Home

UFC Undisputed 2010 Q&A (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 2010 Q&A (Gamespot) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
UFC Undisputed 2010 Q&A (Gamespot)

Gamespot has posted a Q&A session with Omar Kendall, Designer of UFC Undisputed 2010.

Quote:
Gamespot: "What were the top priorities with this year's game?"

Omar: "The top priority with UFC Undisputed 2010 is a continued march toward being perceived as, "As Real as It Gets." We're constantly tinkering with game systems, graphics, and modes to ensure we deliver the experience our fans deserve.

One example of this is the revision of our fighting technique system and the introduction of the fight camp concept to our Career mode. In UFC 2009 Undisputed, players chose a striking technique and a grappling technique at the beginning of their careers and then worked exclusively on leveling those two techniques. This year, players will be able to visit fight camps and work on individual moves that they want to improve on or add to their arsenal. For example, if players want to strengthen their guillotine choke or learn something more esoteric like a Peruvian Neck Tie, they'd go to a fight camp and work on it. Afterward, they'd be free to go learn something else from another fight camp, like a judo throw or a special takedown."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 02-04-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: UFC 2010: Gamespot Exclusive Q & A

Quote:
OK: While we've done quite a bit of tinkering with the submission system, the stick rolling method of submission execution and escape (known semiofficially as The Shine) will return. It's something that's steadily become a signature element of the game, and we're pretty fond of it. What we did want to change was the button mashing/brute force escape we utilized last year. This enabled fighters with high strength to be just as good at getting out of submissions as fighters with high submission defense.
I wonder how many controller's I'll go through this year....

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

WOW NICE!!!!

Day 1 purchase for me. I am part of the online community that is still playing UFC 2009 to this day. I still play almost weekly.

Fantastic game and balance. Having the ability to separate moves is going to be sweeettt!!!

Plus the new fighting styles are tight and will finally have Machida's Karate style. The greco roman = This means there HAS to be cage work!!!

Quote:
We've implemented full cage support in UFC Undisputed 2010, and its effect on gameplay is huge. Since this year also sees us introduce new fighting techniques, including Greco-Roman wrestling, we feel that this, combined with all the other gameplay elements, like using the cage to prevent a takedown, is sure to have a dramatic impact on the way the game is played. Our design approach to implementing cage gameplay allowed us to utilize our universal grapple system concept. On the ground, we have a rising hierarchy of positional advantage based on how much threat potential one fighter has in relation to another. In the case of two equally skilled fighters in open guard, for instance, the fighter on top is in a slightly better situation than the fighter on the bottom. We express this by saying the top fighter has a 55/45 advantage over the bottom fighter, expressed in the damage output of his strikes, the lethality of his submissions, etc. Put the same two fighters in the mount position, for instance, and that advantage changes to something much more dramatic, like say a 90/10 in favor of the top fighter.
We've utilized similar thinking with regard to the cage. Let's say we have the same two equally skilled fighters in the single collar tie position in the middle of the octagon. We consider this position to be one in which both fighters have equal advantage--a true 50/50 position. If one fighter manages to push his opponent up against the cage, he'll restrict his movement, limit the force he's able to generate on his strikes, and make it harder for him to regain energy; thus, shifting the balance in the favor of the free-standing fighter. It's an elegant system that we feel accurately represents the strategies employed in a real UFC fight

Last edited by Phobia; 02-04-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Here is the rest of the Q&A:

GS: What were the top priorities with this year's game?
OK: The top priority with UFC Undisputed 2010 is a continued march toward being perceived as, "As Real as It Gets." We're constantly tinkering with game systems, graphics, and modes to ensure we deliver the experience our fans deserve.
One example of this is the revision of our fighting technique system and the introduction of the fight camp concept to our Career mode. In UFC 2009 Undisputed, players chose a striking technique and a grappling technique at the beginning of their careers and then worked exclusively on leveling those two techniques. This year, players will be able to visit fight camps and work on individual moves that they want to improve on or add to their arsenal. For example, if players want to strengthen their guillotine choke or learn something more esoteric like a Peruvian Neck Tie, they'd go to a fight camp and work on it. Afterward, they'd be free to go learn something else from another fight camp, like a judo throw or a special takedown.
GS: UFC 2009 successfully married deep combat and easy-to-learn controls. What's changed with combat in this year's game?
OK: We're glad to hear GameSpot feels we were successful in this regard. The fight system in UFC 2009 Undisputed is something we pride ourselves on with the game. We're constantly looking for ways to improve on our systems, and one big way is in the further improvements to our ultimate fight control. In UFC 2009 Undisputed, clinch grappling and ground grappling were handled with multiple control schemes, which could be cumbersome to juggle depending on the fighter's orientation. This year, we undertook a new design philosophy that allowed us to better align our clinch grappling and ground grappling. In essence, players will now perform clinch pummels and throws using the ultimate fighting control the same way they performed transitions in UFC 2009 Undisputed.
GS: There was some criticism of the submission system in UFC 2009--the button mashing/stick rolling wasn't a particular favorite and there seemed to be a lack of flash submits. How has the submit system changed this time around? Is submission success still tied to your opponent's stamina level?
OK: While we've done quite a bit of tinkering with the submission system, the stick rolling method of submission execution and escape (known semiofficially as The Shine) will return. It's something that's steadily become a signature element of the game, and we're pretty fond of it. What we did want to change was the button mashing/brute force escape we utilized last year. This enabled fighters with high strength to be just as good at getting out of submissions as fighters with high submission defense.
Now all fighters will utilize The Shine, but the parameters that govern the success of getting out of a submission have changed. For UFC Undisputed 2010, the submission calculations will use either a fighter's submission defense or his current energy level expressed as a percentage--whichever is higher. For example, let's say a fighter has a submission defense skill of 50. If the fighter has 100 stamina and full (100 percent) energy, the game will look at this energy level, and the fighter will have a great chance of getting out of a submission. If the fighter has 100 stamina and has used the majority of his energy reserves, the game will look at the fighter's submission defense skill; in this case, shine hard! We feel this system is fairer to players and more representative of how an actual submission struggle would go down.
As for flash submissions, all we can say is stay tuned! We've overhauled much more of the submission system, and we can't wait to show it off.
GS: Will the cage have any effect on gameplay this time around? If so, how will it be used?
OK: We've implemented full cage support in UFC Undisputed 2010, and its effect on gameplay is huge. Since this year also sees us introduce new fighting techniques, including Greco-Roman wrestling, we feel that this, combined with all the other gameplay elements, like using the cage to prevent a takedown, is sure to have a dramatic impact on the way the game is played.
Our design approach to implementing cage gameplay allowed us to utilize our universal grapple system concept. On the ground, we have a rising hierarchy of positional advantage based on how much threat potential one fighter has in relation to another. In the case of two equally skilled fighters in open guard, for instance, the fighter on top is in a slightly better situation than the fighter on the bottom. We express this by saying the top fighter has a 55/45 advantage over the bottom fighter, expressed in the damage output of his strikes, the lethality of his submissions, etc. Put the same two fighters in the mount position, for instance, and that advantage changes to something much more dramatic, like say a 90/10 in favor of the top fighter.
We've utilized similar thinking with regard to the cage. Let's say we have the same two equally skilled fighters in the single collar tie position in the middle of the octagon. We consider this position to be one in which both fighters have equal advantage--a true 50/50 position. If one fighter manages to push his opponent up against the cage, he'll restrict his movement, limit the force he's able to generate on his strikes, and make it harder for him to regain energy; thus, shifting the balance in the favor of the free-standing fighter. It's an elegant system that we feel accurately
Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I just hope they fixed getting stuck in place when guys spam punches. I can't take another year of that. Phobia, you're gonna have to set up that fight camp, man. We've gotta handle business online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I just hope they fixed getting stuck in place when guys spam punches. I can't take another year of that. Phobia, you're gonna have to set up that fight camp, man. We've gotta handle business online.
4 real!!!!! You know damn straight the old MMA league crew will be busting some heads online.

I also don't have a huge issue with the punchs that stop you. If there is one thing I dislike about FN4, it is the way punches fly from both guys at all times. It just comes across rockem sockem.

But UFC 2009 did good in the way of getting leg kicked stunned you, punched to the face stuns you, etc. But blocking stops the stun and allows returned volleys. But that is just my preference.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I just hope they fixed getting stuck in place when guys spam punches. I can't take another year of that.
This was my biggest issue last year. If they fixed it I think this is gonna be a day 1 buy for me like last year's game.

Sounds like they did some good stuff to Career Mode. Can't wait to hear more about that.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 29

That part about letting us choose our own moves and customizing our fighter is HUGE.

Honestly, if they made the AI better, do what they said there, and make a "chin" rating then I'll buy it despite any unfixed flaws that carry over.

Submission system still sounds like ****, unfortunately.

Last edited by MC Fatigue; 02-04-2010 at 04:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »