Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insight "Making a Smarter Game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiasucks
I am officially hyped.

If the next blog is titled "Our Online Servers Actually Work This Year (No really,they do)", I will wait outside Gamestop for the next two months.
Ha, that made me LOL
Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Wow, I am really pumped for this game, it looks like 2k really listened this year. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. Oct 5 can't get here fast enough for me. I has a feeling this is going to be a "Classic" from every aspect.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

great read although melo still looks like crap and i always hated that dunk animation lebron is doing

carry on

lol
Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #20
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

those gotta be 2k10 pics...if they added wingspans for the players then Gasol's arms should be longer...kinda short in this pic...

Last edited by Goffs; 08-06-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
For every player on their respective team, I would like to see a player rating called "Offensive Go-To %"

This rating would give each individual on their team a % of offensive set players the coach will run.

For example, let's say 50% of the time, offensive plays will be called for Dwayne Wade, while the remaining 50% will be allocated to the rest of the 11 Heat players.

This way, the cpu will be forced to utilize their superstars the majority of the time.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041226056

That was me back on 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM on what I would love to see in 2K11.

Now...
Quote:
Touches tendency: This was a big one for me. We really wanted players who “dominate” the ball to feel like they controlled the ball on offense much more. Whereas before, the PG typically had the ball a majority of the time in the half-court… when things broke down you’d see the PG take over and shoot more often than we wanted. With the Touches tendency, we can ensure that the stars have the ball in their hands more, and as a result, take those tough shots to bail out their teams when plays break down. It also allowed us to re-work the way we initiate plays, which I’ll expand on shortly.
Sounds kind of similar doesn't it? MIKE WANG read my thoughts and implemented it in 2K11! I've been preaching about this aspect of the game and finally 2K11 will have it! This will truly distinguish the superstars from the role players by the amount of ball domination these superstars regularly have on a game to game basis and also guarantee that the superstars will take the majority of the shots and take over the game like they do in real life! I was like when i read that line, and I couldn't believe Mike Wang had the same idea too.

On a side note, I love this quote too:

Quote:
Let’s start first and foremost with onball defense AI – preventing the ball handler from penetrating and getting to the hoop. When we first began development on NBA 2K11, revamping the defensive movement model was one of our top priorities - from both user-control and AI standpoint.
I felt that whenever I was the ball handler, I had so many weapons to get pass the defender whenever I wanted by just holding down the turbo button that I felt guilty and only used some of the selected moves when I was losing in order to get back into the game. But now that the CPU will play you for the drive, this will definitely increase the # of midrange shots taken both taken by the user/cpu hopefully and only those who are good enough (star players) will be able to get to the rim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #22
Pro

kolanji's Arena

OVR: 19

very good way to start the weekend with some really promising info on the what to expect from visual concepts devs.it was good to know that fans of certain team have all of their teams behaviors right down to the playbook at their disposal. the insight on the defensive side of things was lacking on the info at this point in time............ am hoping that they touch a bit more soon to clarify some curiosity still lingering in my head...but all in all great read and more informal than the previous insight

Last edited by kolanji; 08-06-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 14

Disappointed to read that they still only have one way to defend the pick n roll. I wish they had EA's system to defend it, assignable to the offensive player.

But everything else was a great read. Can't wait for the new plays. Can't wait to see what Rob Jones did with the transition game.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 8

This is promising info of course, but 2K Sports has lost all of its equity with me. All insights are for me are things to look at once the game is released to see what 2K thinks it's done.

Two things that I'm curious about:

#1 Will these gametypes (Sim, Casual etc.) be accessible online?

#2 Which one of these gametypes would they consider 2K10 to be?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »