Home

NHL 10: Improving Your On-The-Fly Coaching

This is a discussion on NHL 10: Improving Your On-The-Fly Coaching within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 30
Good read, I was looking for these a month ago..thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 10: Improving Your On-The-Fly Coaching

its funny when i play guys, that have played this game for 2 years plus and still dont know to adjust strats. they say it doesnt help etc.

it sure does help out. depending on who i play in my leagues, i adjust my strats to there game. some games i put a ton of pressure, others i sit back and wait for a mistake.

one thing you need to make note of, that when playing online the only way to change strats and have them stick during the game is using the d-pad on the fly. if you make strat changes at edit lines screen or from pause menu they dont stick at all. this has been that way for past 2 years. hopefully ea fixes this next year!!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0
I've been checking out OS for a number of years, but lose interest as the signal to noise ratio becomes unbearable. I just want to mention that Jayson Young is one of the contributors that keep me coming back.

My experience with the game improved dramatically when I began using strats with the D-Pad in game. One thing to pay attention to is the commentary, as they will clue you in to when a change is needed. When they complain that the slot or point is no longer available, you know the AI defense is using a corresponding defensive strat and pressure.

Likewise, they talk about the slot or point being open for the other team, it is a clue you need to switch up. In time, you will recognize when this is happening and make the switches before being called out. Then you get the reward of the commentators pointing out that the other team keeps trying something that is no longer available.

Sometimes, as I read complaints about the AI getting easy goals, or catch-up logic, I have to believe these guys are not making adjustments. And in online play, altering your strategy can have dramatic effects. Too many players role with whatever they have set-up to begin the game.

I would love to read even more in-depth discussion of strategies that affect gameplay in NHL 10. Things like what kinds of players to place on different lines, and how to evaluate what kind of offense is good for different types of player would be great.

I just started getting into real hockey a year or so ago, and Jayson's articles on how to play defense in BAP really increased my enjoyment of hockey on TV. NHL 10 is probably the best game for actually teaching a sport that I have played.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 02-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 10: Improving Your On-The-Fly Coaching

seems like the only forcheck that works is the 3-2. Everything else just has the players retreat to the blueline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »