Home

NBA Elite 11 Blog: Real Physics

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Blog: Real Physics within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba2012
i hope this helps the gameplay ... last year certain players could dunk anytime they wanted (LeBron, Carmelo, etc.) and you couldnt do anything about it ... that has to be fixed..
seriously its so hard to drive in the paint and dunk its ridiculous.... and in nba live 10 there were no dunk on animations so i know you couldnt technically dunk on people... 2k has been the slip n slide dunk fest since 2k9
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NBA Elite 11 Blog: Real Physics

I like the ball physic idea not being stuck to a predetermined outcome when the ball is passed is great, the defensive has me worried tho maybe it was the analogy for some reason it made me think of Live 10 and overcompensation, like in live 10 to stop the abuse inside scoring they made it difficult for everyone to hold on to the ball to close to the basket and the slightest contact would make the offensive player turn over the ball, like I said maybe it was the comparison of a ball and a soda can, seems like defense if given a unnatural advantage to achieve a desired goal. worried that there will be an invisible shield blocking my path even when there is not a true physical presence.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy703
seriously its so hard to drive in the paint and dunk its ridiculous.... and in nba live 10 there were no dunk on animations so i know you couldnt technically dunk on people... 2k has been the slip n slide dunk fest since 2k9
actually both were dunkfest, Live just made it more so when you used certain players, 2k it was everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
I like the ball physic idea not being stuck to a predetermined outcome when the ball is passed is great, the defensive has me worried tho maybe it was the analogy for some reason it made me think of Live 10 and overcompensation, like in live 10 to stop the abuse inside scoring they made it difficult for everyone to hold on to the ball to close to the basket and the slightest contact would make the offensive player turn over the ball, like I said maybe it was the comparison of a ball and a soda can, seems like defense if given a unnatural advantage to achieve a desired goal. worried that there will be an invisible shield blocking my path even when there is not a true physical presence.
There will be no invisible shield. The collision volumes are attached to the actual joints of the players and are scaled to match their proportions.

You have to be in position for any of it to take effect.

The analogy was the best I could come up with. It's hard to describe these things well, but I hope it helps paint a picture of what we're doing.

The screen shots in the blog should give you an idea of what I'm talking about as well (the green and red circles). Total low tech rendering for that stuff but it gives you an idea.

That's what I stare at every day
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
MVP

Ermolli's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknows
I don't see why they had to delay this blog, they said they were busy working on the game and had to find time.... I could have copied and pasted this info from threads on here in 5 minutes.

The info is good though.
Maybe the delayed blog is the one on next Tuesday. Nice blog by the way.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
There will be no invisible shield. The collision volumes are attached to the actual joints of the players and are scaled to match their proportions.

You have to be in position for any of it to take effect.

The analogy was the best I could come up with. It's hard to describe these things well, but I hope it helps paint a picture of what we're doing.

The screen shots in the blog should give you an idea of what I'm talking about as well (the green and red circles). Total low tech rendering for that stuff but it gives you an idea.

That's what I stare at every day
yeah I guess the ball vs can is what is getting me a bit confused, the analogy just makes it seem like defensive player has the advantage.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
yeah I guess the ball vs can is what is getting me a bit confused, the analogy just makes it seem like defensive player has the advantage.
LOL, I couldn't think of another common household item that has the same shape...

It's not the relative sizes that are important, but rather the shape.

Colliding a round edge into a round edge causes them to slip.

Colliding a round edge with a straight edge stops the round object and it can only move slowly along the straight edge until it gets to the end.

That's what I was trying to express.

When I play ball in real life I'm trying to stay wide and use my body to slow down or stop my opponent.

We're trying to capture that feeling in the physics system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
LOL, I couldn't think of another common household item that has the same shape...

It's not the relative sizes that are important, but rather the shape.

Colliding a round edge into a round edge causes them to slip.

Colliding a round edge with a straight edge stops the round object and it can only move slowly along the straight edge until it gets to the end.

That's what I was trying to express.

When I play ball in real life I'm trying to stay wide and use my body to slow down or stop my opponent.

We're trying to capture that feeling in the physics system.
okay that makes a bit more sense, cool so as long as your in the right defensive position I guess that also means establishing a wider stance you then able to preventing your opponent just simply creating contact and rolling pass you.

Last edited by coolcras7; 07-30-2010 at 10:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »