Home

Gus Johnson Gives OS a Shout-Out

This is a discussion on Gus Johnson Gives OS a Shout-Out within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Gus Johnson Gives OS a Shout-Out

It seems Gus will be an improvement but not a big as of one as we all had hoped for. I agree with y'all who don't really fault Gus for it, it seems to be the way EA strings his lines together and forces him to say his lines in a certain way to string the lines together.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

A real dick-move by Moore to make him try and recreate the call on the spot. That said, I think some of the issues (besides what others have mentioned) come from the fact that they didn't change Collinsworth's lines. I understand why as rerecording some of his stuff would be tedious but there has to be some interaction there. Matter of fact, I am not sure they would even gel well even if they had recorded them together as their styles contrast so greatly. Sad too because I was starting to consider Chris as Mr. Madden because he seems like a true replacement for Al or John due to the fact that he comes from the NBC premier broadcast. Now they bring in a youthful guy who just doesn't fit with Chris so it really seems like they don't know what they want to do.

Not to be a Debbie owner, but I have to believe this is a result of not doing things right the first time. Sure, Tom sounded pretty bad, but it seems as if some thought was put in to how he and Chris sounded together. Now when you have to go back and correct a mistake like Tom not being a high enough quality announcer, then you get a situation like this one. I still am not sure what they were thinking pairing Chris and Gus though; it really is a head scratcher. They really should have just paid the piper and procured Al and Chris from the get go or went with a 2nd or 3rd tier team if they were only interested in saving money.

Really, multiple audio presentations are the only way to go. I could care less if they only were able to get a couple 3rd tier teams or in the worst possible scenario, a first or 2nd tier team plus the radio guy. I am not sure why they threw out all of that finished audio when they could have just added it say as another presentation option or used it for Thursday night games in franchise or something. I hope nothing but the best for the twisted direction they are going in, but it seems to me that Chris (Mr. Madden) will have to go now if they are putting so much on Gus.

Last edited by cdon2k; 06-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Gus Johnson looking tough with the hat all crooked and the brim untouched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Gus is solid in NCAA Basketball 10. Again, a little understated compared to how he is irl, but like others have said, that's more do to the script-writing than anything else.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16

If Johnson is yelling at me like that while I break away for a TD, I might just urinate in fear he's about to jump out of the screen and tackle me.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 39

NICE...that was exciting.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 30
I admit that I wasn't really "aware" of Gus Johnson like many prior to finding out he would be in Madden 11. I'd heard him before but didn't know who he was. Gus is my dude, now. He sounds great in the Denver/Skins clip from E3 on this page. Gus also looks thugged out with the oversized, all black Tigers cap to the side, barely showing his eyes - "Hat cocked/ Can't see his eyes/Who could it be?/ In that new black Tigers cap/Who but, uhh, Gus" LOL! Didn't know he was rugged like that.

As for the people complaining about how commentary, u gotta remember it's the tech/engine that is limiting. They are using old code from the PS2 days or further. Hopefully, they can get some advanced middleware or engineer their own tech to beef up commentary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I admit that I wasn't really "aware" of Gus Johnson like many prior to finding out he would be in Madden 11. I'd heard him before but didn't know who he was. Gus is my dude, now. He sounds great in the Denver/Skins clip from E3 on this page. Gus also looks thugged out with the oversized, all black Tigers cap to the side, barely showing his eyes - "Hat cocked/ Can't see his eyes/Who could it be?/ In that new black Tigers cap/Who but, uhh, Gus" LOL! Didn't know he was rugged like that.

As for the people complaining about how commentary, u gotta remember it's the tech/engine that is limiting. They are using old code from the PS2 days or further. Hopefully, they can get some advanced middleware or engineer their own tech to beef up commentary.
My bad, that was the 49ers/Skins game clip that Gus was sounding great in. U can hear him somewhat in the Dallas/Skins clip but it's not as audible as the other clip.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »