Home

NHL 11 Gameplay Fixes Addressed

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Gameplay Fixes Addressed within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 11 Gameplay Fixes Addressed

I think they maybe altering the poke check due to the new slider setting they said they would be adding for stick lifts and poke checks. I don't exactly remember what it said.

But I'm really interested in the fix for the defensive AI, should be interesting.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 31

CPU AI and CPU Trade Logic are my two big things. Hopefully they're able to get both of those to the level they should be at by now.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str80uttaChicag0
I just hate when people complain about the pokecheck. It is very effective now as it should be. I can average 2.46 PPG since the latest tuner and Im not complaining about the
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Agreed the only reason everyone spams the poke check is because of all the gold glove/gold skate heroes who have their balance and puck control through the roof and can't be knocked off the puck.. hence the constant poke checking... Making the poke check effective has actually made people play a more team game and pass more.. now if they changed the ratings and made checking better/more realistic then there wouldn't be so much of a need for it but it is what it is.
I think chuck is on the right track. People are going to do what's most effective and right now, it's poke-checking (for the most part). The mention of a new approach to the "stumble issue" when a check or bump doesn't knock over the puck carrier means we might see more realistic player interactions.

Hopefully they can balance puck control/balance/deking with checking/bumping/poking/lifting. As it stands now, it's good to OK in some situations, but poor in others. I know from my hockey-playing days -- granted I was no dangler -- it was easier to control the puck the closer it was to you and the less you moved it. It often seems the opposite in NHL10; if you deke all the way to one side or back & forth quickly, you're practically untouchable (with ratings playing some part).

I think some of it can be addressed through tuning. I mentioned before that puck control at zero loosens things up quite a bit offline, including players losing the puck when deking too drastically or even when making sharp turns (usually lower-rated players). To me that says lowering puck control globally is a good place to start. However, when you factor in the variety of situations that affects, you start to see it's more complicated than a simple tuning adjustment.

Man, I'm going to have a blast talking shop at community day. And maybe I'll actually learn enough about how the game really works under the hood to know what I'm talking about for once.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I think chuck is on the right track. People are going to do what's most effective and right now, it's poke-checking (for the most part). The mention of a new approach to the "stumble issue" when a check or bump doesn't knock over the puck carrier means we might see more realistic player interactions.

Hopefully they can balance puck control/balance/deking with checking/bumping/poking/lifting. As it stands now, it's good to OK in some situations, but poor in others. I know from my hockey-playing days -- granted I was no dangler -- it was easier to control the puck the closer it was to you and the less you moved it. It often seems the opposite in NHL10; if you deke all the way to one side or back & forth quickly, you're practically untouchable (with ratings playing some part).

I think some of it can be addressed through tuning. I mentioned before that puck control at zero loosens things up quite a bit offline, including players losing the puck when deking too drastically or even when making sharp turns (usually lower-rated players). To me that says lowering puck control globally is a good place to start. However, when you factor in the variety of situations that affects, you start to see it's more complicated than a simple tuning adjustment.

Man, I'm going to have a blast talking shop at community day. And maybe I'll actually learn enough about how the game really works under the hood to know what I'm talking about for once.
I agree with you. The problem is that if you make the game more realistic I.E. lowering puck control globally like you said, there will be many whiners. Usually these are the figure skaters who do 1000 circles before they finally pull of their glitch shot.. I love that the poke check is working.. Before I would get STICK ON PUCK and nothing would happen. I would do this like 5 times.. Now when i get stick on puck, it pokes the puck away and I get called a poke spam cheater

If you know how to play real hockey, you should know that there isnt always alot of time and space. It isnt always figure skate your way to the slot..

With the way the poke check is now, I actually have to pass the puck which I love.. fast quick decisions are key not just speed
Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str80uttaChicag0
I agree with you. The problem is that if you make the game more realistic I.E. lowering puck control globally like you said, there will be many whiners.
No doubt. I started to type something to this effect, but decided it wasn't worth it. I think most of us realize there are different expectations within the gaming community. As such, the NHL team (and really any sports game dev team) are forced to walk a fine line in balancing gameplay.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3
I hope they improve puck physics in NHL 11. If you watch a real hockey game, the puck doesn't just glide around on the ice all the time. It pops up, turns over, rolls on its side, basically anything - especially along the boards. In NHL 10, 99% of the time the puck is either in the air or flat on the ice. Makes gameplay feel just a little bit scripted.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

they should just tune the game with two options: arcade or simulation. make the first for the whiners who want a bunch of button mashing (blades of steel, or whatever) and then the second mode for people like us here who want the hard core stuff.

i really like the game as is, but until shot totals for the CPU climb it's nearly unplayable once you get the controls down and hone your skills...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

can they make online ranked as playoff hockey instead of the damn shootout.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »