Home

Backbreaker Producer Q&A (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Producer Q&A (ESPN Videogames) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Backbreaker Producer Q&A (ESPN Videogames)

ESPN Videogames has posted a Q&A session with Rob Donald, Associate Producer of Backbreaker.

Quote:
Jon: "What are the game modes we can expect to play?"

Rob: "Obviously we have the normal Exhibition games, then we also have two season modes which are very different. The first one we just call Season mode, and it's pretty much what you'd expect from a standard season where you take a team and insert them into a custom 8, 16, or 32 team league. Then basically you play your way through the season, it's multiple seasons, so you draft new players and do everything that you'd expect from a Season mode. You can also fill the slots of those teams in Season mode with the teams that we ship with, and we're shipping with over 60 teams. You can also create your own teams and fill the Season mode up with them. You can create 32 teams and put them all in a league against each other, whatever you want to do.

The other season mode is the mode where I see a lot of people spending the majority of their time, and that's Road to Backbreaker. This one is designed around a real sense of originality, and you owning your team and actually progressing your team and taking that team as far as you can. In Road to Backbreaker, you always start with a custom team, so you can start completely from scratch or you can take one of the existing teams, change the name and play around with it. This gives you the ability to do as little or as much customization as you want to do. Then you take that team and you start off in a lowly eight team league. The idea is that if you finish in the top three, you get promoted into a 16 team league then you keep trying to work your way up. It's not what people normally play in a football game, and I think this brings extra value. We're pretty excited about doing something different. In fact, we were kind of worried at first about adding promotion and relegation to the game because that is not something that is featured very heavily in North American sports leagues, but being a U.K. developer, we see the kind of drama this adds year in and year out. From a basketball standpoint, I'm a huge Raptors fan, but I end up every year hoping we tank down the stretch so we get a better draft pick. This never happens in leagues with promotion and relegation. You always have something to fight for, and that's what we want to bring to "Backbreaker."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 22
"this is the type of action where you immediately sit up and save the replay"

Saving Replays confirmed?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Backbreaker Producer Q&A (ESPN Videogames)

this has to be my new favorite pic of BB. i just wonder if a couple frames ahead did the defender swim pass the OL or did he spin? whatever he did sumthing to get pass and its respected and recognizes in the game, yu can tell by the defender's hand on the OL's back. looks like he is using the OL body to gain position and momentum to take down the ball carrier. if the DL/OL interactions are like this consistently without the game feeling like it cheating for either side that AWESOME!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

my favorite part O_O

Quote:
Jon Robinson: What's the coolest animation sequence that you've seen lately in playing "Backbreaker?"

Rob Donald: The one that stands out right now is a desperate pass I made to an outside receiver. He was in tight coverage, but he managed to catch the ball. As he turned to spin past the defender, the safety who was guarding him grabbed the receiver and held him up with one hand. He held him up just enough where the receiver was pumping his legs and trying to get away, but he just couldn't get going. The strength of the safety turned the receiver back towards the line of scrimmage where the other defenders were running from, and the receiver got absolutely pancaked by a guy running full speed from the other direction. This is one of those killer, game-defining moments.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21

I like these screens also....

the receiver is trying to prevent an INT.

this stadium looks sick!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Banned

Clemalum07's Arena

OVR: 2

First post after reading this site for a few months.... Getting more excited about Backbreaker now that I am seeing more information. The game had slipped to a rent first for me but now it is almost to a first day buy again. The demo will make or break my decision.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 12

Is that a real stadium??? WOW!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I like these screens also....

the receiver is trying to prevent an INT.

How can yu tell the one in the brown is tryna INT it i thought he was on offense and beat the CB the ball first

Quote:
this stadium looks sick!

yea i thought so too

Last edited by GIveMeR3alFooTball; 04-28-2010 at 06:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »