NFL2k, the list goes on and on. I hate to say it, but Mike knows all of Live's strengths and weaknesses. Programming and tech. He could use that knowledge to help fix the few flaws that remain in the 2k product. It could be a really rough go of it for the EA product next year....
Haven't been on the dark at all my man, been playing sports game since Lakers vs Celtics on the MSX. And I accept your point of view and can't hide from the truth presented arguments. EA's bad rep hasn't surfaced from nothing.

But I believe that he could have handled both of his exits in a different manner. It's easy to say all the bad things about your former employee and all the good things about your next one.

Again, that's my point of view, no offense to Mike, it's his own business to mind.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
It won't be a race at all. It would be like a Hybrid vs. a muscle car.

When I said sports-game of the year I was referring to all sports-games, not just NBA. I was thinking it would come down to MLB The Show and NBA 2K11.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5
nba live 10 was first game i kept since 95 and now mike wang gone i wont be buying live next yr also that dude who run live dont know what the heck he doing for real
Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6
Wow. I never followed the B-Ball game but from the sounds of it. Sure wish they had someone like Mike for their hockey franchise....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #22
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantecamp21
Haven't been on the dark at all my man, been playing sports game since Lakers vs Celtics on the MSX. And I accept your point of view and can't hide from the truth presented arguments. EA's bad rep hasn't surfaced from nothing.

But I believe that he could have handled both of his exits in a different manner. It's easy to say all the bad things about your former employee and all the good things about your next one.

Again, that's my point of view, no offense to Mike, it's his own business to mind.
Fair enough. And please don't take it as if I was dogging you or your opinion. It just kinda frustrates me that, after seeing how NHL and Fifa turned it all aorund and became sworn to a vision of making world-class games and letting the sales be generated by that, Mike is now saying that they are in disarray/confused, yet again. Remember, these award-winning, sales killing franchises are produced on the same exact campus. I'm sympathetic to Mike, if they aren't committed to making a world class basketball sim, and trying to making 2k the loser, what's the point of fighting the war? There's no such thing as interpretations of a sport. There's no arcade or sim. There's a good sports games and a bad sports game. And EA seems to have no idea which is which....

P.S. I've played basketball since Atari. LOL!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Fair enough. And please don't take it as if I was dogging you or your opinion. It just kinda frustrates me that, after seeing how NHL and Fifa turned it all aorund and became sworn to a vision of making world-class games and letting the sales be generated by that, Mike is now saying that they are in disarray/confused, yet again. Remember, these award-winning, sales killing franchises are produced on the same exact campus. I'm sympathetic to Mike, if they aren't committed to making a world class basketball sim, and trying to making 2k the loser, what's the point of fighting the war? There's no such thing as interpretations of a sport. There's no arcade or sim. There's a good sports games and a bad sports game. And EA seems to have no idea which is which....

P.S. I've played basketball since Atari. LOL!
Yeah, it makes me wonder what they're aimming for in this next development cycle as well.

I'm really concerned about the direction that their basketball program is being taken. Peter Moore seems happy with all the buzz NBA Jam is generating, and that should be considered a very disheartening development.

It makes one wonder if Turmell will head up north all the way from Florida to give his input on Live as well.

Live 10 is a solid product with some very positives going for then (playbooks, pace, controls, accessories, etc). Running away from the foundation that Mike built will be a mistake.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like a Mike Wang groupie now. I bought Live this year (for the first time since 05) and now I'm back on the 2k bangwagon. I strongly believe Live has no chance next year. It's crazy because although Live has gotten way better, it's still not 2k. I hear A LOT of complaints about 2k10 but after playing the demo and store versions, I don't see what the fuss is about (except for the terrible defensive gameplay). If my player mode is the only broken piece of the game, then you have very little to complain about (compared to live).

All in all, I had 5 wishes in life, im pretty sure one of them would be to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make COLLEGE HOOPS 2k11

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »