Home

Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #177
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
Those who know my history here know I am very critical of EA and Tiburon especially, and would love nothing more than to say how BB smashes Madden..

but after about 10-12 games since the patch has dropped.. i am just not sure about this game really..

there is no denying the physics, and tackles are very cool.. but after that.. i dunno

every game seems to be a crapshoot on whether my receivers are going to drop balls or not, or if i am able to run the ball at all or not.

sometimes no matter what i do, there is a defender in the backfield to stuff the run.. and this leads to endless frustration with this game.

I dont want to go on EASY difficulty, because the CPU already cant really score much on Medium as it is.

at least I have some time to pass now since the patch, and there are games where my receivers hold onto everything, and then there are games where they drop everything. again.. very frustrating.

Sure its great I can play as all 32 NFL teams, but it really doesn't feel like the real players. Maybe its because there is no play by play, or maybe its the oversized generic player models.. i dunno but there is just something missing for me there.

The game need some more atmosphere i think.. more player chatter, more stadium sounds and noises, and a better more involved PA announcer.

The CPU AI seems to be very erratic at times, and sometimes it seems that they are just calling random plays which do not even relate to the current situation.
CPU calls way too many draw plays on 3 downs.. on 3rd & short, 3rd & long.. doesnt matter.
I have also had the CPU let the clock run out at half while lined up to kick a field goal. not good..

Maybe the 2nd patch (if there is one) can address some of these issues.
I still support this game and 505 games..
Its definitely an amazing first effort, thats for sure.. and the DEV'S seems very receptive to the community, and dedicated to making this game great which is also a positive sign.

Gonna keep reading the tips and guides over a the BB forum and to continue trying with this game though, as this is my only NFL videogame option right now until EA gets their act together..

big thanks to the guys doing the NFL rosters, and editors for BB.. it does make a big difference!

I was in the same boat all week and agree.. EXCEPT... I am sorry to say I have given up... moving on. I had high hopes but with the issues you have described and even with all the practice I could muster (why is there no practice mode!!) I am done.... we'll try again next time fellas!

yes and thanks for the rosters and editors... I tried several changes as well as the default rosters
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #178
Rookie

OVR: 5

Main problems I see

- Run blocking obviously.
- Sometimes your WR will get 2 feet in bounds after a catch, step out, and it'll still be ruled an incompletion.
- Still too many draw plays.
- CPU WRs should receive a boost in holding onto the ball with contact. Now that it's been found out Protect Ball helps prevent drops for users, the new drop system definitely favors the user as the CPU doesn't have that logic. I'm not saying they should catch everything, but they do need a better chance of catching passes without minimal contact affecting them.
- Too many games with 15+mph wind. I almost play all of my games in NE's stadium now just because the CPU has issues kicking with the wind.
- Still instances of missed pass interference.
- Clock management still a problem at times. With under 2 minutes to go, I've seen the CPU run a draw on first and 10, then burn a timeout. Then run the ball again and burn another.

All things that could be fixed. I think the CPU offense wouldn't be as limited if the running game is improved, since they typically call their gameplans around 50/50, where as us users can opt to avoid the running game completely. I know I definitely call a lot of 90% pass/10% run games on Hard.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #179
Banned

OVR: 14

Alright I don't have this game but after reading about this and the patch.

How customizable is this game? Either 5 or 10 min quarters? Nothing in between. Sliders?

Why make a game like this and not make it costumizable....hopefully BB2 comes out and they let the USER define their experience.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #180
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

for all the people having issues with the run blocking, why don't you use finn's editor to globally edit some player ratings? his editor would basically serve as sliders, right ? raise run blocking rating maybe for each OL, or lower strength for every DE/DL/LB like someone mentioned, or maybe raise strength for all RBs....

I know it's only on the 360, but if it can help, why don't you guys try. I wish I could but i'm stll waiting my copy to arrive.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #181
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just downloaded the patch a few hours ago and played a game for the first time in weeks...what a difference the patch makes. Kudos to 505 games for their hard work. Only two negatives were bugs I still found - both clock related. I saw the clock restart after a pass interference penalty on an incomplete pass (clock was stopped play before, shouldn't start running again after the penalty because of the incomplete pass), and at the end of the game with :09 left I decided to line up offsides for the hell of it because I was losing...the CPU ran a play, they accepted the penalty after the play was over, and then I noticed there were STILL :09 left. I thought it might be a fluke so I did it again - nope, still :09 left. I can only imagine how someone might exploit that online if losing...the CPU accepted both penalties so maybe if you decline it the bug doesn't happen? (haven't tried that yet)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #182
MVP

Klocker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
for all the people having issues with the run blocking, why don't you use finn's editor to globally edit some player ratings? his editor would basically serve as sliders, right ? raise run blocking rating maybe for each OL, or lower strength for every DE/DL/LB like someone mentioned, or maybe raise strength for all RBs....

I know it's only on the 360, but if it can help, why don't you guys try. I wish I could but i'm stll waiting my copy to arrive.
I globally boosted all OL (gjsii13's NFL 32 teams) to 99 in all cats with Finn's editor.... same result.

Now in fairness the patch is messing with all custom teams ratings so I have no idea if the patch is reading the numbers accurately or not. I only know I still could not run consistently (on medium) and neither could the CPU. did not try lowering the D
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #183
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I moved to medium and I'm having good games again. I'll post stat lines later, but although the running is not quite what it was at least it's there now and will keep me playing...mind you the team i'm using isn't particularly strong in that area.

After I finish this season, I'll do another one with my run champs and see how that goes.

so far 2 games in on medium cpu is challenging and putting up respectable stats. Again the run game is a bit underpowered, but it's hanging on enough on medium to keep me playing.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #184

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23

I'm on Pro-Medium with the form set to very poor and I think I'll practice there for a bit and maybe raise it some.

Can anyone explain what form does? Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »