Home

Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

The "Greathouse" patch for Backbreaker is now available for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

To find out what's in the patch, click here.

Here's some quick thoughts...

The CPU is better but could probably be even better. Time will tell on this one.
CPU can run. CPU can pass.
Sometimes the safeties just don't go after the ball resulting in an easy catch and other times they do. Probably has to do with focus ratings but doesn't look right when they sit back.
Instant replay is okay. It's not in the same league as WEs or NFL2k5 but after original version, you can see what's going on and have multiple views.
Teams may have been edited.

It looks like they did a bang up job! Time will tell on how it holds up.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Backbreaker Greathouse (Patch version) Impressions

Damn!!!

When they add injuries that are determined by actual pressure on joints it will be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I just saw a play with the "Ball Cam" in replay mode where you could actually see my CB turn his ankle in real time, after he broke up a play. Unreal.

The camera tweaks were very subtle, but they are making a big difference. On defense they are still a little sluggish, but all in all this has been the mother of all patches.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 08-05-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Patch is amazing. Obviously could be a little better, but I think any more would require a new game. I'd say they need to save something for BB2 anyway.

But the passing game has been given new life. The camera is pretty good, but still gives you that sense of urgency and isn't a God-cam. You actually have time to get off a pass most of the time, but they didn't overdo and you'll still get sacked, though it's usually only when they blitz, which is more realistic.

The running game has improved ten-fold since you no longer crumble when hitting your own players. I still maintain that they physics for the running backs are a little off since jukes look wrong (they take way too long and there's no real weight-shift cut). But the interactions more than make up for that. See my video of the action here:

I absolutely love that they've added new plays. Thank God, cause I was getting tired of never having more than 3 receivers, and there are now 4 and 5 wide sets. I would have liked to see more plays added to the existing formations, though. The new defensive formations, though, are a godsend and make playing defense an even better affair. Love, too, that the punters can actually punt.

The CPU AI is better at not turning it over, but they're still not incredibly great. I played a game against the Titans and they barely tried to run it, and only completed 2/14 with 1 INT. On the flipside, they did have like 50 yards, so they made the most out of those two completions.

Without a doubt, my favorite part is the variety of the ball interactions. More players can fumble now (I actually fumbled on a punt return while trying to spin and getting hit by another player). The interceptions have been turned way down (in the aforementioned game they had 1 and I had 1), but you see a lot of more realistic drops and incompletions now. Accuracy has been greatly improved, but now you'll see a lot of guys drop the ball if they get hit while trying to making the catch, which looks fantastic.

Overall, the game is a big improvement, and looks to go back up to the top of my rotation after having not touched it in weeks. Obviously it still lacks a Franchise mode, so I'll still be playing NCAA 11, but in terms of gameplay, I'd say this very nearly takes the cake with what I've seen so far. Just a massive improvement on a foundation that had a lot of potential, but was largely overhyped by a few passionate people. This game is now worth the hype. If they can add a Franchise and make at least as many improvements on the game as the patch made, BB2 could be an instant classic.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

The CPU QB AI has improved so much. I was bringing my Safety in on a blitz, even though he was supposed to shadow the TE. The TE was streaking and the QB hit him immediately. I never saw that pre-patch. So far, so good.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Really like what this patch did for the game.

The new playbooks and replay views add alot to the game.

I just played Lions vs Bills (me) on medium and saw a few things I hadn't seen before.

Fred Jackson fumbled twice on me.

Matthew Stafford went 16-27 for 176 yrds and 1 pick.

Had a play where the cpu tried to throw it over the middle and my dline batted it down.

The oline really does play better and gives you more time to scan the field. The rbs don't go down from teammate contact as easily as they did before.

As far as cpu AI goes, I saw a great play and and terrible play.

The great play: 3rd and goal inside my 10 yrd line. I decide to go with a dime formation/zone defense to cover the pass. The cpu does run a pass, Stafford can't find anyone open, rolls to the left to buy time and then tucks and runs instead of forcing it. I tackle him inside the 1 yard line.

The terrible play. Im up buy 1 point with 6 seconds to play. The cpu has the ball on its own 30 yard line on 3rd and 2. The cpu elects to run a draw to pick the first down and then calls a time out to stop the clock with 2 seconds to play.

2 other gameplay changes to mke. The fast qb release is really nice, however I found if I didn't flick straight up on the stick the wrs would change at the last minute as I was passing. I had 2 passes picked off because the wr changed this way.

On defense, having to press a button to make a pick or swat a pass adds alot. Much more fun than just trying to get a defender in position and letting the cpu make the play for you.

Overall, the game still has its share of flaws but the patching did what the developers said it would and it has improved the game imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
MVP

I think the running game is still underpowered. I wish they could have improved that.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
I think it's safe to start a new one on this since they have radically changed parts of the game.

Here's some quick thoughts...

The CPU is better but could probably be even better. Time will tell on this one.
CPU can run. CPU can pass.
Sometimes the safeties just don't go after the ball resulting in an easy catch and other times they do. Probably has to do with focus ratings but doesn't look right when they sit back.
Instant replay is okay. It's not in the same league as WEs or NFL2k5 but after original version, you can see what's going on and have multiple views.
Teams may have been edited.

It looks like they did a bang up job! Time will tell on how it holds up.
That was Apex's main issue that the patch didn't correct. Maybe they'll be able to fix it in a future patch.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
MVP

My two biggest problems are:

The run blocking isn't effective enough.
And tackles are too effective.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »