Home

NBA 2K10 PC Online Patch Update (Joystiq)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K10 PC Online Patch Update (Joystiq) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: NBA 2K10 PC Online Patch Update (Joystiq)

I wrote this on January 21, 2010(mcgradybunch is a Mod) at the 2K Sports forums but it applies to this thread:

"mcgradybunch, you must understand the PC version was released on Oct. 12. On Nov. 8 the online features on the PC suddenly stopped working(all online format was broken/unavailable/could only play against CPU). Then on Dec.1, online suddenly worked again(could play against humans online). Suddenly on Dec 3, online features completely stopped working again.

About 6 days ago PC online was again suddenly restored(could play against humans online) but around 10 hours ago, online features again stopped working. Back to only playing against the CPU. So all this inconsistency is really ****ing off the PC users.

Not only that but the consoles(XBOX 360,PS3) got the first patch which fixed the plaguing issues(added contact in the paint/lead pass problems/CPU taking away 2 Time-outs when only 1 was called/MyPlayer Quarter Length extended from 5-12minutes/etc etc). mcgradybunch, try to play this game without even patch #1 for 3+months(almost 4 months) and you will say to yourself like I do that at times this game becomes unplayable. With Patch 1 and 2 being the combination of the PC Patch this game will be an awesome game.

The communication has also been not very good lately. The twitter posts from Ron(the orignal first post) I compiled shows that the PC patch is on the same timeline of consoles 2nd patch as well as "patch shouldn't be far" all equaled 1+1=2. Meaning now is the time for the PC Patch to be released.

I was patient(for 3+months) until the 2nd patch for both consoles came out and yet not a word about the PC patch. I'm sure mcgradybunch if you only owned the PC version you would feel the same way.

It's hard to be patient for too much longer when this game is a 12-month cycle(meaning every year a new version will be released) and 25%-33% of the cycle has been completed. Hell, it's almost the All-Star Weekend and the patch is still not here!

NBA 2K9 on the PC had no online features but the patch was released Jan. 14, 2009 and only 1 patch was released on XBOX 360/PS3/PC. NBA 2K10 included online features on the PC and the consoles got 2 patches while PC combines both into one. Even still, the patch should be released this week again reading the Twitter posts from Ron that I included as evidence/proof and if not 2K Sports are liars.

Hopefully mcgradybunch, you understand us(the PC users) a little better."

Now, online did work 1.5 weeks ago for about 3 days. It hasn't worked the past week. I'm surprised this finally got to the media.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I just had to reformat. Something was running in the background eating up my RAM and had my CPU just going nuts. So I went back to square one with drivers and the whole nine. I'm using about 15% of my 8 gig of RAM and have 512 of DDR3 on my 4670. My quad is running at 1 to 4% at idle. I'm able to run 1920x1080 at right around 58-60 FPS with Low Stadium, Med textures and Med crowd and have High players. Now compared with PES, I can max everything out. And run Fraps in the background with it still giving me 30 FPS solid. If I turn anything up on NBA it's a stutter-fest. But I think that I can live with what I've got for now, it is running butter smooth, for now....

I think half of the performance issues with this game is no DirectX 10 support. You have to install 9.0c, even if you have 10, huh? Why not write support for the newest and best coding? One of the biggest things that DX10 offered was better graphics support. And I'm also not seeing where there's strong Multi-Core support. The .config code is based off of single-core architecture. Multi-threading is here to stay. This game is just a really basic port. I'm starting to see that they (2k) arent' really trying to excel on the PC platform. That's where they could really make their games shine. But sadly, no. Probably just considered a secondary market. Really starting to worry me about what type of quality to expect out of MLB. If it doesn't deliver a kick-butt graphics experience, I'm just not buying. 360 version is a jag-fest and a half on my 42"
they really should build it on PC first and make use of DX11 THEN port it to the consoles...

Metro 2033 is done that way and look how pretty that game is on the PC...

Last edited by Goffs; 02-27-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
they really should build it on PC first and make use of DX11 THEN port it to the consoles...

Metro 2033 is done that way and look how pretty that game is on the PC...
I've always hated that the underlying philosophy is to build a game that will run on the most PC's then just offering some slight graphics upgrades for the high end user. Build a kick butt game for a great PC and then have the lower end PC's disable functions if it can't handle them. Games like Crysis do this. That will really drive creativity and push the developers to really see what they can do. It's funny, EA Sports used to be known less than affectionately as EA Ports, for it's lack of innovation between console and PC games. I guess that 2k is no better. I agree totally with you. Build to the newest tech, which is normally the PC platform. Every 18 months the current console is totally out of date.

It's sad, but it's really about economics. The main money is thrown at consoles, based on sales and the lack of compatiblity issues. But it doesn't lead to innovation and setting up for what would be considered mainstream tech by the time the next console gen is ready to roll out. Heck, the PC market and the advances made with that hardware could help the developers to be involved in what they would need for the next gen of consoles to be equipped with to drive innovation in gaming. Instead, you have this trial and error approach, where developers get kits of possible final configs and have to go back to square one. Then we, the gamer get glorified betas for two years while they figure out what the hardware can actually do. Seems kind of backwards.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Pro

Funny how a day after this Joystiq article was written, online worked again. Roughly 11 hours ago it stopped working. The server/online not working also includes XBOX 360/PS3.

Perhaps this means the PC Patch is being released tomorrow!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 16

this calls for a class action lawsuit for false advertising

alot of us are going to get our $20 back
Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Pro

Online came back 2 hours ago. Same time as when consoles online came back. Wonder how long it will last...

Although PC Patch is far more important than online(as patch will include online fixes as well as gameplay fixes) right now.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
this calls for a class action lawsuit for false advertising

alot of us are going to get our $20 back
LOL good luck with that!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Just glad to see that a mainstream media outlet has gotten involved. The official 2k forums somehow keep deleting all the threads that complain about the lack of a patch for the PC version. I'm just hoping that the patch has the same framerate improvements as the console version got. For the amount of RAM and processing power that I have available to run the game, the graphical performance can only be described as "substandard." I run PES2010 at all settings maxed out and run at a buttery smooth 60FPS. I can't begin to come close to that with NBA2k10. That combined with the various AI issues and online functionality problems, makes it really evident that patch support is something that needs to be supplied, even if the game does retail for only 20 bucks.

Thanks to Joystik for taking up the banner of many a frustrated gamer! To the 2k staff, please stop making this a secondary priority and giving this a skeleton crew. Make this a main priority, you chose to put a release out for PC, please support it with the proper level of customer support. There are many besides just myself who are looking at this scenario as to whether we really want to buy future titles, such as MLB2k10, on the PC platform. Will it be supported with the same lack of urgency as NBA2k? The ball is in your court....
I think we as PC gamers need to show a little gratitude that 2K has even given a PC version to play, how many has EA Sports given us since 2008?

online play is nice but they could have made this a priority and charged us the same $65 that consoles are paying, i got my copy at best buy for $20..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »