Home

Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #153
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Right now I feel like either running isn't fast enough or I'm not doing the right thing when I'm running. I don't feel like the runner hits the whole fast enough but at the same time, this is a contact sport. Contact is going to stop progression and forward motion. Yes, it seems to be stopping too easily, but I'm wondering if it's on me and how I'm controlling my runner.

I say that it could be runner speed because yes, the CPU running is awful. That's where I see the flaw. There are far too many negative yardage plays.

I'm playing on Pro-Medium and feel ok, but I can see the issue where passing is becoming easy and running isn't. I still want to give it more time though. I don't want to open up a BB vs Madden or 2K can of worms, but I know for certain that my frustration with Madden is the inability for it to properly render collisions. Maybe BB is the under end of the spectrum where the collision is causing too much of a stop in progression.

I still need to get back in the game to make a better judgement.
To me the issue is simply the run blocking , though Phobia brings up a good point about the ball carriers lacking a little in agility and explosiveness.

The thing is I don't feel it is has anything to do with me not controlling the runner properly, when you get hit as soon as you get the ball as the RB there is not much you can do. Believe me I have watched replays to check to see if I was simply missing lanes or something on some plays, but most of the time all I see is unblocked guys busting through or defenders in the backfield immediately with really nowhere to go. Not to mention like I mentioned I was pretty effective at running prepatch.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #154
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I think some has t do with the running animations. There is no explosiveness in BB.

For instance, look at the jukes in this video. That is a standard BB juke, just looks bad. Does not convey speed correctly and the agility players have in the NFL.

Now compare that to a high level running back in the NFL. Bush, L.T., A.P., Chris Johnson.

This is one of the biggest things holding back my enjoyment out of BB.

Last edited by Phobia; 08-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #155
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
To me the issue is simply the run blocking , though Phobia brings up a good point about the ball carriers lacking a little in agility and explosiveness.

The thing is I don't feel it is has anything to do with me not controlling the runner properly, when you get hit as soon as you get the ball as the RB there is not much you can do. Believe me I have watched replays to check to see if I was simply missing lanes or something on some plays, but most of the time all I see is unblocked guys busting through or defenders in the backfield immediately with really nowhere to go. Not to mention like I mentioned I was pretty effective at running prepatch.
I am seeing same thing. Has nothing to do with my stick skills. My O-line is just completely missing blocks OR they are just touching a defender and then letting him come in clean.

So this results in my RB getting hit the moment after the hand off. I think this can easily be fixed with the editor if BB does not release another patch though.

Now the agility/ explosiveness is just a problem with the animations being used
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #156

OVR: 34

I just played a half and can agree that the blocking isn't there and also that certain types of collisions are playing too much of a factor in stopping a runner's progression.

I also agree on the agility and explosiveness. I think this is where speed increase might help, but at the same time, the d-line is getting too much positive results in very little contact.

What exactly does the stumble button do? I did break some nice runs using this, but I'm not sure if it's on that.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #157
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I just played a half and can agree that the blocking isn't there and also that certain types of collisions are playing too much of a factor in stopping a runner's progression.

I also agree on the agility and explosiveness. I think this is where speed increase might help, but at the same time, the d-line is getting too much positive results in very little contact.

What exactly does the stumble button do? I did break some nice runs using this, but I'm not sure if it's on that.
Dave the stumble button will just make you regain your balance quicker.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #158
MVP

OVR: 14

I preferred the gameplay pre-patch, it was flawed but balanced.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #159
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Where you think you at? This is not the BB forum!!!

I agree with Mgo and I am a big BB fan.

The run blocking is not working correctly post patch. The passing is about perfect now. Also the players feel to sluggish. There is no agility tied to the players where they move and cut like a real player would.

I like BB, but I am also going to point out what needs worked on. But to tell someone shut up, me personally would want to knock the **** out of you.
I agree too.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #160
Supporter

OVR: 22

Although the user's results in the running game has gotten progressively worse, it was FAR from perfect pre-patch. It was nothing to run inside like a wrecking ball, and gain at least 5 yards a pop (almost a first down if you initiated a spin at the LOS), or run to the outside for ridiculously big runs repeatedly and watch the A.I take themselves out of the play because an overall lack of awareness, terrible pursuit angles, bad playcalling, and bad tackling. Just like pretty much everything pre-patch, the running game was way too easy. NM needs to find a happy medium between pre and post patch if they decide to do another patch.

I will say if I had to pick which running game I prefer pre-patch or post patch? I'll take post patch easily. Although I haven't had much success running plays like dives or draws, I've been able to run plays to the outside where I can at least reach a second level which gives me a chance to see the field and oncoming defenders, so I can pull off moves, and make defenders miss. I've played all of my games on pro/hard and the last one I accumulated 143 yards, 1 TD, on 27 carries going against a team rated about 30 points higher than my own. I got a fast, agile back and he did work playing to his strengths. I don't know how blocking is on pro/medium or the other difficulties, but I think they should put some work into most notably the interior blocking, and hopefully that wouldn't equate to an easier game (maybe beef up the secondary) because running the ball does feel much more rewarding to me post-patch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »