Home

Tecmo Bowl Throwback Review

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl Throwback Review within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tecmo Bowl Throwback Review

Growing up in the late 80's/early 90's, one sports game reigned supreme when it came to neighborhood bragging rights -- Tecmo Bowl. Before the Madden franchise became the juggernaut it is today, Tecmo Bowl was the quintasential virtual football experience. Utilizing it's "chess" like playcalling mechanics, reliance on homemade gamepad moves, and NFL/NFLPA licenses, Tecmo Bowl came to define a generation.

Twenty years after the first games release -- and 18 after the release of the series' stellar sequel, Tecmo Super Bowl -- fans of the game are being treated to a completely new HD experience in Tecmo Bowl Throwback. For those of you unfamiliar with Throwback, Tecmo has taken the teams and rosters from 1993's Super Tecmo Bowl, added new HD graphics and presentation -- with an option to switch back to the old 8-bit graphics in HD on the fly -- and added online play for the first time in series history.

So is Tecmo Bowl Throwback an enjoyable trip down memory lane? Or should the series have been left to die in the 90's like Ryan Leaf's career? Read on to find out.

Read More - Tecmo Bowl Throwback Review
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Review

I agree that it's definitely a must-buy for anyone who enjoyed Tecmo in the past. The gameplay is solid and I've already had some legendary finishes.

I won a game tonight 10-7 in overtime. Despite dominating in yardage and time of possession, I still barely won because my Steeler offense struggles to generate points without some help from special teams or defense. In this game, the tides actually turned and my opponent got the defensive TD to tie it up. It was a great game. Just an example of what Tecmo can do for ya.

Editing the rosters has added a lot to the game. Colors don't even bother me. It only too about 10 minutes per team. The only thing that is kind of disappointing for me is that you can't change playbooks so some teams are a big challenge to use. Other than that, the game is rock solid and offers more than enough to do to get your $10 worth.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Considering I payed $20 to $30 for the original Tecmo Bowl, and this one is far better than the original, at $10 it's not just a buy, it's a steal! Good review!

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-04-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Considering I payed $20 to $30 for the original Tecmo Bowl, and this one is far better than the original, at $10 it's not just a buy, it's a steal! Good review MMChris!
Christian McLeod wrote this review...
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Christian McLeod wrote this review...
lol, I was just about to fix that! Blast you quote button, forever castigating my mistake!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 10
Now that's how you review an all-time classic game. Your review shows you understand what made this game so great! $10 for this classic in football gaming is a can't miss no brainer purchase. For that price your guaranteed a fun time and sure to make just as many friends as enemies with a the competitive nature of this title. It's sure to build many great memories and for that there is no price tag.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 27

Yeah, it's a solid game. It gets better as the season progresses and teams play harder.

Tecmo Bowl is back, and hopefully they'll stick around this time.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 05-04-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7
Authentic 93 rosters via transfer kit? Just curious on how this works and what it means? I have a PS3, by the way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »