Home

Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #217
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

So I bought this game after the patch and I'm sure I read there was going to be a few new camera angles but can't see them.

I am trying to like the game and would appreciate it someone could give me tips how to but there's a couple huge problems in my view.

- Terrible camera: If this game had a higher, more fixed camera like almost all NFL have had, it would be 10 times better
How are you supposed to run when the camera rotates to what you're looking at?
- Unresponsive controls: Definitely not 1:1 response. I press tackle, half a second later my guy animates. Even the iPhone version was quicker.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #218
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral50
So I bought this game after the patch and I'm sure I read there was going to be a few new camera angles but can't see them.

I am trying to like the game and would appreciate it someone could give me tips how to but there's a couple huge problems in my view.

- Terrible camera: If this game had a higher, more fixed camera like almost all NFL have had, it would be 10 times better
How are you supposed to run when the camera rotates to what you're looking at?
- Unresponsive controls: Definitely not 1:1 response. I press tackle, half a second later my guy animates. Even the iPhone version was quicker.
1) There is only one camera view. What you heard is they added different camera views for the replay system.

2) The game is excellent in the camera view it has. The game has a steep learning curve. So expect to spend a couple weeks learning the game and all the little things about it such ***

3) Camera you can look up field by pulling LT if you are running towards the sideline.

4) On toss and sweep plays, DON'T hold the left stick towards the sideline like left or right. INSTEAD hold straight up on the left stick and he will pull along the play designed route.

5)I don't know what you mean about the unresponsiveness. I don't have this issue. It is even more responsive now than it was pre-patch. I think you are learning the weight of the players maybe.

6) It is not a simple pick up and play like most EA/2k football games. So don't expect to be excellent at the game off the start. You will have to learn how to play it.

Just ask Teambayern. He just got it the other day and me and him played two games last night online. He just got it and is doing pretty good. I beat him game one and he beat me game two. So the rematch tie break will be coming up soon enough
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #219
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral50
Are you sure you're not talking about Madden? If Backbreaker is good at one thing it's tight control. My only gripe with BB's control is you don't have enough options...meaning there isn't a button for jump, dive, barge...those things are mapped to the R stick and the AI performs them for you for the most part...but controlling your guy and the responsiveness of that action (turning, cutting, ect.) is absolutely top notch. I just wish those previously mentioned actions (specifically jumping) were mapped to buttons.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #220
Rookie

OVR: 2
Smile Re: Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

Guys this game is a gem!! Yes I know it is not perfect but if you take your time and go through the training with the basics you will enjoy this game!! Forget about all the bells and whistles like the other popular game ( which I will not mention), that is out there, this game is deeper than folks give it credit for! True , there are no refs no sideline folks but as far as a football game goes it plays one hell of game! I for the longest time thought that you couldn't run at all after the patch but I just played a game where I had 93 yards rushing! It is still tough to run in the game but if you take your time and study the plays you will get used to it.
I'm not going to lie there were times I would get frustrated and want to stop playing the game but persistence counts man! The AI when behind can be tough, like when I played the all stars in the season mode. I did beat the All star team and won the championship for that season and did get 40 achievement points. On the other hand, in the Road to backbreaker season I made it to the next league, which has 16 teams but I didn't get any achievements for beating that team. I only have like 20 thousand points to spend to get better players, unlike Season Mode you go through a draft to draft players. I can go on and on about his game but don't let this game die guys and keep supporting these folk at NEW Motions because I think this is going to be the future of football video games. If anyone is interested my live tag is above, please let me know if anyone wants to play. No Cheese please! LOL!! LONG LIVE BACKBREAKER!!! The Last game I played as the New Orleans Saintsationals vs Beasts, I threw for 114 yards and ran for 93 yards, for a total of 207 yards total offense. It was a low scoring game. The final score was 14 to 10 and the Beasts were down to the one foot line when time expired! it was one hell of a game!! I played the other football game and it was like a scoring fest, to me it just doesn't feel like an authentic game. I can't wait until backbreaker part 2 comes out!! LONG LIVE BACKBREAKER!!!

Last edited by cjulloa1; 08-15-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #221
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
1) There is only one camera view. What you heard is they added different camera views for the replay system.

2) The game is excellent in the camera view it has. The game has a steep learning curve. So expect to spend a couple weeks learning the game and all the little things about it such ***

3) Camera you can look up field by pulling LT if you are running towards the sideline.

4) On toss and sweep plays, DON'T hold the left stick towards the sideline like left or right. INSTEAD hold straight up on the left stick and he will pull along the play designed route.

5)I don't know what you mean about the unresponsiveness. I don't have this issue. It is even more responsive now than it was pre-patch. I think you are learning the weight of the players maybe.

6) It is not a simple pick up and play like most EA/2k football games. So don't expect to be excellent at the game off the start. You will have to learn how to play it.

Just ask Teambayern. He just got it the other day and me and him played two games last night online. He just got it and is doing pretty good. I beat him game one and he beat me game two. So the rematch tie break will be coming up soon enough

Yup I second what Phobia said. The learning curve on this game is steep. He ripped me apart game 1, but I learned a few things and managed to get the win game 2. Running is difficult, but I've progressed to at least making my opponent worry about it. I had one game this week where I ran the ball something like 6 plays in a row en route to a TD.

Phobia, we should definitely play soon. Busy for a little while, but I might be around later tonight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #222
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
Yup I second what Phobia said. The learning curve on this game is steep. He ripped me apart game 1, but I learned a few things and managed to get the win game 2. Running is difficult, but I've progressed to at least making my opponent worry about it. I had one game this week where I ran the ball something like 6 plays in a row en route to a TD.

Phobia, we should definitely play soon. Busy for a little while, but I might be around later tonight.
Yea if we both on at the same time lets try and get a game going.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #223
MVP

OVR: 22

Played a game last night.
Wolves(me) vs. Indianapolis
My HB had 31 carries for 85 yards.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #224
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Picked up the game Friday. Must say, I am a fan.

This game is definitely the future. Has issues to be sure. The one that annoys me the most is that it doesn't have a Practice Mode (how did they ship it without one, given how different it is from every other Football game???), but I am really liking it thus far.

I have never had more fun playing defense on any Football game. The feeling of isolation and not being able to see everything makes everything more exciting and harrowing.

Not having the issues that others are having with the running game, but maybe I need to play more.

Very good opinion of the game at this point. Definitely needs work. A ton of presentation elements for instance, but I commend 505/NM on a great foundation that they have created and hope that either they develop it further, or it is licensed to EA or another company that is allowed to make an NFL game, who takes it to the next level.

Also, props to all those that made NFL rosters available to download. I have a PS3, so not being able to adjust ratings hurts, but people have done an admirable job under the circumstances, and it's better than no rosters at all to me. Again, thank you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »