Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #153
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

Whoa @ the off-ball collision comment. I've been talking about this as a problem for 3 years now. There are animations this year, but they're rarely seen and extremely difficult to trigger. If the CPU will regularly use these in 1 on 1 matches, and user controlled players can make good use of these in team-up games then this is a big deal.

It's one of the things on my checklist of things that 2K must address before I buy 2K11. If they actually have working netplay, more contact on shots in the paint, and have guys get back on defense then I may actually buy the game.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #154
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
With soo much information in that insight, I almost forgot....

Mike hinted at the new and improved shot stick. He said "Tendency to use the new shots: I’ll be going into more detail later on what all these new shots are in a later Insight, but for now, just know that there’s plenty of cool new “stuff” you can do with the Shot Stick. Obviously, it’s important that our AI players not only use all the new shot types, but also in the correct situations. Our AI engineers spent a lot of time working on this logic and it really shows. One of the coolest things to see when you’re playing against the AI, is have them break you down with a nice dribble move, see a hole in your defense, and attack it properly with the right finish. It really goes a long way to making you feel like you’re playing another intelligent human opponent rather than a machine that just randomly pushes buttons."

You know what that sounds like.....

Strong hand finishes....Guys like LeBron and Nash. Can finish with the % on both sides. While guys like A.I., Odom, Melo, and few others. Who finish mostly with only their strong hands. Oh man that would change driving to the hole....Oh man this ****ING AWESOME....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #155
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

Strong hand finishes....Guys like LeBron and Nash. Can finish with the % on both sides. While guys like A.I., Odom, Melo, and few others. Who finish mostly with only their strong hands. Oh man that would change driving to the hole....Oh man this ****ING AWESOME....
Idk sounds to me that the ai will actually now shoot runners and etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #156
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

I thought they did already...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #157
PDX

RipCity71252's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1
If they do, it's rare. At least when I play the CPU.

For example, on a clear 1 on 1 fast break opportunity at the rim, instead of them stopping and popping a leaner or a floater over the top, they would much rather ram into me and draw a charging foul.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #158
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCity71252
If they do, it's rare. At least when I play the CPU.

For example, on a clear 1 on 1 fast break opportunity at the rim, instead of them stopping and popping a leaner or a floater over the top, they would much rather ram into me and draw a charging foul.
Yeah its rare...You actually see more shot options in NBA Draft combine rather than NBA 2k10..

Crossover, I guess you missed the countless thread from Ronyell(if im not mistaken)about this problem
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #159
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

I agree. This is something that was sorely missing.

Also for the USER controlling what shot you are taking is not an exact science especially on broadcast camera. I wish they would map the offensive shot stick to absolute so left always meant left hand layup, right- right hand layup, down was a pull up fade and up a floater. Down+Right = drift right. Down+Left = drift left. Etc......
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #160
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm getting hyped up for this game again this year, 2k Basketball seems to have the simulation and the flow of a real NBA game. Even though they don't have one of the big telecast contracts it still claims the title each year. I am excited to see these new controls on offense and defense, I'll definitely checking out the new playbooks & looking forward to more developers insights in the coming weeks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »