Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #169
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

Choops4Life's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Art of Passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewie12
Remember Kenyon Murray? Defensive stopper back in the day. #3.

Thanks for answering questions.
I like Ricky Davis, but I despise the Hawkeyes. So Kenyon Murray, while a great defender, was still a puny Hawkeye.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #170
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

Choops4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg
the thought of a new choops with all of these additions brings a tear to my eye. hell, I would still play choops2k8 if not for the sliding..the gameplay is still tight but I can't get over the sliding after the advances the NBA2k has made. but man i owe you a thanks for the amount of hours I got out of that masterpiece.

as for the new nba2k11, about the new wrap around passes: I love that these are now in for penetrating guards. My only hope is that these are balanced and not overpowering. If I am a great passer like Rondo and penetrate to the rim and Perkins defender comes over to block my shot, and I see that and pass it over...can perk now quickly gather and dunk before the same defender turns around and contests perk's shot? currently this is impossible, but then again we do not have these specific passes as options.

Also, if I do this over and over, will the AI adjust and sometimes not come to challenge my penetration and stay with their man (perk)? or maybe their rotation covers perk most of the time if the defender leaves him? just wondering if you can flesh out the details of how this wrap pass is usefull (funny, i've wanted it forever as a PG, but also ony want it to be successfull when used correctly). thanks!
The interior wrap passes make a huge difference in being able to get shots off quickly under the basket. Rotations can negate them and they're based on the intelligence and quickness abilities of the defenders, but you can catch just about anyone off guard with one of these, on occasion, which I think is realistic. It's well balanced.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #171
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

Choops4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
A question off of that question and one other. What circumstance would lead to a bad pass by a player with a high rating. Is it possible for Chris Paul to throw something thats off target and would cause that to happen if it is possible.

Does tight onball defense (on the passer) increase the difficulty of a pass, specifically post entry and long up court passes.
Players with high pass ratings have opportunities to throw bad passes in the same situations bad passers do, except that their likelihood is significantly decreased in every situation. Tight on-ball defense can force turnovers...especially if the on-ball defender has a size or wingspan advantage on the passer, which can lead to tipped passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #172
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

^^Great to hear!^^
Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #173
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choops4Life
On occasion there may be situations where a ball flies right by a defender without him tipping it, yes. But trust me, players play passing lanes VERY well in 2K11. You can't just throw the ball wherever you want...Rob made it very hard on me to tune passing because of all of his pass steals. It's well balanced now and you will soon find out that you have to be very smart and selective about your passing.
Man you are scaring the **** out of me right now....In a good way...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #174
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choops4Life
Players with high pass ratings have opportunities to throw bad passes in the same situations bad passers do, except that their likelihood is significantly decreased in every situation. Tight on-ball defense can force turnovers...especially if the on-ball defender has a size or wingspan advantage on the passer, which can lead to tipped passes.
If I can piggy back here. They really seemed to beef up the pass lane defense but also individual defenders who are great defenders....shhh. Playing the lakers for example with Kobe and artest you have to ve VERY selective with your passing on the wings. Especially initiating plays that you run often.

They can disrupt everything your trying to do on defense but forcing you to catch passes a step or two from where you would like. Wether they are denying the ball or bodying a guy up. I found I had to use icon lead pass to create a passing lane OR time my pass so that it occurs just as the man receiver was making his cut.

It made for very exciting possessions if you know what I mean. You couldn't take a single pass off let alone a whole possession.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #175
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12

If fake pass is the "B" (on 360) button, what is the "call for pick" button? I love the pick and roll.

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #176
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
They can disrupt everything your trying to do on defense but forcing you to catch passes a step or two from where you would like. Wether they are denying the ball or bodying a guy up. I found I had to use icon lead pass to create a passing lane OR time my pass so that it occurs just as the man receiver was making his cut.

It made for very exciting possessions if you know what I mean. You couldn't take a single pass off let alone a whole possession.
That's great to hear!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »