Home

NHL 11 Video: Disallowed Goal, Is it a Goal or Not?

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Video: Disallowed Goal, Is it a Goal or Not? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 11 Video: Disallowed Goal, Is it a Goal or Not?

Source: NHL 11 In the Crease Blog
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 11 Video: Disallowed Goal, Is it a Goal or Not?

Well I would say it's a good goal, depending on how long his stick is, it seemed to be at a down angle... three points:

1. I hope this is a once in a lifetime occurence.. I have nightmares of people flopping around the ice batting pucks in from the blue line..

2. I don't like how the player who took the original shot (#41) just warps around the two players in the middle of a hit.. seems like the physics are only confined to two players at a time.. a little dissappointing.

3. The D AI still just does the horrible "slate away" animation away from the actual play.

Not trying to be overly negative, it's still an awesome feature just putting up some observations.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Well I would say it's a good goal, depending on how long his stick is, it seemed to be at a down angle... three points:

1. I hope this is a once in a lifetime occurence.. I have nightmares of people flopping around the ice batting pucks in from the blue line..

2. I don't like how the player who took the original shot (#41) just warps around the two players in the middle of a hit.. seems like the physics are only confined to two players at a time.. a little dissappointing.

3. The D AI still just does the horrible "slate away" animation away from the actual play.

Not trying to be overly negative, it's still an awesome feature just putting up some observations.
Not sure I agree with any of your observations.

1. I think we saw in NHL 10 w/ shooting from the knees and bat in goals that EA is very good at finding the right frequency for these sort of "wow" moment goals. I could certainly be wrong, but based on my experience w/ NHL 10, and the fact that I saw nothing even close to this from two days of playing NHL 11 late in May, I would say you needn't have to worry about this.

2. Warps around him? Not sure I notice what you mean. Looks like he just side steps the sprawling body and picks up the puck. Maybe could have been a bit more of an impact between Kessel and the forward who took the backhand, but not much. Nothing that really bothers me at least.

3. Both Atlanta d-men were human controlled. Red icon above the guy who throws the hit, and blue icon about the guy who skates away. Only Thrashers players in the clip who weren't human controlled was the goalie and the guy who made a break towards the Leafs' player who took the backhander.

With all that said, the puck physics are a bit off there but I think it's still an awesome clip. Since 110% realistic isn't possible on this generation of hardware, I think everything from the original hit to the blocker save to Kessel swinging from his back on the ice to the actual "collision" between the puck mid-air and stick itself are all awesome examples of the tech driving this year's game, and of a really cool hockey play. Then of course the fact that it's waived off and reviewed is just icing on the cake.

Basically everything good about that play far outweighs anything negative imo.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Banned

Bondgirl0072's Arena

OVR: 11

that does look like a goal to me. but I could be wrong.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 30
Whatever the case, that was HOT! This will definitely be my first NHL game since I don't remember when...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

I say the goal should be disallowed, pause the video at 0:44, the blade of the stick is above the crossbar, that's the rule...

I agree with Luger, not sure what plaidchuck is looking at, I dont see any warping, I dont see any defenders sliding away (they are all user controlled and reacting accordingly) and I'm not worried about the frequency of the "swat" or "bat" animations as I rarely ever see them in NHL10 and I play almost everyday.

Only thing I am worried about in NHL11 is the quick jump deke being too effective.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I say the goal should be disallowed, pause the video at 0:44, the blade of the stick is above the crossbar, that's the rule...

I agree with Luger, not sure what plaidchuck is looking at, I dont see any warping, I dont see any defenders sliding away (they are all user controlled and reacting accordingly) and I'm not worried about the frequency of the "swat" or "bat" animations as I rarely ever see them in NHL10 and I play almost everyday.

Only thing I am worried about in NHL11 is the quick jump deke being too effective.
You are incorrect. It doesn't matter if the blade is above the crossbar; all that matters is where the puck is struck. For example, if I have my stick blade above my head, but the puck hits the shaft of my stick between the bottom and top hand - and below the height of the crossbar - then the goal counts .It doesn't matter the height of the stick, only the height of the place where it hits the puck.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »