Home

NHL 11 Gameplay Fixes Addressed

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Gameplay Fixes Addressed within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NHL 11 Gameplay Fixes Addressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
i really like the game as is, but until shot totals for the CPU climb it's nearly unplayable once you get the controls down and hone your skills...
I agree 100% with this. They can add all the leagues they want, but until this issue is addressed the offline aspect of the game is all but worthless.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danphilibin
I hope they improve puck physics in NHL 11. If you watch a real hockey game, the puck doesn't just glide around on the ice all the time. It pops up, turns over, rolls on its side, basically anything - especially along the boards. In NHL 10, 99% of the time the puck is either in the air or flat on the ice. Makes gameplay feel just a little bit scripted.
for sure, I would love to see knuckle shots , ie if a pass gets deflected it might roll onto its side, which could then be slapped and become a knuckler which while hard to aim, would also be hard for the goalie to stop
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
They were hesitant about the AI. Meaning it's either greatly improved or not touched.
Or it could be its still very early in the cycle and they don't want to over promise and under deliver. This team has yet to let me down when it comes to actively listening to the fanbase and trying to improve the game every year. I think they're well aware of where the short comings in NHL10 are and will make every effort to improve things.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #20
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danphilibin
I hope they improve puck physics in NHL 11. If you watch a real hockey game, the puck doesn't just glide around on the ice all the time. It pops up, turns over, rolls on its side, basically anything - especially along the boards. In NHL 10, 99% of the time the puck is either in the air or flat on the ice. Makes gameplay feel just a little bit scripted.
+2.

I think this is a big one for NHL '11'. The puck physics imo took a nice jump from '09' to '10'. And I'm hoping the same thing happens for '11'. With hopefully ever increasing lifelike puck physics [and hopefully player as well] would go along way towards the less perfect play we have now. Ie...more strange bounces of the puck, pucks jumping over sticks, etc.

For me anyway...the NHL game is so dang close to unreal good. If we could just have a bit more of an organic feel to this game...I'd be in video game hockey heaven.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 7

So much needs to improve in this game. There needs to be a FIFA 08 switch to the actual gameplay because as of right now the entire NHL game is animation based. Get real body interaction and collision detection implemented. I'm sick of the checking animations primarily. A player taking an odd semi-erect posture and then shoving with two hands at about neck height is not a hit. It's not how they teach you to hit. No one hits like this besides 13 year olds in rec leagues. Lets get this game on the right track like FIFA did in 08 and start making bodies react to eachother without checking animations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by armi5718
So much needs to improve in this game. There needs to be a FIFA 08 switch to the actual gameplay because as of right now the entire NHL game is animation based. Get real body interaction and collision detection implemented. I'm sick of the checking animations primarily. A player taking an odd semi-erect posture and then shoving with two hands at about neck height is not a hit. It's not how they teach you to hit. No one hits like this besides 13 year olds in rec leagues. Lets get this game on the right track like FIFA did in 08 and start making bodies react to eachother without checking animations.
Agreed. Further, let's reduce the impact of most hits and make the goal of the defense not to be laying people out left and right. Most defense in hockey is positional. It's about causing turnovers and forcing the offense into poor scoring areas. It's not about making open ice hits everywhere.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str80uttaChicag0
I just hate when people complain about the pokecheck. It is very effective now as it should be. I can average 2.46 PPG since the latest tuner and Im not complaining about the pokecheck...
The poke is NOWHERE near as effective in real life as it is in this game. Especially from behind. The ability to poke check while skating forward WITH the offensive player needs to be toned down severely.

Another issue is that defense/offense players don't have near the agility in real life that they display in this game. So, you get people rushing to the offensive player to spam the poke or the check, where in real life, they'll hang back and impede the offensive player's progress and opportunity. This is the whole purpose of skating backwards. The ability to put your stick out and impede process. In the game now, you can be as effective (if not more) skating forwards.

This is further ruined by the inability to dump the puck - get to it and the defenses magic ability to switch directions and hit full stride and then their behind the back/accurate passing out of corners. This is the biggest flaw in the game.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

they really just need to up the aggressiveness of the defenders by about 200%

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »