Home

NHL 2K11, Wii Exclusive

This is a discussion on NHL 2K11, Wii Exclusive within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NHL2K11 being worked on - Motion Cap pics

I think the chances are very slim that this series will see the light of day on next-gen...just look at the sales results since 2k7. Financially it is their best move to concentrate on the Wii since they have 100% market share on that system.

As far as the 360 & PS3 goes, they already have been lapped many times over by EA so taking a year off will only solidify EA's stranglehold on that market.

Too bad they chose not to market the game more...it definitely would have helped their sales.

Last edited by Flyermania; 03-04-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

I know, I've said this before...but I wonder if 2K taking a year off on next-gen means that Natural Motion's "IceBreaker Hockey" will essentially turn into NHL 2K12 on next-gen consoles? That's providing, of course, that 2K signs on as publisher of IceBreaker and lets Natural Motion handle the game itself.

Probably wishful thinking (again) on my part in this thread, but IceBreaker IS scheduled for a 2011 release, so anything could happen. If Backbreaker proves revolutionary for football gaming despite its inherent arcade slant, IceBreaker could do the exact same thing by providing a different approach to hockey gaming. We shall see.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 03-03-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
As far as the 360 & PS3 goes, they already have been lapped many times over by EA so taking a year off will only solidify EA's stranglehold on that market.
OR

It'll make people miss having another option because as much as 2K was still running off Xbox tech NHL 11 is probably still going to be much the same as NHL 07. So when 2K comes back with something new made for this gen people might jump ship to that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

All the gloom and doom around here. So far both EA and 2K have chosen to take a year off before this and both times it paid off. I think VC will come through personally. It's what people have wanted, so lets be optimistic and hope this pays off. I honestly don't think it will be that hard to catch up to EA if they build off 2K10 and improve it all around.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
All the gloom and doom around here. So far both EA and 2K have chosen to take a year off before this and both times it paid off. I think VC will come through personally. It's what people have wanted, so lets be optimistic and hope this pays off. I honestly don't think it will be that hard to catch up to EA if they build off 2K10 and improve it all around.
EA took a year off when the 360 initially launched. 2K kept things going
with 2K6 on both the Xbox and 360, I actually had both games that year.

I own a Wii and have rented both 2K9 and 2K10. While I can see some
improvement I find it hard to play, as the graphics literally
hurt my eyes, it's just such a blurry mess. I hope they clean this
up for 2K11, maybe even simply the player models altogether and
focus more on the controls. I'm not so sure 2K will come back to
the 360 or PS3. If next year's Wii game does really well, maybe 2K
will just stick with Nintendo's console. If it does poor, maybe 2K will
scrap hockey altogether?

Last edited by FORMULA316; 03-04-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
OR

It'll make people miss having another option because as much as 2K was still running off Xbox tech NHL 11 is probably still going to be much the same as NHL 07. So when 2K comes back with something new made for this gen people might jump ship to that.
Except for the fact that the trend of sales for each game speaks otherwise. 2k's game has taken a complete nosedive since it went to next-gen. Any "fanbase" that would anticipate their return has whittled away to almost nothing, and 2k has no one to blame but themselves.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

Quote:
All the gloom and doom around here. So far both EA and 2K have chosen to take a year off before this and both times it paid off.
When did 2k take a year off? They've had a release every year.

Quote:
I think VC will come through personally. It's what people have wanted, so lets be optimistic and hope this pays off. I honestly don't think it will be that hard to catch up to EA if they build off 2K10 and improve it all around.
Not hard to catch EA? I totally disagree...2k's fanbase has been deteriorating for years. Inferior releases, reoccurring bugs, and non-existent marketing has dug the grave -- and 2k themselves had the shovel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
If by build off 2k10 you mean things that 2k10 actually did pretty well with, like incidental contact and the cpu offensive AI sure. If you mean keep the same spit shined last gen engine and crumbling foundation then no I disagree. Their entire sports line has been screaming out for a new "core" engine since this generation of consoles started.

This is their chance to do what EA did at the start of this gen and build from the ground up, get rid of all the broken code and truly make a next gen offering with hockey. They better not screw it up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »