Home

Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre)

This is a discussion on Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre)

Pastapadre has posted his early impressions of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"All games have been played on Pro-Hard (the highest difficulty). Needless to say I’m not sure anyone will lose to the CPU even on the toughest setting. I don’t consider myself good at this game yet, I’d maybe say I’m decent, but if I played the CPU 100 times I’m confident I would beat them 100 times. The ineptness on offense even from the best offensive squads is startling.

Being able to stretch out the quarters did seem to help as the CPU does not make mistakes at quite the same rate. The way the CPU threw INTs in the demo would have meant 10+ INTs in a game with five minute quarters. So far I’m seeing an average of about five INTs by the CPU per game with five minute quarters. The INTs were my biggest concern going in but along with that has been the inability of the CPU to move the ball on offense and put points on the board.

The first full game I played was with a mediocre Seattle defense up against one of the best teams in the game New England. You can look at the stats below. Given it was my first time through I wouldn’t expect to be able to beat a good team on the hardest difficulty but I did so with ease. New England has one of the better offenses and threw seven picks. They got one big pass play when an AI controlled DB played a throw poorly and they took it the distance."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre)

Well, that doesn't sound good at all. So much for holding out hope that the CPU might provide at least a decent challenge at times.

I wonder how many games he has played though.

The running stats for the Cpu are especially telling. 45 yards in two games from the two best offenses in the game is very alarming. At least the Philadelphia team put up a decent amount of yards, but it doesn't matter if the CPU makes dumb mistakes to kill drives.

I just wonder how the devs thought the CPU was good enough when testing it if that is the case.

My excitement for the game has been completely killed.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 05-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I must have a different copy of the game because in my demo the CPU can move the ball effectively a lot of the times and will stop me a lot on offense. Either I am just terrible or something. I just lost to Pittsburgh with Oakland 21-0 in the demo.

― Plato
Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

7 int's?

That's in the Favre neighborhood. Wow!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Not to mention the whole limiting the player to certain quarter lengths. Great, so now I would stuck playing 5 minutes quarters which are too short for me or 10 minute quarters which are too long for me. What are they thinking with this decision?

I don't understand their reasoning with some of the decisions they made. How can a game with customization as one of the things they are pushing, not only take away the user's ability to edit player ratings and then on top of that pigeon hole you into certain quarter lengths.

The quarter thing may be the final straw for me, on top of everything else, now I would be stuck playing limited quarter lengths that I don't even like.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 05-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I bet he's loving the ability to bash the obvious mistakes that are in the game. I can't stand this guy...his EA fanboyism is sick-a-tating.

I won't even click the link to give him the hit on his site because it's not worth it. I've been there in the past an seen how ridiculous he is...lol.

Lucky for NM and 505 that he's a little underling with a tiny flock.

edit; as if he'd never lose a game either...anyone who played the demo enough I'm sure lost - as I did on occasion and I consider myself a seasoned gamer.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Not to mention the whole limiting the player to certain quarter lengths. Great, so now I would stuck playing 5 minutes quarters which are too short for me or 10 minute quarters which are too long for me. What are they thinking with this decision?

I don't understand their reasoning with some of the decisions they made.
I don't either.

I fell in love with the game right away with the demo, but I started to notice how weak the offensive A.I. is and the clock management. I'm strictly an offline franchise person and the more I hear about, the more this game isn't for me, I'm afraid.

It's like peeling an onion, you don't know what you are getting until you start peeling off the layers.

Sounds like a great two player and online game. I wish people well with it.

He definitely is pro-EA, but he is correct about the games shortcomings. I don't think he brought up the camera once.

Last edited by roadman; 05-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

I thought the devs confirmed that the full version had full replay functionality? Guess we were lied too??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »