Home

Tecmo Bowl Throwback Video Interview Shows Off Gameplay

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl Throwback Video Interview Shows Off Gameplay within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Video Interview Shows Off Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by babythug23
So if its off of the SNES it will have a real Season? Not the beat every team like on nes?
Yep there's a season mode.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Marion Butts ftw!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Game looks really fun. In the future Id like to see them take this game to the next level and push the annimations and graphics to next gen limits. Only because I feel the side camera can offer a lot even in a sim style football game. I'll be buying this game.

When you switch to 2d is the graphics going to snes version? I would have liked to have seen a 2d updated graphics engine as well. If nothing else cleaning up the old graphics with lines and detail,etc...
Hell yeah, I agree with everything you just said! Animations and graphics to next generation levels with different proportioned players, torn up fields, and acrobatic and harder hitting animations. Add in online leagues and tournaments and this game will take the place of the almighty NES Tecmo Super Bowl as the pinnacle of the series and forever live in infamy. I do wish they would have touched up the SNES graphics myself but we should all just be grateful it's part of the package. I could imagine Shank style 2D graphics in place of the classic sprites though.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
Banned

Re: Tecmo Bowl old school interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I can't wait to buy this game.

I don't think I can stomach playing the 2D version unless they made some serious changes to the sound. I hated the SNES version of this game because of the sound. The sound was just terrible to me. I never really liked the way a lot of developers used the SNES sound chip. A lot of it sounded like very cheap midi, even substandard for its time.

Also, the game seems kinda slow in 3D, and the cut scene models need work. I don't say that from a sim standpoint because this game is not supposed to be a sim. I say that because they did a better job with those in other versions. The proportions in this one are completely out of whack.

Another thing I'm hoping for is that we can change team colors, but I have a serious doubt there.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game. From the video it seems like they tried hard to keep the gameplay elements as close as possible to the original, so that's a big sigh of relief from me.
I thought the game seemed kinda slow at first glance myself but after further viewing it's not that the games slow but the player who was running with the ball was a slow runner. If you view the video again at the 1min 25sec mark pay attention to the different speeds each player runs at and how they differ particularly the player with the blue marker underneath him. See how he accelerates compared to the other players. Tecmo Bowl was always good at separating the average players from the stars and it seems to be even more pronounced in this updated version. Coming from one of the toughest critics when it comes to my favorite franchise of all time I'm really liking what I see. Can't wait!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Tecmo Bowl old school interview!

I think some of the animations could move a bit faster. In the video, the dev mentioned that there is a difference between the 2D and 3D version, and I think it has to do with the frame speed of some animations.

From watching it, you can tell that some of the animations in 3D contain more frames than the original 2D version, especially the passing animations. It could be like 2 more, but it's enough to change the overall speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Wow, I missed this game the first time around. Probably the only video football game I haven't played. Looks quite fun. Was this only available on the Nintendo system when it was first out? I'll be buying this one for sure.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Tecmo is one of the few games I take personal. There's real man-pride on the line. Tapping is manly!

See ya in a couple weeks on XBLA! Can't wait.
If tapping is manly then I have to be damn rugged. There is real man-pride on the line and I look forward to any challenge. Bring it on!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Wow, I missed this game the first time around. Probably the only video football game I haven't played. Looks quite fun. Was this only available on the Nintendo system when it was first out? I'll be buying this one for sure.
Different Tecmo Football games have been available on NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1... Gameboy, DS, various Mobile systems.

This particular version was available on SNES and Genesis. The earlier 8-Bit version was available for NES.

You can play Tecmo Super Bowl for NES here:
http://www.thesmartass.info/play/nes...cmo+Super+Bowl

... And for Genesis here:
http://www.thesmartass.info/play/gen...ecmo+SuperBowl

Last edited by TheWatcher; 03-28-2010 at 09:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »