Home

Dynasty Musings: What Dynasty Mode Is the Best?

This is a discussion on Dynasty Musings: What Dynasty Mode Is the Best? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Dynasty Musings: What Dynasty Mode Is the Best?

Hi, my name is Dave Pearson and I am a franchise nut. I am 21 years old and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My favorite sports teams are the Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Wild and Miami Hurricanes.

Some of my favorite athletes became role models simply by performing well for me in my franchise modes. When Peyton Manning was a rookie and a 78 overall in Madden 99, I traded for him in my Tampa Bay Buccaneers franchise and he became one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game within that single franchise. When Vladimir Guerrero was an up-and-comer with Montreal, I traded for him in Triple Play 98 and he was a perennial all-star and the cornerstone of my franchise for a decade. I have posters of both of these players in my room for those specific reasons.

If you are like me, you would care if EA Sports added in the new Minnesota Gophers’ TCF Bank Stadium into NCAA Football so you could play with them in Dynasty mode. You would care if Madden added the supplemental draft so you could potentially find that second-string offensive lineman that could plug holes. You would care if The Show added a shortlist so you could follow your minor leaguers closer.

I have always loved the idea of running my own team or franchise. I love stockpiling young talent in the minor leagues, trading over-the-hill vets, clearing cap space and winning championships with my constructed masterpieces. I love the idea of making economical decisions that affect an organization for years at a time. Do not get me wrong, I love to play the actual game as well, but there are not many more things sweeter than drafting a 19-year-old kid, letting him develop in the minors, and then bringing him up and watching him compete and succeed at the highest level. To me, that is just as exciting as netting a hat trick with Crosby or hitting three dingers with Pujols.

With that said, read what my top six dynasty modes are after the jump.

Read More - Dynasty Musings: What dynasty mode is the best?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Did you ever mess with the career mode in NFL Head Coach 09? It'd be interesting to hear your comparison to the existing franchise modes.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 15
To adembroski: I have 1 thing to say about NFL Head Coach 09: Glitchy. I played it about 8 seasons in with the dolphins, simming all games and doing all college prep (scouting and drafting), free agency and coaching/philosophy changes myself. The passing game is unstoppable, players act even more retarted at times than Madden, bugs and freezing issues (at least for me), and it's just really easy. If you get past the first couple of years you're set.

Now to the OP: I don't really have a favorite game for dynasty/franchise, but I will agree with you with MLB the show. It's really deep, complex, and satisfying. However, I prefer NCAA. I'm just a sucker for recruiting; nothing feels better than getting that #1 recruiting class. And now with all of the upgrades to recruiting, I can't wait for tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

OVR: 2
Fellow MN guy here (going to school in WI) and like you said in your introduction, I am excited for NCAA Football for TCF Stadium, just as I was excited for Target Field in MLB 10. Also, what keeps me coming back to sport games are the dynasty type game modes. I am not a huge online sports gamer so managing all the aspects of a franchise keeps me coming back. Good article.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7
Good article. I agree with the previous poster regarding head coach. The offeseason was probably the best in all of sports. The game play and sim stats weren't quite there though. The draft process though was amazing. Can we please get this in madden next year?

I love the show but feel there could be a lot more depth to scouting and the draft. And I agree with the free agency being a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Did you ever mess with the career mode in NFL Head Coach 09? It'd be interesting to hear your comparison to the existing franchise modes.
Yeah, I played Head Coach. The idea of the game itself is absolutely fantastic, but the execution was poor. The glitches were miserable and extremely noticeable. After a few hours of gameplay, my game would always freeze at the end of the 3rd quarter for some reason. It just seemed rushed to me. I think if you are going for a straight simulation like that, you're better off making it on Windows so you can patch the game easier and allow for more leeway in that regard.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13
No love for NFL 2k5?

I also have to put NHL 10 higher. I thought the scouting/trading/drafting were all done very well. I also am a franchise nut, looking to build my team from the ground up. NHL 10 was a blast to do that in.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
FIFA is intense.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »