Home

American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

This is a discussion on American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

Check out the coverage at ESPN.

Quote:
"WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Monday turned away the National Football League's request for broad antitrust law protection, ruling that the league can be considered 32 separate teams -- not one big business -- when it comes to selling branded items like jerseys and caps.
The high court unanimously reversed a lower court ruling throwing out an antitrust suit brought against the league by one of its former hat makers, who was upset that it lost its contract for making official NFL hats to Reebok.

American Needle, Inc. sued, claiming the league violated antitrust law because all 32 teams worked together to freeze it out of the NFL-licensed hatmaking business. The company lost and appealed to the Supreme Court but the NFL did as well, hoping to get broader protection from antitrust lawsuits.

Major League Baseball is the only professional sports league with broad antitrust protection. The National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League, the NCAA, NASCAR, professional tennis and Major League Soccer supported the NFL in this case, hoping the high court would expand broad antitrust exemption to other sports.

The Supreme Court turned away the league's theory that its 32 teams operate as one business, and sent American Needle's antitrust lawsuit back to the lower court.

"Decisions by NFL teams to license their separately owned trademarks collectively and to only one vendor are decisions that 'deprive the marketplace of independent centers of decisionmaking ... and therefore of actual or potential competition," said the retiring Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the court."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: American Needle Won! NFL Exclusive Deals May Be A Thing Of The Past

AND WERE OFF TO THE RACES!!!...........
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 51

hopefully this means no more exclusive
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I just caught this article myself...

I don't have my hopes up though. I don't know enough about the legal process to even remotely entertain the thought of Madden losing the exclusive license (which is all we care about).

I believe there was a user by the name of 'African' who seemed to be pretty well informed on the ramifications of this case. Be nice if he could chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
"Decisions by NFL teams to license their separately owned trademarks collectively and to only one vendor are decisions that 'deprive the marketplace of independent centers of decisionmaking ... and therefore of actual or potential competition," said the retiring Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the court.
^^ This was the biggest statement made to gamers. But again, I don't think this will have any impact on the exclusive license being shredded. Unless, this makes it impossible for the EA/NFL to extend it.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

WOW! Cant wait to see how it all plays out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Now it goes back to the lower court, where they will simply have to find/cite different precedent to uphold their previous ruling.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I just caught this article myself...

I don't have my hopes up though. I don't know enough about the legal process to even remotely entertain the thought of Madden losing the exclusive license (which is all we care about).

I believe there was a user by the name of 'African' who seemed to be pretty well informed on the ramifications of this case. Be nice if he could chime in.

^^ This was the biggest statement made to gamers. But again, I don't think this will have any impact on the exclusive license being shredded. Unless, this makes it impossible for the EA/NFL to extend it.

I doubt that 2k or any competitor would file suit against the NFL but I think the NFL will be hesitant to extend the exclusive deal.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 51

I just read the article and all it means is each team will have to sell a liecence if the exclusive liecence went down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »