Home

Blur Review

This is a discussion on Blur Review within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Blur Review

The advertisements for Blur depict the game as Mario Kart for grown-ups, which is a pretty good approximation of the game. However, if you use Mario Kart and Blur as metaphors to show the difference between childhood and adulthood, then the developers must find adult life frustrating, unfair and a little boring, too.

Blur takes the standard cart-racing game, puts it on realistic tracks and uses licensed cars. As a pretty big car buff, I loved the fact that I was racing around firing landmines out of a rat-rodded Volkswagen Beetle. While I appreciated the realism of the cars, the real-life locales used for the tracks probably hold the game back in a way.

The tracks, while they do look fairly nice, are not interesting or exciting. They tend be very wide and uncomplicated, with no real shortcuts or anything particularly memorable about them. In fact, most of the turns on these tracks are so wide that you will not even need to use your brakes most of the time.

Read More - Blur Review
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 30
Yea, I feel this game is weak sauce and tired battle racing. It has nothing on Split Second.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
Man, I haven't really loved a game like Blur for awhile. Got it on a whim from Best Buy and it's really fantastic.

I feel like you glossed over really the selling point of the game - the multiplayer. Featuring Call of Duty-esque perks and an ind-depth and rewarding challenge system, it's super addictive. Also, the ability to party up with friends and easily join games should get them an extra point added to the score by itself.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Rookie

notoriouzwun's Arena

OVR: 14
I love this game. Yes it has it's down side. Same cars different classes in different forms, i.e rat, race, etc. I reached Legend Status and rolled my levels over and still enjoy the game. Then again I am not a typical race fan. Games like Forza, NASCAR, and racing sims bore me fast. Split Second is a good game but if I want destruction I want it to be straight forward without the corny stuff. Blur could have been an even better game I personally would have given it an 8.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6
I'm sorry but did you even play multiplayer with this game. It's crazy fun. I haven't liked a racing game this much since NFS: Underground 2. The power ups makes this game fun and different everytime I race. You lost a lot of credit when you said "In fact, most of the turns on these tracks are so wide that you will not even need to use your brakes most of the time". I have over 200 races and over 100 top 3 finishes and over 50 first place and I have to say I brake ALL THE TIMES. You can be like the people that can't drive and hit the wall everytime or you can show some skills and brake early to cut the corner and stay away from the pack. And again I haven't even touch single player cause multiplayer was so much fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22
"The AI is not too hard to beat, but when you lose to it, it almost always feel cheap."

lol, wait until you play split/second. Massive rubber banding by the AI.

Not a fan of the review to be honest. Not because of the score (Blur is just a good game, the score is worthy). The review just glosses over everything, no real in-depth analysis. I guess that perfectly explains Blur
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Rookie

notoriouzwun's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kully
"The AI is not too hard to beat, but when you lose to it, it almost always feel cheap."

lol, wait until you play split/second. Massive rubber banding by the AI.

Not a fan of the review to be honest. Not because of the score (Blur is just a good game, the score is worthy). The review just glosses over everything, no real in-depth analysis. I guess that perfectly explains Blur
I guess I missed that quote...If you play this game on hard...its not as easy as he states. The single player is challenging on hard difficulty, also the cheapness is the arcade feel. How cheap is it that you can never really gain a lead or fall far behind in Split Second. ...I mean to each their own...but Blur's Multiplayer experience and the game on hard difficulty gives plenty of challenges...
Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Blur Review

^^^

ok so it's pretty well known around these parts that split/second has terrible rubberbanding....so no way can i get that game. How is the AI on HARD level for blur? is it cheap or just challenging? can you race well and win by a wide margin or race crappily and finish dead last ?

I just hate overboard rubberbanding....no point in learning the game really.

so someone please fill me in on this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »