Home

Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcabanski
"During our time together, Ian also informed me that a lot of research had been completed that determined how many plays gamers had been calling in an average game, which was also coupled with some insight from John Madden himself. After these findings, the development team decided to completely overhaul the way plays are called.

The result is what is known as the "GameFlow," a streamlined game-planning option that will allow a virtual coordinator to call in a play for your team via headset based on a number of offensive variables that the game calculates."

Maybe this isn't well explained, but what does the number of plays called in a game have to do with a virtual assistant calling in plays, or play execution? This section of the review seems to take an odd turn -

They researched the number of plays people were calling, they had input from John Madden, so now there's a virtual assistant so players feel more like head coaches.

Did the writer mean number of pass plays vs run plays? I thought the set-up was for a discussion or address to raw number of plays, so there would be more accurate results like stats and scores. But then the discussion turned to the virtual assistant calling the plays and execution.
What I meant by this is that Ian and Co. were looking for a way to streamline the entire playcalling experience. This means that you spend more time in game vs fiddling with plays. The virtual assistant is like "Ask Madden" on steroids, selecting the best possible play based on your customized gameplan, or a number of variables that the features logic computes. I'm not sure this feature will result in more accurate scores or stats. I do know that it cuts down the amount of time I spend playing the game- which is a big plus for those not wanting to invest 1.5 hours per game.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Madden NFL 11 Hands-On Impressions (OS)

so it sounds like i can setup my play book with "favorites" I really like this. I won't have to needlessly sift through hundreds of plays when I'm really only familiar with 15 of the plays in a playbook
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This was a good in depth article. Only thing missing was the strategy pad, which was in another preview.

Maybe they didn't have enough time.
I spent a few minutes playing with the strategy pad. Basically it is all of the old pre snap plays just integrated onto the pad to be brought up and displayed. It's a streamlined pre snap experience. Ian didn't really go into this more in depth, and expect to see a future blog on it.

You guys need to understand that the build I played was VERY early in development. This will be the first hands on of many, so stay tuned, and don't read too much into any of this early information.

NCAA 11 on the other hand was a very advanced build, so what was taken from that should be read more seriously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
What I meant by this is that Ian and Co. were looking for a way to streamline the entire playcalling experience. This means that you spend more time in game vs fiddling with plays. The virtual assistant is like "Ask Madden" on steroids, selecting the best possible play based on your customized gameplan, or a number of variables that the features logic computes. I'm not sure this feature will result in more accurate scores or stats. I do know that it cuts down the amount of time I spend playing the game- which is a big plus for those not wanting to invest 1.5 hours per game.
How did you feel about the removal of the "sprint" button? I dont know if you play the EA NHL series but I love the way the analog stick, and ratings control how fast you move in that game.

Is the analog responsive enough to handle the lack of a sprint button? What I mean by this is if I see a hole can I jam the left stick up and the player will immediately start accelerating into his sprint?

Also, could you elaborate a little more on the new kicking meter?

Thanks for any feedback!

EDIT: When you say the pre-play controls were streamlined. Was it similar to the old PS2 pre-play controls? Those were infinitely better then what we have now.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
I spent a few minutes playing with the strategy pad. Basically it is all of the old pre snap plays just integrated onto the pad to be brought up and displayed. It's a streamlined pre snap experience. Ian didn't really go into this more in depth, and expect to see a future blog on it.

You guys need to understand that the build I played was VERY early in development. This will be the first hands on of many, so stay tuned, and don't read too much into any of this early information.

NCAA 11 on the other hand was a very advanced build, so what was taken from that should be read more seriously.
Can you comment on the run blocking assignments and execution?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Christian. As posted by Boregard, in this thread. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-controls.html

Did you see anything like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
Breakdown of legacy gen pre-snap assignment adjustments

Note: when using defensive playmaker controls there was no need to hit X first and all the adjustments were on the R-Stick which made this way way faster and way easier to use
and you could indivudually bumb or play off by hitting triangle, the receiver icon and up or down on L Stick or d-pad, and shade by hitting triangle the icon and L1 to shade left or R1 to shade right.

DEFENSE CONTROLS - DEFENSIVE PLAYMAKER
For Defensive Playmaker, highlight player, then press Right Stick UP = Linebacker hook zone/Defensive back deep zone:Right stick
DOWN = Blitz:Right stick
DOWN twice = QB Contain Blitz:Right stick
LEFT = Go into QB spy coverage:Right stick
RIGHT = Play a flat zone:Right stick
RIGHT twice = Play a curl zone:Right stick

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

It's hard to comment on how turbo being removed affects gameplay but I'm a big fan of ADDING options and not removing them. The NCAA team has left the turbo option in so why not Madden? This might make some happy but this could piss off some people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It's hard to comment on how turbo being removed affects gameplay but I'm a big fan of ADDING options and not removing them. The NCAA team has left the turbo option in so why not Madden? This might make some happy but this could piss off some people.
Rudy-

They didn't remove it, it's an option. It's off on default.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »