Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #105
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing

How much human skills is involved in playing 2K11?? I understand defensive AI has been ramped up. So is this game more about strategy than skills to beat an online player?? Can a skill player make shot despite how tough the defense put on him??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #106
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choops4Life
I'm willing to answer your passing questions right now. If not, post one and I'll try my best to get back to you.
Just an FYI for guys coming in here asking random calf sleeve & headband questions.

Welcome, Zack. No mention of Ricky Davis in your introductory post? Good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #107
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

Choops4Life's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Welcome aboard Zach... Love the name man... I miss that series so much =(

Can we ever get CH to come back??

Ok you dont have to answer that one but anything is gravy.

With all of the passing and such as was discussed earlier, does the defense have counters to balance out this stuff so that the passing and offense isnt so overpowering, especially in the post?
Thanks for the welcome 23. Defense against passing? Definitely. AI players play passing lanes very intelligently so you have to be selective about your pass decisions. As a user, if you play tight defense on the receiver, often times a pass to this receiver will force a tough throw that could potentially take the receiver from his desired catch area. This includes passes when you're trying to thread the needle into the post. Passing in the post is not overpowering. Let's remember who you're passing with. Centers, Power Forwards. Pass ratings matter.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #108
MVP

OVR: 18

Ok first of all, Zack you deserve credit because I think you guys made the best B-Ball game to date in CH2k8.

Now that's out of the way, we saw a lot of overhead passes in the video today. Are those going to be toned down more in the final build?

BTW, I think you deserve a limo, you're a star!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #109
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

Choops4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Welcome aboard, man. Here's some questions:

When you fake a pass while moving, can you travel?

Can you fake a pass and then shoot?

Does speed affect the movement of your pass fake? Example: If you're walking on the perimeter, you might stop and plant for a pass fake. If you're trotting along the baseline, you are moving too fast to stop without traveling, so you have to get rid of the ball one way or another. If you're running full speed on the fast break, you might jump because your speed gives you more time in the air.

What kinds of circumstances lead to bad passes?

What kinds of circumstances lead to turnovers?

In the situation of turnovers, can you describe the behavior of the ball? In past games, the ball either seemed to go out of bounds, or bounce directly into the hands of another player, rather than cause the burst of chaos that happens with a loose ball.

Thanks man, and good luck.
Fake Passing on the Move - You can't travel.

You can fake a pass and then shoot, yes. Oh so nice

We have pass fakes for all types of movement speeds.

Bad pass circumstances include but are not limited to (honestly I can't remember them all. I'm not at the database or I'd list them all for you):
- Deep passes
- Thread needle
- Perimeter
- Perimeter covered
- Pick & Roll
- Double team
- Cutter
- Out of Post
- Inbound
- Fastbreak
- Pass Out of Shot
- Drive Pass

Circumstances that lead to turnovers: Dumb passes
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #110
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Hey wassup my fellow 2K comrades? This is Zach from 2K Sports and the author of the Insight in discussion. I'm very happy that you've taken the time to read the article and post comments. It seems as though we're still seeing eye to eye on the improvements and innovations that passing required for NBA 2K11. It's nearing 10:30pm, the wife is at work and the baby is asleep. This is MY time!!! I will often be here checking your posts, but if you're nerdy enough like me to be on here this late, I'm willing to answer your passing questions right now. If not, post one and I'll try my best to get back to you.

A quick background: I'm originally from Iowa, I'm a Bulls/Chiefs/ISU Cyclones fan, I'm married and I have a 9.5 month old that is being recruited by all D1 schools for every sport known to man, I ran College Hoops for 3 years from 6 to 8 (oh do I ever miss thee), I love you guys, I love Wheat Thins and I hit the game winning three pointer in lunch ball today. That's about all you need to know about me for now.
Welcome, sir. It's nice to have you 2KSports guys conversing with us here in the community.

Question: About Pass Targeting,
Quote:
A lot of people are icon passers (myself included) and a lot of people are left stick + (A) button passers. The benefit of icon passing is that you always get who you aim for because you’re determining it by a single button press. Why can’t left stick passers get the same love? One of the first things we did with passing this year was completely wipe out our pass targeting system. There were too many variables added that only occasionally gave us what we wanted and it became too messy to work with. Pass targeting now relies almost solely on one thing and that is the direction your stick is pressed.
From this paragraph, did you mean icon passing was also wiped out? Or I may have misunderstood the paragraph. And what do you mean by pass targeting now relies almost solely on the direction of your stick?

Clarification from you will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

One's best success comes after their greatest disappointments

Last edited by domidomdomz; 08-25-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #111
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

Choops4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman32
Is Icon passing controlled the same as 2k9 and 2k10 by tapping R1(PS3) to bring up the icons? Or do we have to hold a button to bring up the Icons?
You can tap or hold.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #112
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome 23. Defense against passing? Definitely. AI players play passing lanes very intelligently so you have to be selective about your pass decisions. As a user, if you play tight defense on the receiver, often times a pass to this receiver will force a tough throw that could potentially take the receiver from his desired catch area. This includes passes when you're trying to thread the needle into the post. Passing in the post is not overpowering. Let's remember who you're passing with. Centers, Power Forwards. Pass ratings matter.
Yes sir... glad to have you aboard.

... Thanks for answering so quickly. Can't wait to try this out

BTW, The old 2k basketball games, I hated playing against the super 2k teams against you guys on the roster lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »