Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedunkz
dissapointed in that interview. So they are planning to expand ultimate team at some point this year but still can't add anything to OF? And they won't consider Live Broadcast important if EA MMA doesn't have success with it? I don't understand the way EA does things.
They are not going to add to franchise if they are busy working on a totally new franchise mode.

I think the live broadcast would be more complicated to do in a football game so it makes sense for them to look over it and see how well it does in another game before taking on that task. He never said yes or no to that one and in my opinion I am sure one day it will be included in some form.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Right? it was done pretty right as far as the physics go, particularly considering it was the first of its kind, ever.

Don't confuse lacking quality in other elements of the game with a physics engine not done right.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedunkz
dissapointed in that interview. So they are planning to expand ultimate team at some point this year but still can't add anything to OF? And they won't consider Live Broadcast important if EA MMA doesn't have success with it? I don't understand the way EA does things.
Madden is EA's security blanket. They won't do anything too risky incase they manage to screw that up, so other projects are responsible for innovation, which Madden may adopt in the future if it was well received in the othr projects.

And they can get away with this because of the lack of serious competition. The FIFA series had to be the innovator by force and it propelled that series to the outright lead.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
MVP

berad88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Right? it was done pretty right as far as the physics go, particularly considering it was the first of its kind, ever.

Don't confuse lacking quality in other elements of the game with a physics engine not done right.
It needs all those other elements and the physics engine in order to be a complete game. They also should of made the players look more human. It is really hard to judge how great the physics are done in a game where the players look like some futuristic half human half robot creature.
I was not as impressed as others may of been but I am all for the concept just not how that game showed it off. Just my opinions.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Rookie

Omniphobe's Arena

OVR: 1

How hard would it be to use the real time physics engine in NHL 11 in Madden 12? Doesn't really seem like it'd be that difficult to implement a physics engine like NHL did seeing how they both used animation systems about the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
Nza
MVP

Well of course we can assume that if EA adopted the physics but kept everything else in Madden the same, those concerns of quirky player models etc would be unfounded.

What BB did right and what Madden does right, mashed together, can only be an improvement.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #23
MVP

berad88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Well of course we can assume that if EA adopted the physics but kept everything else in Madden the same, those concerns of quirky player models etc would be unfounded.

What BB did right and what Madden does right, mashed together, can only be an improvement.
I totally agree.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #24
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza

I agree in theory, but think the question raised (by Ian at least...I'm not a developer, so I can't claim to know) is just how feasible that meshing is. It's like all the arguments between other competing sports franchises "if A does this and B does that, they should just combine them" doesn't necessarily work out.

I would imagine there is more give and take, meaning if BB, for example, is built around physics it might be at the expense of something else, whereas Madden might be built around locomotion (or whatever) and makes the physics addition more difficult.

BB was built from scratch around their physics...who knows, maybe long-term that will benefit them, but I don't know if Madden is in a spot where they can take that long to build a brand new game around a brand new concept on this generation of consoles. In too deep now, perhaps.

Again, not saying it is or isn't the definite rationale, just throwing that out there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »