Home

MLB '10: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13
While I agree that the game is largely similar to 09 (never played 08 or previous), I am also wary about developers adding things just for the sake of adding things when they have something already as good as The Show. This is something Madden has been guilty of over the years IMHO. I'd rather see changes under the hood to make the game as realistic as possible rather than have them add some new flashy feature. That said, I can see where people are coming from when they talk about a feeling of sameness. In that regard you are correct about The Show being a victim of its own success.

Also, you mention meter pitching vs. classic pitching. I agree that meter pitching doesn't individualize the pitchers enough and relies more on human input. Classic pitching takes care of this, though again there is really no interactivity in classic pitching. Basically it's pick your spot and throw your pitch and let the ratings take over from there. I'm fine with that as I prefer the realism that provides, but I can definitely see how others might find it dull. For me, I want my baseball video games to play like a text sim with pretty graphics which is why I do a lot of Manage Mode stuff. I realize I'm in the minority though.

Last edited by budsticky; 03-10-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1
I would luv to c a video review already..
Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14
Spot on about the meter pitching. I've switched to Classic Pitching this go round and won't look back. It's much more challenging (I actually throw 3-6 walks per game) and can enjoy the ambiance of the game without having to focus on the meter.

Am I the only one that likes the commentary? Sure it can get repetitive at times, but I do seemingly hear something new every time I play. I thinks it's the deepest commentary audio around.

And talk about a silver lining. If there hadn't been these Franchise bugs, I would have never opted to control all 30 teams. But what I've discovered is that I LOVE the added control. I use to hate it when lineups were out of whack, weird trades were going on, etc., but now I can keep it all to my liking. And rather than being tedious, I'm having a blast with it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: MLB '10: The Show Review

I think it's a sweet baseball game, and the gameplay is incredible. It just happens to be a glitch fest.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 11
I totally disagree with the idea of change for the sake of change. This game is very near perfect, not need for gimmicks. My biggest issues this year are the amount of bugs that once again ship out with this game is ridiculous. Every year it is the same thing with the Show, its ships with a boat load of bugs. And my other gripe is the player models, they need an update badly. Otherwise I would rate this game about a 9.5 if it weren't for all the bugs
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 46
Christian, yet again OS does it.
Another five star review.
when you do it like this, it doesnt matter what the final score is.
All is told and all that needs to be known is in the review itself.

i am hoping to see the Meter pitching 86'd for next year.
maybe they have something new in store for 11.

bravo.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: MLB '10: The Show Review

I agree with almost all of this review. But, I would still have to say the commentary is still some of the best around...but that's like winning the special olympics (think Madden...oh the agony). The main problem is a lot of the commentary has remained unchanged since '07...so it has gotten stale as hell. If this was the first edition of The Show we would be raving about it, but again...it's starting to feel dated after 4 years of it.

I also agree with the assessment that RTTS has remained relatively unchanged. For me, thats a bad thing. Just like the commentary...it's beginning to feel repetitive after 4 years of nothing innovative. I hope for a RTTS facelift more than anything for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10
So the huge gap between games has been closed dramatically compared to last season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »