Home

NBA Elite 11 Gameplay Q&A with Novell Thomas (NLSC)

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Gameplay Q&A with Novell Thomas (NLSC) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Elite 11 Gameplay Q&A with Novell Thomas (NLSC)

Not sure how you can hold reduced sliders against them without understanding the context. Reducing useful, working sliders is a bad thing, but if the slider wasn't effective or rendered useless by improvements made, how is it a bad thing?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDog253
uh-oh, I know of a few users who won't like this answer.
I actually like this. I think sport game designers rely too much on sliders and not enough on AI and physics.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 08-26-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Supporter

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
Not sure how you can hold reduced sliders against them without understanding the context. Reducing useful, working sliders is a bad thing, but if the slider wasn't effective or rendered useless by improvements made, how is it a bad thing?
How about fixing the placebo sliders so in actuality they'd work like they were said and intended to in the first place instead of just removing them? As far as improvements rendering certain sliders useless, that would be completely subjective to an individual because we all have our own preferences, and quirks, and things that get on our nerves that we'd liked to see changed or at the very least, tweaked. More sliders=more options, more depth to a basketball game, more satisfied users with an experience that can be more tailor-made to their liken. As a consumer, I couldn't care less if the sliders didn't work in years past; fix them so they can work NOW. The fact that certain sliders were unintentionally broken from the onset, isn't the consumer's problem.

Last edited by Epiffani; 08-26-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
How about fixing the placebo sliders so in actuality they'd work like they were said and intended to in the first place instead of just removing them? As far as improvements rendering certain sliders useless, that would be completely subjective to an individual because we all have our own preferences, and quirks, and things that get on our nerves that we'd liked to see changed or at the very least, tweaked. More sliders=more options, more depth to a basketball game, more satisfied users with an experience that can be more tailor-made to their liken. As a consumer, I couldn't care less if the sliders didn't work in years past; fix them so they can work NOW. The fact that certain sliders were unintentionally broken from the onset, isn't the consumer's problem.
Maybe thats what RTP is doing. Fixing them to the point that there obsolete. Clearly the juror is still out but I have never been a big fan of (most) sliders. Why do I have to adjust the rate inwhich a player make lay-ups? Doesnt that player have a million ratings that impact his lay-up skills?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 15

I'm just patiently waiting .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkpimp007
not impressed with the interview, most of it's known already.
The questions in this Q&A had been submitted quite some time ago so yes a lot of the info isn't new.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
Supporter

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Maybe thats what RTP is doing. Fixing them to the point that there obsolete. Clearly the juror is still out but I have never been a big fan of (most) sliders. Why do I have to adjust the rate inwhich a player make lay-ups? Doesnt that player have a million ratings that impact his lay-up skills?
Again, people are all different, which in turn means that we'll all have our own likes and dislikes with a game. To think that real time physics is suppose to remedy the differences and contrast in style in which people preferably play with sliders is downright asinine, and in retrospect, you're saying that real time physics can potentially be the answer to everyone's problem with this game, and could replace sliders altogether, and that will never happen no matter how advance this system becomes and I don't need to have played this game to make such a bold statement. Backbreaker's real time physics engine is beyond anything that has been attempted in a sports video game, and they put in over 3 years of work making it, but yet if you look on their website forums or in the O.S BB wishlist thread, you'd see people clamoring and asking for sliders because no matter how awesome a game's physics is, there are bound to be problems, and those problems could be completely subjective and a matter of personal preference. The thing is, I'm not even a huge proponent of using sliders, but I do have enough respect for those who do to want their own personal experience out of a game by continuously tweaking, and editing. I don't see how anyone can have a problem with those who are concerned with viable options being taken away no matter how minuscule they appear to some.

A poster above pointed out that some of the sliders didn't work anyway and that still don't justify taking them out; again I'll say, MAKE THEM WORK NOW. Sounds like a bit of a cop-out IMO. As far as your question in regards to lay-ups and having a million other ratings dictating and impacting lay-ups, not really, and that's has always been something that has plagued this series, which is the lack of customization, and control given to users OFF the court. There hasn't been a lot of indepth rating tying into the gameplay in years past, and now people are suppose to take lightly that even more customization options may be being taken away? Makes no sense whether you're for or against the use of sliders.

Last edited by Epiffani; 08-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #24
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
Again, people are all different, which in turn means that we'll all have our own likes and dislikes with a game. To think that real time physics is suppose to remedy the differences and contrast in style in which people preferably play with sliders is downright asinine, and in retrospect, you're saying that real time physics can potentially be the answer to everyone's problem with this game, and could replace sliders altogether, and that will never happen no matter how advance this system becomes and I don't need to have played this game to make such a bold statement. Backbreaker's real time physics engine is beyond anything that has been attempted in a sports video game, and they put in over 3 years of work making it, but yet if you look on their website forums or in the O.S BB wishlist thread, you'd see people clamoring and asking for sliders because no matter how awesome a game's physics is, there are bound to be problems, and those problems could be completely subjective and a matter of personal preference. The thing is, I'm not even a huge proponent of using sliders, but I do have enough respect for those who do to want their own personal experience out of a game by continuously tweaking, and editing. I don't see how anyone can have a problem with those who are concerned with viable options being taken away no matter how minuscule they appear to some.

A poster above pointed out that some of the sliders didn't work anyway and that still don't justify taking them out; again I'll say, MAKE THEM WORK NOW. Sounds like a bit of a cop-out IMO. As far as your question in regards to lay-ups and having a million other ratings dictating and impacting lay-ups, not really, and that's has always been something that has plagued this series, which is the lack of customization, and control given to users OFF the court. There hasn't been a lot of indepth rating tying into the gameplay in years past, and now people are suppose to take lightly that even more customization options may be being taken away? Makes no sense whether you're for or against the use of sliders.
Agreed. No game will ever be perfect. But I do think that proper game design and proper AI can make some forms of sliders obsolete.

Besides they havent removed all the sliders. And we dont know which ones are gone. I think before you can really say either way you would need to know whats in and whats out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »