Home

NBA Elite 11 Video: Exclusive Shooting Fundamentals Developer Diary

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Video: Exclusive Shooting Fundamentals Developer Diary within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 16
Re: NBA Elite 11 Video: Exclusive Shooting Fundamentals Developer Diary

Anyone else excited about the purposely missing left or right aspect? I can now finally setup my center or forward for a tip in and miss exactly to where they're positioned.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
Anyone else excited about the purposely missing left or right aspect? I can now finally setup my center or forward for a tip in and miss exactly to where they're positioned.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!
I want to brick a freethrow in a late game situation. I hope that same type of control is at the freethrow line.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #27
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
I want to brick a freethrow in a late game situation. I hope that same type of control is at the freethrow line.
Yes, this works and it's awesome.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #28
NBA Elite Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
It it possible for me to brick a midrange shot? I dont just mean hitting the back of the rim. What determines the power of the shot? Is it always a late release?

Can the basketball hit the backboard as well? The physics of the basketball will play a big role in this game.

I like the control that's displayed in the video, but I'm also concerned to say the least. I cant wait to bust out half court shots.
You can brick a shot from anywhere. And yes, the ball can hit the backboard.

The shot off the glass you see in the video isn't programmed to happen that way. It's just creative use of the controls to get the ball to go where you want. It's all just physics.

So if you want to try and miss to the right because you have a power rebounder over there who is not being well guarded, go for it.

It's totally possible.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
I agree with you on the shot power thing. We've had this discussion amongst the dev team about the power meter.

Basically, an early release in real life should result in a lower powered shot. A late release in real life should result in a lower powered shot.

However, people who play video games are trained to think of a power meter as just that. The longer you charge the power, the more power you'll get.

Unfortunately these two ideas conflict.

We've focus tested the two and for now the power meter remains as it is in the video. If you feel strongly about it one way or the other, voice your opinions, post a poll, make it known how you feel.

The game isn't done yet so it is possible to have an influence.

I cannot promise anything will change, but if you feel strongly about it you should make that known.

We are listening.
I disagree with this. In real life a quick release means a shot with more touch on it. Just because you released early doesn't mean your shot will fall short. Just like if you hang in the air to avoid an initial block and release late, it doesn't mean you're going to heave it with all your strength at the rim.

This was one of the best things about Live 10, the touch, balance and "feel" of shooting, because you could quick release at the perfect time and it flowed perfectly into a shot, or you could hold the release longer to gather your shot and make a more deliberate type of shot, ala almost a set shot.

If you are going for a sim game - touch, balance, feel, timing - 4 key components to shooting. Much more than too much or too little strength, which as a shooter in real life doesn't even really play into my mind when I'm shooting.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
NBA Elite Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I disagree with this. In real life a quick release means a shot with more touch on it. Just because you released early doesn't mean your shot will fall short. Just like if you hang in the air to avoid an initial block and release late, it doesn't mean you're going to heave it with all your strength at the rim.

This was one of the best things about Live 10, the touch, balance and "feel" of shooting, because you could quick release at the perfect time and it flowed perfectly into a shot, or you could hold the release longer to gather your shot and make a more deliberate type of shot, ala almost a set shot.

If you are going for a sim game - touch, balance, feel, timing - 4 key components to shooting. Much more than too much or too little strength, which as a shooter in real life doesn't even really play into my mind when I'm shooting.
It doesn't play into your mind because you've trained your body to release the ball at the appropriate speed based on how far away you are, and many other factors.

But when you do make a mistake, and you throw it long, or a little to the left, often times you know that you've done it the instant it leaves your hands.

This is the feeling we're trying to replicate with Elite. You'll get into a rhythm, feel the timing of the shot (not think about it) and know that you've made a mistake before the game shows you that it's happened.

I hear what you're saying about the timing of the release. We've chosen to simulate the power and angle of the shot using the mechanics described in the video. That does add timing elements to the game that don't necessarily exist in real life (it does to some degree, but like you said in real life you can compensate).

Hopefully you enjoy it and agree with the decisions we made when you try it out, but understand that there are trade offs that have to be made when building a game.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharlem
Yea im not feeling the bankshots either.

rEAnimator

The art of the bankshot by Dwayne Wade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTA1Xgnhg7A

Tim Duncan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9u7...eature=related
Those are two really good looking bankshot but not never body shoots it like them . Take sheed for instance he hangs in the air and releases late similar to the one in the video. We just need a variety for different players

but yea the fadeaways need alot of work....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 4

i feel strongly that early release should make the ball go along and late release should make the ball go short. it just doesn't make sense for the ball to go long if you hang more. any great shooter knows you should release on your way up and if you hang you will be more likely to shoot short. just watching the video it really looked silly how the player was hanging so long yet shot the shot long. if you keep it this way when my friend shoots short i will have to tell him that he needs to hang more on his shot. im sure he'll give me a wtf face. this definitely needs to be changed and i don't think people will be confused about this system. people are not that dumb. you guys are going for authenticity and hanging making the ball go long is definitely not authentic. it really looked silly, and i have loved everything i have seen about this game. i definitely WILL NOT enjoy shooting if you don't change this. it is so the opposite of real life that i cant comprehend how you guys decided hanging makes the ball go long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »