Home

MLB 2K10 Retail First Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 2K10 Retail First Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 28
I am one who looks at reviews as a gauge. Typically, I won't use one review to provide some sort of persuasion but several.

Usually, I disregard reviews altogether. However, I have purchased several games based on playing the demo teamed with the review to help me decide whether to buy or rent. Ultimately, it is up to the buyer and not the reviewer.

It is hard to read reviews that have a negative slant to a franchise that is liked by you (the readers and gamers). However we have to remember that the reviewer is offering their opinion. I don't pay much attention to the scores, I pay attention to the review itself and what the person found good and bad.

I actually bought Battlefield 2 based on reading numerous reviews. I wasn't a fan of the demo but the reviews are spot on about the game. It is incredible. Not as pretty as MW2 but the gameplay is outstanding.

When it comes to 2K baseball games, the biggest issue is consumer confidence. Those that are loyal to 2K or have been fans of the series WANT to read that the game is the best since 2K7 and / or that the game is a huge improvement over last year. Most reviewers, not just IGN, agree that the game is improved but isn't as good as it could / should be.

In the end, it is what you think of the game and whether or not it is worthy of a purchase. I still find it amazing how people defend a publisher / developer and slam those games not made by their favorite developers. I think the most important thing, to me, is to be a fan of good games.

As bad as 2K9 was last year, they added some quality stuff that is being replicated by The Show. This is why competition is good and why we want all games to be successful. I would rather have two great games from the same genre than one. It offers us choices and forces the developers to dig a little deeper.

In the end, gaming is entertainment, nothing more or less. Enjoy it....
Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: MLB 2K10 Retail First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
You're 100% correct as the decision lies with each individual gamer. To some, it's worth it to buy a PS3 for no other reason than to play The Show. And if you love digital baseball that much, that's the right choice for you.

My concern is on a broader level, I guess. I'm less concerned with whether this game is worth $60 to any given individual (as we all, depending on our relative circumstances, value a dollar or an hour of entertainment differently), and more concerned with at what point it stops being worth it for us as a large group of consumers to say enough is enough. When do we, as a group, stop buying games that are improved over last year's but still nowhere near what we have a right to expect? (Again, I haven't played 2K10 yet, and I hope it's awesome; I'm just basing this argument on the overall consensus among the reviews I've seen so far).
All of this talk and you haven't played the game yet. Your talking about boycotting something based on reviews none of which are negative by the way, instead of playing it for yourself. It's a worthless argument IMHO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »