Home

MLB '10: The Show - Top 5 First Baseman (Show Community Site)

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show - Top 5 First Baseman (Show Community Site) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Top 5 First basemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek2Jeter
I don't think he got better. Sure he hit a career high 40 HR, 4 more than last. But he had 20 less RBI compared to last year.
RBIs is a stupid way to measure a player's ability. Hmm, he also had a spike in walks as well and for most of the seasons was arguably the only feared hitter in the lineup.

Quote:
His BA has been declining the last 3 years...not by much but it's still something to speculate on.
Is a .005 drop over three years really substantial? That is literally a difference of a couple of hits.

Quote:
His OBP is the one bright spot that he has improved on. That goes with the career high 119 walks. But there is a very good reason for that. You all said it. His team sucks. Nobody in their right mind pitches to this guy.
And thus you shouldn't hold RBIs against him.

Quote:
Also, Derrek is probably faster, maybe a better baserunner, maybe better bunting, maybe better arm strength and accuracy. Do you guys get my point? He isn't rated higher cause he's a better hitter and defender, he's rated higher cause his overall game is probably more rounded out than Adrians. And yes some fat guys like Pujols and Tex are good base runners. And Fielders bat makes up big time for his lack of speed and base running.
Aside from speed and being a better base-runner (or base-stealer would be more appropriate), it really is a wash offensively... maybe Adrian should get the nod considering how drastic the home and road splits are.

However, we're talking about one or two point differences that can explain the differences in overall. As a matter of fact, to me it appears that Berkman, Lee, and Gonzalez all have the same overall.

Edit: Sox fans, Youk is rated higher than Adrian, you guys don't need to trade for him anymore.

Edit 2: At least I can confirm that Adrian is a straight A up overall.

Last edited by BatsareBugs; 02-19-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #26
Rookie

AInquisition's Arena

OVR: 6
Also, Adrian plays in a hitter's hell. Park Factors are your friend.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: MLB '10: The Show - Top 5 First Baseman (Show Community Site)

LOL at Derek Lee being #8, and Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Morneau being so low.... Move A-Gon to #5, and Morneau to like #7, and D-Lee OUT of the top 10. That's pretty bad he is rated that high.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
LOL at Derek Lee being #8, and Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Morneau being so low.... Move A-Gon to #5, and Morneau to like #7, and D-Lee OUT of the top 10. That's pretty bad he is rated that high.
My guess is that he's rated so high because you know his defense is maxed out and he probably has above average speed which factors in the overall rating altogether. He also had a pretty good season offensively last year.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #29
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Derrek Lee deserves to be rated in the top 10, IMO.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05
My guess is that he's rated so high because you know his defense is maxed out and he probably has above average speed which factors in the overall rating altogether. He also had a pretty good season offensively last year.
Maxed out defense.

He Defense is very good, top 3 IMO, but maxed out? I wish they were more conservative with their ratings. I like Madden's new approach to rating where you only have a 99 in something if it is HOF status. I hate seeing guys with 99 power, speed, arm strength, ect.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Maxed out defense.

He Defense is very good, top 3 IMO, but maxed out? I wish they were more conservative with their ratings. I like Madden's new approach to rating where you only have a 99 in something if it is HOF status. I hate seeing guys with 99 power, speed, arm strength, ect.
Well maybe not maxed out, but you know his defense will be superior to A-Gone's and Morneau's which helps put him ahead of the two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05
Well maybe not maxed out, but you know his defense will be superior to A-Gone's and Morneau's which helps put him ahead of the two.
A-Gone is the best fielding 1B IMO. Texiera #2 probably, and then then Morales, Morneau, and Lee in the #3-5 spots.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »