Home

NCAA Football 11 Blog: Screens and Lighting

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11 Blog: Screens and Lighting within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
NCAA Football 11 Blog: Screens and Lighting

EA has just posted another NCAA Football 11 blog. Jean Adams, the Art Director talks about a couple of graphic improvements; the first being linear lighting.

Quote:
"Without getting too much into the art/technical details, we wanted to talk about a couple of graphic improvements; the first being linear lighting. This lighting technique allows us to more accurately control the material properties of everything that makes up the player. To put it in basic terms, we now have control over how bright or dark things get without losing detail. It also helps us get the authentic color on the uniforms.

Linear lighting also allows us to tune helmets, jerseys, and other player gear in a much more realistic way. For example; you’ll notice the skin looks more lifelike and less like plastic. Helmets and jerseys reflect the right amount of light. Colors are less saturated and react to lighting in a more realistic way. You might remember looking at previous versions of NCAA Football and feeling like things were too saturated and flat. We think we’ve addressed these issues thanks to this new level of control."

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24
new blog short is up

thanks to Hova 57 letting us know.

http://ncaafootball.easports.com/blog.action

Screens and Lighting
by Russ 03/25/10 3:40 PM

Here we are now just a short 4 months away from our July release date and busy as can be here at Tiburon. There were a few questions about whether our first screenshot was actually in-game or not, so I sat down with Jean Adams – Art Director on NCAA Football 11 – to talk about why the game looks better this year. We hope this blog will shed some light on the situation… (That is easily the worst pun I’ve ever had in my life).

Without getting too much into the art/technical details, we wanted to talk about a couple of graphic improvements; the first being linear lighting. This lighting technique allows us to more accurately control the material properties of everything that makes up the player. To put it in basic terms, we now have control over how bright or dark things get without losing detail. It also helps us get the authentic color on the uniforms.

Linear lighting also allows us to tune helmets, jerseys, and other player gear in a much more realistic way. For example; you’ll notice the skin looks more lifelike and less like plastic. Helmets and jerseys reflect the right amount of light. Colors are less saturated and react to lighting in a more realistic way. You might remember looking at previous versions of NCAA Football and feeling like things were too saturated and flat. We think we’ve addressed these issues thanks to this new level of control.

Jean is also a big into gear so he wanted me to point out the leg brace, Nike Jet gloves and the Air LT cleats

Overall we wanted to make lighting feel realistic and dramatic at the same time. At the end of the day we are hoping that you like the crisp and detailed graphics of NCAA Football 11.

Here is a comparison of NCAA Football 10...

and NCAA Football 11.

We think graphics are key, but before you ask… YES, there are bigger details coming on gameplay and Dynasty, so please be patient. In a couple weeks we are scheduled to release the first gameplay feature blog. I think you are going to like it; really cool stuff, no question about it.

Thanks for reading!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by drlw322; 03-25-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Rookie

BLACKjersey53's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: new blog short is up

skin is less shiny, nice! also love all of the new epuipment
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

O H I O man I can't wait.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

in the texas vs ohio st pic, it looks like it looks like it's displaying a different running animation on the texas running back. also all the other player looks like they are leaning more like momentum is involved.

is it me or are these Ncaa Screens kicking the Madden one's a@@

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28
Re: NCAA 11 Blog: Screens and Lighting

It's amazing how much lighting makes the game look much better.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

This has become a first day purchase just based on the UT Ohio St pic alone. The graphics, gear, lighting look incredible. I swear if I were to have seen that first pic on SI or something without staring at it, I would have guessed it was real. INSANE!!

I know its not all about graphics, but with a game looking this nice, you can easily overlook some of the core deficiencies. Kinda like dating a supermodel.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: NCAA 11 Blog: Screens and Lighting

Looks the same except for some new equipment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »