Home

Gran Turismo 5 Video: Damage

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 Video: Damage within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Gran Turismo 5 Video: Damage

After watching the clip, make sure you head over to RobGroove to read his Gran Turismo 5 impressions.

Quote:
"Throughout the rest of my time at the BetaRooms I tried a few different cars on different tracks just to check out some stuff and one of the things i wanted to do was smash up a NASCAR. I remember Kazunori Yamauchi saying the NSACAR will break into a 1000 pieces, so i decided to test it out on this E3 beta demo version of GT5.

First of all the car seemed to feel pretty heavy in its handling. It seemed to really just want to go in a straight line with a lot of power but still manages to turn. I think (sounds obvious I know) it will be great for long tracks with long straights but if you need to whip this whip round lots of little tight corners, you’re gonna have a hard time. As for the damage, well it’s not that easy to demolish a car in the short amount of time the demo gives you but i tried my best. The point’s of impact seemed to crumple, exposing both front tires but I didn’t notice any pieces flying off the car really which brings me to thinking the finished product will have a whole new level of detail. But don’t mark my words as this is only me giving my impressions and thoughts. The only way to really know what’s going to happen is to play the game when it comes out."
Platform: PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 11
Damage looks so ****ty. The car was going 100mph+ into a wall and the hood doesn't even break or come off. In that video all it appeared to be was sparks and a little bending/crumbling of metal. Looks like something out of a PS2 racing game in terms of damage. I may have missed it but I didn't see any pieces fly off the car.

Pitiful. Polyphony has been working on this game so long and it looks like the damage is crap. I wanna see cars get smashed. It seems they don't want cars to get too messed up too quickly, in that it would make the car brand look bad.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Gran Turismo 5 Video: Damage

If your buying gt5 for damaged cars then your buying it for the wrong reason
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

The damage looks good in some ways and not so good in others, however I'm aware this was only a beta version.

The crumpling of metal looks really good, but the fact that the whole bonnet didn't fly off is quite surprising. I hope this was part of the build in question and not the full game.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr326
Damage looks so ****ty. The car was going 100mph+ into a wall and the hood doesn't even break or come off. In that video all it appeared to be was sparks and a little bending/crumbling of metal. Looks like something out of a PS2 racing game in terms of damage. I may have missed it but I didn't see any pieces fly off the car.

Pitiful. Polyphony has been working on this game so long and it looks like the damage is crap. I wanna see cars get smashed. It seems they don't want cars to get too messed up too quickly, in that it would make the car brand look bad.
do the damage really matter?? like who even wants to crash a beautiful realistic looking car anyway??
Just lean how drive & not crash SMH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by killah13600
do the damage really matter?? like who even wants to crash a beautiful realistic looking car anyway??
Just lean how drive & not crash SMH
Yes it does. This is meant to be a simulation afterall. Most of us won't be playing this game with the intention of deliberately crashing, but if you have an accident you'd want it to look believable wouldn't you?

If games like Dirt 2 can do a reasonable job of this then why can't a company with the resources and talent of Polyphony? I remember them saying a while back when criticized about the absence of car damage in previous versions that they wouldn't add it unless they did it right. Well, this isn't right.

For the sake of realism, which is what this game is advertised as, the damage needs to be improved before the release.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
The kind of hit that he took and the end of one of the straights should have made his car undriveable while also badly injuring/killing the driver. While it would have been nice to see this kind of destruction, Polyphony would have had to implement damaga physics to body, frame, suspension, wheels etc....basically every parts would have needed to get some kind of physics to make it look right. As long as damage affects the handling, I'm happy.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 32

the damage doesn' look very realistic. NASCAR cars cannot take much beating. Look what happened to Elliott Sadler's car last week at Pocono. He crashed straight on into a wall and the engine flew out. Looks like they better spend some more time polishing this game before bringing it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »