Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #153
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
This was fixed in 2K10 according to this dev insight:

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...d=1003473&l=11

To me the lead pass was more realistic in 2K10 than 2K9.
Well we all know that's not true. Receivers of lead passes still get an instantaneous speed burst in 2k10 and they are immune to contact until after the catch the pass. Any slight movement towards the hoop turns into a speed burst once the lead pass is triggered.

Just to be clear my only concern is with online ranked games. Yea lead passing was slightly better in 2k10 than 2k9, but still ridiculous.

Lead passing should be treated more like alley oops where there is an animation if you don't have a clear path and the player should get no speed burst at all from the lead pass. The user should have to burst after the catch.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #154
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOausarOo
Well we all know that's not true. Receivers of lead passes still get an instantaneous speed burst in 2k10 and they are immune to contact until after the catch the pass. Any slight movement towards the hoop turns into a speed burst once the lead pass is triggered.

Just to be clear my only concern is with online ranked games. Yea lead passing was slightly better in 2k10 than 2k9, but still ridiculous.

Lead passing should be treated more like alley oops where there is an animation if you don't have a clear path and the player should get no speed burst at all from the lead pass. The user should have to burst after the catch.
Agree but watching the 2K11 Gamescom videos the speed of the lead pass is fine to me. I've seen a lot of gathering of the lead pass which is new. Also many are tipped.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #155
Pro

OVR: 10

I have a question about 2k icon passing in general. Sometimes I use icon pass to get a 3 point shooter a good shot from downtown. What winds up happening is by the time they recieve the pass, the 3 pt shooter is far beyond the 3pt line nullifying the open shot.

Is this a user error on my part? Am I leading them too far away? Does anyone else have this problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #156
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Those were exactly my thoughts!!

I just hope not to see a fake pass every other trip down the floor. I would serious be pissed off with that. The pick is more important then a fake pass in terms of basketball.
Jeebs.. family say it aint so !!!! as an anti cheese measure for guys playing the passing lanes and cheating on defense surely you can agree you have no better weapon that then fake pass ? Hell you can barely watch any post entre pass in the nba against good defense and not see atl least one fake pass.

I disagree with everyone who does not think it should be in the game. Without it cheating defenders have an advantage because they can see your about to pass and jump lanes.

If you don't have all your options in real life including the jump pass you won't achieve balance.

the thing is they just need to make sure the defensive speeds are balanced and that the defense have appropriate tools.

The cpu on all star is almost too good defending the lanes. ( Great defensive teams like the lakers anyway) Trying to run the utah offense against kobe and artest guarding those wings is murder.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #157
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

I didnt even know there was a 'pick' button. Rather have fake passing than a button I dont know about.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #158
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Jeebs.. family say it aint so !!!! as an anti cheese measure for guys playing the passing lanes and cheating on defense surely you can agree you have no better weapon that then fake pass ? Hell you can barely watch any post entre pass in the nba against good defense and not see atl least one fake pass.

I disagree with everyone who does not think it should be in the game. Without it cheating defenders have an advantage because they can see your about to pass and jump lanes.

If you don't have all your options in real life including the jump pass you won't achieve balance.

the thing is they just need to make sure the defensive speeds are balanced and that the defense have appropriate tools.

The cpu on all star is almost too good defending the lanes. ( Great defensive teams like the lakers anyway) Trying to run the utah offense against kobe and artest guarding those wings is murder.
I know what you mean about balance. I've seen the cheesers who run around trying to steal every single pass. In that sense I can understand. I just don't want to see a fake pass 5+ times a possession. I also would like to see these animations play out as well.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #159
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
I didnt even know there was a 'pick' button. Rather have fake passing than a button I dont know about.
That's your problem you didn't read the manual.

LoL...Just kidding man.

edit: The "pick" button (circle/B) worked like this. If you held it down. A big man (either PF or C) would come over and set a pick and do a pick and roll. If you tap the pick button. Your big man will come over and run a pick n' slip (very effective vs a person like me who like to hegde with the big). And finally if you held L2 and circle/B. Your big man would run a pick n' pop or pick n' fade.

To me the pick and roll is the number one play ran in the NBA (or maybe basketball period).

edit2: But again...I do understand the value of what the fake button will bring. I can't tell you how many times. I would be trying to throw a post entrant pass. And watch as my defender back up a little and steal the pass.

Last edited by jeebs9; 08-26-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #160
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
That's your problem you didn't read the manual.

LoL...Just kidding man.

edit: The "pick" button (circle/B) worked like this. If you held it down. A big man (either PF or C) would come over and set a pick and do a pick and roll. If you tap the pick button. Your big man will come over and run a pick n' slip (very effective vs a person like me who like to hegde with the big). And finally if you held L2 and circle/B. Your big man would run a pick n' pop or pick n' fade.

To me the pick and roll is the number one play ran in the NBA (or maybe basketball period).
You still have all those options. It's just moved to another button.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »