Home

NBA Elite 11 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA Elite 11 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot)

Gamespot has posted their hands-on preview of NBA Elite 11.

Quote:
"The E3 demo we played featured an onscreen heads-up display that showed our right and left stick movements; it also featured a shot meter that showed us the ideal release time for every shot we took--but that HUD element won't be part of the final game. Instead, you'll need to rely on the feel of the shot to get the power right. And, you'll need to keep in mind that you'll be able to miss right or left of the basket if you aren't straight with your right stick when shooting. But hey, don't worry: Shooters shoot, remember?

The new controls aren't reserved for players on offense, however. You'll be able to attempt a steal by pressing down on the right stick and move your player's right or left hand up or down by pressing left or right on the stick. Producers told us that tweaked animations and improved player AI will mean that a defender's hand will better track the ball, making it easier to break up a pass or block a shot (the latter of which you can execute by pressing up on the right stick).

Beyond the controls, it's the new animation and physics system that really shine on defense. Player contact feels great, especially if an offensive player is backing you down. It looks and feels like a real struggle for control--a struggle that either player can break out of at any time with a quick spin move or a steal attempt. Forget the player lock on defensive controls of years past, too; in NBA Elite 11, defense will be about quick reflexes, keeping your body in between your assigned player and the basket. On defense, you'll be able to pull off quick side-to-side steps to stop a player from making a move to the hoop, but there's an element of risk versus reward here. If you slide in the wrong direction, you might get your ankles broken trying to get back, giving your opponent an open lane to the basket."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
MVP

krazyboy225's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA Elite 11 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot)

Off to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
Real life isn't as fluid and pretty looking as people think it is.
Instagram
Twitter
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
NBA Live/Elite "looks great" every year when people are doing hands-on previews. When the games are released, the results speak for themselves: 2k is better every time.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Normally, I would agree with you davidrc517, but with Littman as the producer this year I'm psyched to see where the franchise goes this year...
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

That was a good read. Carmelo doing his mid-air adjustment looks similar to NBA 2K. I hope they pull it off correctly because these types of things should've been done right by 2K/VC a long time ago...

This means, if all goes well for Elite 11, i'll be buying both for the first time ever!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

Its about time we get a b-ball game thats based on user skills.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
I dunno. With Mike Wang coming back and with Jordan giving input on the nitty gritty details of the game, I really don't see how Elite can compete with 2k. The only area where NBA Live has been better than 2k is graphics, and from the screenshots I saw, 2k looks very realistic this year. We'll see though...
Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Right away, Curry began making shots from all over the floor, despite not having had much time with the game.
If it's this easy... I wonder what shooting will be like with the high 3pt% guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »