Home

Tecmo Bowl Throwback Hands-On Preview, $9.99 (PS3) 800 Points (360) Confirmed

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl Throwback Hands-On Preview, $9.99 (PS3) 800 Points (360) Confirmed within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
Tecmo Bowl Throwback Hands-On Preview, $9.99 (PS3) 800 Points (360) Confirmed

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Tecmo Bowl Throwback. The game is scheduled to launch in the next few weeks on PlayStation 3 ($9.99) and Xbox Live (800 Microsoft Points).

Quote:
"While being able to scrub between the new HD visuals and the old, pixely sprites is undoubtedly cool, I can't help but think that users would be able to get more bang for their buck if the developers had separated the two presentation styles into different modes. As it stands, the array of moves are limited to two buttons, no matter the visuals on-screen. You pass with one button, you switch your targeted receivers and players on defense (though never during a play) with another and you run with the left analog stick with the ability to break out of tackles by frantically tapping on a button. There's no speed burst, no hurdle, and no dive button. Yes, Tecmo Bowl Throwback is football at its simplest, so don't expect to find a replacement for Madden.

From my relatively limited experience with Tecmo Bowl Throwback, I can say that there's a lot of nostalgic fun to be had, though it's not quite the same feeling as it was back in the good old days, due to the lack of the NFL license. It also doesn't help that you can't create your own team, at least not in my preview version. Tecmo claims "customizable teams" as being included, but that only allows you to edit current squads. Thankfully every pro NFL city is represented, so it shouldn't take you all that long to get the proper rosters locked in."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360

Last edited by rm217; 04-19-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: IGN hands on and videos of Tecmo Bowl Throwback! Only $10 on XBL and PSN!!!

Atta boy! Good find. I'm PUMPED!!!

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 30
As much as I loved the Tecmo Bowl games, and I STILL have my Tecmo Superbowl cartridge and NES, I can't see myself playing this, at all. That was great way back then when we didn't have what has come since then. I have Madden 10,07, 2005, NCAA Football 2005, and NFL2K3 and 2K5 on my shelves and I really only play Madden 10. Time to time I MAY revisit those old games but they're ALREADY PAID FOR! Not spending 10 bills on this joka. Makes no sense to me or my pockets.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
As much as I loved the Tecmo Bowl games, and I STILL have my Tecmo Superbowl cartridge and NES, I can't see myself playing this, at all. That was great way back then when we didn't have what has come since then. I have Madden 10,07, 2005, NCAA Football 2005, and NFL2K3 and 2K5 on my shelves and I really only play Madden 10. Time to time I MAY revisit those old games but they're ALREADY PAID FOR! Not spending 10 bills on this joka. Makes no sense to me or my pockets.
To each his own. I'll be enjoying playing this game day and night. Looking forward to some competition online Tecmo Bowl style!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Wow, only 800 points? $10? That's a GREAT buy IMHO. Finally a company that gets their pricing right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
This looks exactly like Tecmo Super Bowl - same plays, camera angle, and game play. The two biggest differences are no real players and upgraded visuals. I loved Tecmo 25+ years ago but I really don't know if I'll play this much. It might be a great game for my kid since it's so simple.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Hands-On Preview, $9.99 (PS3) 800 Points (360) Confirmed

It's about time a football developer realizes that a snow setting shouldn't have to mean a blizzard. Hats off to Southend there

This game looks nice. First day buy, can't wait!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Hands-On Preview, $9.99 (PS3) 800 Points (360) Confirmed

I imagine the PSN will put this on sale for $4.99 eventually, I'll get it then. I got this game on the DS and it was boring. Some games you just can't bring back the fun on IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »