Home

NHL 11 Hands-On E3 Impressions (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Hands-On E3 Impressions (IGN) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Rookie

Victory23's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 11 Hands-On E3 Impressions (IGN)

I imagine it will be like FIFA, where you have the option to skip the celebration by, A, running to your teammates, or B, pressing LB + RB to trigger the usual generic celebration.

New England Patriots

Chicago Blackhawks

Washington Nationals

Chelsea FC

Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
I can't believe people requested user controlled goal celebrations.

How is seeing the same 5 - 6 goal celebrations over and over again seen as an issue?

The things some people focus on.

Hopefully there's an option to turn off this gimmicky feature.
I've played a lot of EA's NHL games, and seeing a guy stop in place after scoring on a breakaway to just do a double fist pump, or a guy spinning and pointing to no one kinda got old.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 9

celebrations are fine with me as long as there are some reasonable ones to choose from.

over/under: MS point cost of the pony ride
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: IGN Hands-On (E3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Over-the-top celebrations have no place in a "sim" game IMO. Hopefully this type of "addition" didn't take time away from the attention the CPU AI drastically needs.
I'm just gonna be very disappointed if all this stuff has been added and the AI is the same as NHL10. Which might be the case, as they haven't mentioned anything regarding AI/goalie improvements. And you know how EA typically is: if they don't hype it or mention it, it usually means nothing has been done.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
Rookie

lunch pale gang's Arena

OVR: 2

Hopefully, one of the user controlled celebrations will be all the players on the scoring team celebrating together.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: IGN Hands-On (E3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Over-the-top celebrations have no place in a "sim" game IMO. Hopefully this type of "addition" didn't take time away from the attention the CPU AI drastically needs.
Thank you.

I never understand when people focus on the simplest (and in my opinion dumbest) of things. For instance, if they don't have the Bauer 3300 wood stick I'll boycott. I mean ... wha??!!

Silly celebrations - leave it for the kiddies that play Madden. The only thing the NHL community wanted was better celebrations with the team being involved.

Why not make a real time presentation camera (like The Show) and just have them celebrate like a team would. It'd be different every time and it'd be cool to watch. Wouldn't take much from a programming perspective either.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
I really doubt that the animators who worked on the User Controlled Celebrations are the same people as the programmers working on AI. I'm not saying I expect the AI to be any better this year but I don't think User Controlled Celebrations is to blame for that...

I personally don't mind having some new celebrations that we can control, it's just a fun little addition.

I'm also looking forward to what they did for disallowed goals, in the E3 trailer it says "All New: Disallowed Goals" when it's listing some of the 200 new features.

Last edited by kazo0; 06-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo0
I really doubt that the animators who worked on the User Controlled Celebrations are the same people as the programmers working on AI. I'm not saying I expect the AI to be any better this year but I don't think User Controlled Celebrations is to blame for that...
Nothing against you, but I am so sick of this comment.

Look, any given game is a project. As a project you are given a budget to pay for and hire resources.

So, let's not look at this as "programmers" vs "animators". Let's look at it as an allocation of resources (ie budget). So, when you break it all down, the resources spent on silly celebrations took resources that could have been used to tweak/test the AI further.

Quote:
I personally don't mind having some new celebrations that we can control, it's just a fun little addition.
It's a pointless addition that takes away from the realism. Again, if there are "over-the-top" Madden celebrations - then this game took a step away from sim.

I *DARE* an NHL player to Superman down the ice and see what happens during his next shift.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »