Home

MLB '10: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB '10: The Show Review

The month of March is by far my favorite time of the entire year. Why? Because March signifies the return of baseball. I have been playing the game ever since I was old enough to walk; I still pick up a pack of baseball cards whenever I get the opportunity; I viewed my trip to Fenway Park as a religious experience; And I am one of those twisted individuals who will watch all 162 games of my beloved Detroit Tigers (and even game 163 last season, which I do not want to talk about). March is the month of baseball's rebirth.

March also happens to be the month baseball games are released, an added bonus that makes the month even sweeter in my eyes. I have been gaming for as long as I have been interested in baseball, so naturally the two would go hand in hand. I am proud to say that I have played quite possibly every baseball game ever created. From Hardball to High Heat to the Tiger Electronics monochrome baseball game, I have experienced them all, loving many, despising a few, and with many others falling into various levels in between.

Knowing this I am sure it will come as a surprise when I say that I was a bit underwhelmed by Sony's MLB 09: The Show last year. The game was most definitely a solid overall baseball title, but my biggest issue with the game was that after playing the '08 version to death, there was no aspect of the '09 game that really compelled me to invest a great deal of time into the title. I never felt that addictive pull as a baseball fanatic and hardcore sports gamer to keep playing.

But when I was told that I would be handling the review of MLB 10: The Show this year, I was definitely excited for the opportunity. With the promise of revamped real-time presentation, a new broadcast camera angle in the field, numerous RttS improvements (including the ability to call a game as a catcher) and upgrades to the series' awful throwing meter, MLB 10 seemed to have enough new content to differentiate itself from its 2009 iteration. So does MLB 10 deliver that elusive pull for this baseball junkie? Read on to find out.

Read More - MLB '10: The Show Review - Written by: Christian McLeod

Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Yipee! A review, finally!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
I'll read it later. Just so excited to see it up!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Rookie

paysworld's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB '10: The Show Review

I cannot agree with you more in your assessment of the game, Steve. MLB 10 clearly has this feeling of deja vu. It's an awesome game that has been stuck in time, since MLB 08. From presentation, to its menu, it just has that dated feeling.
They have failed to innovate, I'm just glad that you have picked up on that. Case in point, a lot of review site knock the NBA 2k series for not reinventing the wheel and keeping the same gameplay mechanics year in and year out, but the Show does the same thing but yet, they gloss over it. Let's just hope next year brings a slew of changes starting with the commentary team, new menu presentation and a new pitching mechanic for starters. I love this franchise but its starting to get stale. That if it aint broke don't fix it mentality can only last for so long. It happened to NHL 2K, Winning Eleven, here is hoping that we see some tweaks to make this series fun again, the reason I bought my PS3 in the first place.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19
I found the onfield gameplay to be the best thing about the game. Thanks for the review
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

agree 100% with this review except the pitching meter doesnt bother me.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Great review
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21

Nice honest review of this game! Scored it right not to high or to low

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »