Home

NHL 11 Hands-On: Yes, It's Still Awesome

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Hands-On: Yes, It's Still Awesome within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: NHL 11 Hands-On: Yes, It's Still Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Glad to hear the checking was over-amped for the demo, rather than this being the norm. I am worried that there will be too many big hits already - as NHL2010 has too many.

I guess I'm already looking forward to NHL2012 when we can have ice physics and skating tweaked to a more realistic standard. If we had that in the game, a lot of these "dekes" would be as needed.

Defencemen in this game are expected/rewarded for playing like linebackers rather than sound positional hockey. I know that EA wants to inject a bit of excitement, but it's ridiculous.
i think you have a different copy of the game than i do because the hitting in my copy of nhl10 is pretty bad and i'm glad they have made improvements. the only time you get big hits is if you have a guy with like 99 checking and even then you end up with plays where you run a guy full speed which would be a horror show in real life and it's like 50/50 if you even knock him off the puck.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
Since I am about a 90% EASHL player and 10% offline, I'm all for whatever combination of hitting, poke checking etc. will reward the defence for playing sound positional hockey.
The issue is that spamming poke check and stick lift is *NOT* positional hockey.

Positional hockey is putting yourself between the player and the area he wishes to get to or shoot from.

In NHL2010, defenders simply have unreal skating prowess and body control. The ability to skate backwards faster than I can skate forwards, stop on a dime and poke check from angles that don't make sense.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
i think you have a different copy of the game than i do because the hitting in my copy of nhl10 is pretty bad and i'm glad they have made improvements. the only time you get big hits is if you have a guy with like 99 checking and even then you end up with plays where you run a guy full speed which would be a horror show in real life and it's like 50/50 if you even knock him off the puck.
Perhaps it's the way I play. I don't do the whole "dipsy-doo" crap and rely on passing and grinding.

So watching a defender simply slam on the brakes and check me on the open ice is laughable.

I get de-cleated all the time. And I decleat the opposition. That type of hit isn't an every hit thing.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #20
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
One note is that what they are showing at E3 has the hitting amped up because they want to make sure people see the new physics on the players. There will still be game styles so you can play with exaggerated or realistic hitting and the online settings will be much more towards the realistic end of the spectrum than what Chase saw.
You just made my day, but probably not why you think. I LOVE big hitting, and I'll be one of the few here that will have the game "amped up" as you say when I play it.

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Defencemen in this game are expected/rewarded for playing like linebackers rather than sound positional hockey.
WOW! I couldnt have worded it better!

Word is bond!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #22
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7
Hmm, I get TONS of deflection goals in NHL 10. All it takes is a good lane to the net and good timing to hit your teammate in front. I get one at least once every 2 games or so.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #23
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

getting super pumped

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0
not bashing or anything but for a game that's suppose to be light years ahead of it's competition seems to be just implementing things like faceoffs and a little physics, been in 2k for years now. That deking controls sound awfully similar to 2k also where as you press Lb and flick the stick. but I do love the broken sticks idea. To be honest they should have focused more on defensive controls and cpu ai. You can't play d without contantly poke checking and hitting

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »