Home

Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript

For those of you that had a hard time getting to the live chat on Madden NFL 11 run blocking improvements. We have posted the chat transcript here.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 05-20-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat

4:02

[Comment From Madden NFL Dev TeamMadden NFL Dev Team: ]
Mike Scantlebury here
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:02 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:03

[Comment From GuestGuest: ]
like what ive heard so far. is the blocking going to be similar to ncaa 11 or something different? also what about if a defense does multiple shifts will this confuse the linemen and leave mean unabated to the QB?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:03 Guest
4:05

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Blocking on every level, professional, collegiate, and even high school share the same science. The Xs and Os are the same but the choices of play are very different.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:05 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:08

Madden NFL Dev Team:
The plays on the professional level are different. In regards to the shifting issue, our run blocking logic dynamically adjust to ensure that the appropriate defenders are picked up.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:08 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:09

[Comment From cdjcdj: ]
My question is how ratings tie into the blocking logic & effectiveness. With a lower rating, how often will my off. linemen be able to execute a double team block and then get into the second level? Will there be times they just flat out miss blocks, regardless of rating?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:09 cdj
4:10

Madden NFL Dev Team:
There will definitely be time where blockers are unable to complete their double team assignment. Any defender that is not able to get in on the double team will immediately adjust and pick up the next most imminent threat.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:10 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:12

Madden NFL Dev Team:
For ratings, Run Block Strength (RBS) and Run Block Footwork (RBF) play the biggest factor in whether you blocker will appropriately handle his assignment.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:12 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:12

[Comment From xRomo_9winzxRomo_9winz: ]
How much better will blocking be for Draw plays? In Madden 10 the Draw play was an almost impossible running play to execute
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:12 xRomo_9winz
4:15

Madden NFL Dev Team:
I'm glad you asked. The problem was the defense was not playing the draw like it was a pass and that is the whole point of running the draw, to make your opponent think it's a pass. You will see everything from the defensive coverage to the engagement at the offensive line all give the look of a pass and that will often give you a lot of room to pick up quality yards.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:15 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:16

[Comment From JBHuskersJBHuskers: ]
Question.....so with the real assignment blocking AI, does it put even more of an emphasis on the RB having to be paitient to hit the right holes for his best chance of success, rather than just gunning turbo right from the handoff?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:16 JBHuskers
4:18

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Our new locomotion gives users the ability to choose the appropriate running lane as the play develops before your eyes. This take split second decision making but this is incredibly rewarding in Madden NFL 11. It is wise to take your time and make the right decision instead of trying to bounce it outside all the time.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:18 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:19

[Comment From huskerwr38huskerwr38: ]
Will the new run blocking improvements apply to WR? Say on pitches, crack blocks, WR screens, etc.?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:19 huskerwr38
4:21

Madden NFL Dev Team:
WR blocking has improved significantly this year. WRs with high blocking ratings like Ward or Boldin will hold blocks longer and they will play a significant role in any teams ground attack.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:21 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:22

[Comment From ShopmasterShopmaster: ]
I loved the blocking videos that were put up, just curious what level was that and were any sliders adjusted?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:22 Shopmaster
4:25

Madden NFL Dev Team:
I captured the videos myself during normal gameplay. I ball on All-Pro but you can successfully run any of those plays just as illustrated in the blog on any skill level. But of course the frequency plays developing just as they are drawn up on the board will be different on the different skill levels.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:25 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:27

[Comment From Shopmaster Shopmaster: ]
Is offensive line shifting still in the game and if so does that change the assignments of the blockers and who they block. Meaning if I do a toss left and shift my offensive line left, does that leave the backside defensive end free?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:27 Shopmaster
4:30

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Offensive Line shifting is still in the game. This useful feature will not affect blocking match-ups. The same match-ups will occur regardless of the Offensive Line shifts made pre-snap.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:30 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:30

[Comment From HittinAgenda HittinAgenda: ]
With so much emphasis on improvements to the running game, will we have to wait for M12 for the run defense to catch up?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:30 HittinAgenda
4:36

Madden NFL Dev Team:
There has been brand new defensive line engagement animations added to help balance the newly added ground attack in Madden NFL 11. You will see defensive linemen drive blockers into the backfield and perform rip moves to disrupt runs. Linebackers will preform quick sheds and swarm on run plays like we see on Sunday.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:36 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:36

[Comment From sandiegobeast34 sandiegobeast34: ]
Will counters be more effective this year? I don't want to lose yardage every time I run a counter this year!
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:36 sandiegobeast34
4:40

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Great question. Not only have run blocking assignments been changed on Counters but defensive reaction has also been change to further emulate real life behavior on Counter runs. When running to the weak side of the formation you will see the Offensive Tackle attack the play-side LB while the pulling Guard traps the Defensive End. It's a thing of beauty. Check out the video on the run blocking blog.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:40 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:40

[Comment From jasonlogan jasonlogan: ]
Can offensive linemen be pushed back on runs this year by defensive tackles with high strength so the running back has little room to run?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:40 jasonlogan
4:42

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Yes, Defensive Tackles are able to push Offensive linemen backwards. Our game has been needing that and it is a very welcomed addition to our various engagement animations.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:42 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:43

[Comment From Shopmaster Shopmaster: ]
Most runs are designed to go through a specific gap. Will the lineman turn defensive players from that gap or will they just go straight forward?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:43 Shopmaster
4:48

Madden NFL Dev Team:
What is really going to open up holes for you in Madden NFL 11 is the double team blocking. The double team blocks are setup to the target defenders at the point of attack on a run plays and drive them out of the run hole so the RB has a nice lane to run through.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:48 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:48

[Comment From Jose Jose: ]
One problem I always had playing on the higher difficulties was when I ran a pitch run play the defense always beat the blockers. Has the speed of the linemen been increased to effectively block for these plays.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:48 Jose
4:52

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Blocking on Toss plays has been tuned to address that exact issue. We put the blockers in the right position to make their blocks. This way defenders no longer always beat the blockers. Blockers head up field at more appropriate angles and engage their targets at the appropriate position on the field.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:52 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:53

[Comment From Jetsown08 Jetsown08: ]
Wait, so now, we can see big NTs like Kris Jenkins drive people into the backfield?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:53 Jetsown08

Dewiel:
Correct!
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:53 Dewiel

[Comment From illmatic1 illmatic1: ]
will the o-linemen know their blocking assignments on every single run play, and not just the ones in the videos on the blog
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:53 illmatic1
4:57

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Offensive linemen know their assignments for every run in the game. We reviewed the manner in which every run type in the game matched up against every front in the game. Utilize every run in your playbook.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:57 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:58

[Comment From Matt Matt: ]
Do the blocking assignments change correctly from 4-3 to 3-4 defenses?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:58 Matt
5:01

Madden NFL Dev Team:
Great question. We understand that when you face different fronts the offensive linemen have different responsibilities. Sometimes you have to pick up the OLB instead of the DE or vise versa. To answer question, YES, we looked at every run type versus all the different 3-4 and 4-3 formations.
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 05-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript

Thanks alot steveo. Aleast we know that the oline blocking is not going to be overpowered. I'm glad they are updating the D pursuit to keep the running game in check. Now all we need is a presention and franchise offline blog and we are ready to go. Thanks again steve.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

If those run videos were made on All-Pro (as his answer seems to suggest), this game is in huge trouble.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
If those run videos were made on All-Pro (as his answer seems to suggest), this game is in huge trouble.
I really don't think it was done on all pro and above. It most was likly done on pro. I wouldn't worry to much. To many people seem to worry so much over nothing. Wait until E3 when we get plenty of gameplay video on youtube before you go and start worrying over nothing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
I really don't think it was done on all pro and above. It most was likly done on pro. I wouldn't worry to much. To many people seem to worry so much over nothing. Wait until E3 when we get plenty of gameplay video on youtube before you go and start worrying over nothing.
What? What were you reading? Definitely not this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
4:02
[Comment From ShopmasterShopmaster: ]
I loved the blocking videos that were put up, just curious what level was that and were any sliders adjusted?
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:22 Shopmaster
4:25

Madden NFL Dev Team:
I captured the videos myself during normal gameplay. I ball on All-Pro but you can successfully run any of those plays just as illustrated in the blog on any skill level. But of course the frequency plays developing just as they are drawn up on the board will be different on the different skill levels.
Thursday May 20, 2010 4:25 Madden NFL Dev Team
4:27
He said he was playing in normal gameplay and he always plays on All Pro, so either he was playing on All Pro in the vid or he was giving some totally bull crap answer. Either way, it's not good. Myself, like most people will, read that as the vids were captured during normal gameplay on all pro.

Having said that, MJenness is absolutely correct. This game is in huuuuge trouble as far as the run defense goes.

Also, I'm tired of people saying wait until E3. We saw the vids. We saw the defensive guys just stand there to get blocked. Why do I need to wait until E3. Then, when it happens in E3, everyone's gonna be saying wait until release. Then after we see it on the release, everyone's gonna be saying wait until next year. SMH, when does it stop people? I don't how you guys just put so much faith that it will be fixed by release, especially considering EA's track record.

Last edited by splff3000; 05-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11

I thik this game is shaping up to be a why better game then Madden10 and I cant wait..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
What? What were you reading? Definitely not this:

He said he was playing in normal gameplay and he always plays on All Pro, so either he was playing on All Pro in the vid or he was giving some totally bull crap answer. Either way, it's not good. Myself, like most people will, read that as the vids were captured during normal gameplay on all pro.

Having said that, MJenness is absolutely correct. This game is in huuuuge trouble as far as the run defense goes.

Also, I'm tired of people saying wait until E3. We saw the vids. We saw the defensive guys just stand there to get blocked. Why do I need to wait until E3. Then, when it happens in E3, everyone's gonna be saying wait until release. Then after we see it on the release, everyone's gonna be saying wait until next year. SMH, when does it stop people? I don't how you guys just put so much faith that it will be fixed by release, especially considering EA's track record.
Either way you want to see it my friend. I ain't jumping the gun until we get videos of gameplay. No need to get all upset about it. People worry way to much. Thats why they got sliders on the game for. Make the AI tougher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »