Home

MLB '10: The Show - Player Potential Fix Coming in Next Roster Update

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show - Player Potential Fix Coming in Next Roster Update within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Player Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperWork
Players\ performance is very dynamic. It is not totally uncommon for a star player who has hit his ceiling to fall off a cliff and regress significantly in proceeding years.

I want a game that closely mirrors this unpredictability. Please don't change this.
That usually doesn't happen to players in their mid 20's
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
WAT

Mr. Franchise's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperWork
Players\ performance is very dynamic. It is not totally uncommon for a star player who has hit his ceiling to fall off a cliff and regress significantly in proceeding years.

I want a game that closely mirrors this unpredictability. Please don't change this.
This. I don't like seeing Prince Fielder hitting 50 homers a year until he has 900+.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 20

Reading this thread it has become clear to me that I have no idea what the potential ratings mean. And reading this thread hasn't helped at all, either.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franchise
This. I don't like seeing Prince Fielder hitting 50 homers a year until he has 900+.
For me, much like in the NCAA series, this needs to be even more dynamic and tied a little closer to performance. It's fine for Mauer to have a 'C' rating if all that means is he can only get so much better, because that's probably the case. But if he has another MVP season he should never come down in rating. Conversely if he has a so-so year past the age of 28 or 29, sure, he probably should drop a point or two.

The problem I have is when players who are both young and talented AND have good seasons drop in the ratings for no apparently good reason.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

I cant believe how bad they messed up the potential! Its serioulsy a big issue! especially since this game is suppose to be the most "realistic baseball game ever" right... I cant even start a franchise because of this. I simmed a season to see how what happenend to 100's of the players affected by the tards and scea....Justin verlander for instance lost 7 mph of his fastball at 28 yrs old....Please fix this issue fast, this game is worseless to me and lots of others until you do...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminKG21
For me, much like in the NCAA series, this needs to be even more dynamic and tied a little closer to performance. It's fine for Mauer to have a 'C' rating if all that means is he can only get so much better, because that's probably the case. But if he has another MVP season he should never come down in rating. Conversely if he has a so-so year past the age of 28 or 29, sure, he probably should drop a point or two.

The problem I have is when players who are both young and talented AND have good seasons drop in the ratings for no apparently good reason.
You're putting the cart before the horse though.

I never understood why people want to see stats dictate a player's overall rating.

A player is rated based on his 'talent'; if he under performs, it doesn't mean he lost his 'talent', if he over-performs it doesn't mean he's more talented. It just means he had a better year than his talent would suggest, or a worse year than his talent would suggest. This happens all the time.

I think players should progress/regress based on the well established age curve.

Players peak at ages 26-29 and then decline after that.

Stats/performance should never dictate a player's core ratings, unless he's very young, and his talent is improving as he matures in the league.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminKG21

The key is to only drop a point or two in your example. I dont want Longo (Evan Longoria) to put up good numbers and drop 5 points. Can he improve 5-6 points every year? No way, he should be at the top of rankings already (close to it at least). He shouldnt start dropping off at his young age just because his potential is low (as the game says).

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'll try to put it as simply as possible:

"A" quality players need an "A" potential rating to maintain that "A" talent.

If an "A" quality player like David Wright has an "F" potential rating, he will decline RAPIDLY until he becomes an "F" quality player.

That's how the game works. "A" players will still decline in their mid-30s just like last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »