Home

NBA Jam HD Impressions and Videos (Pastapadre)

This is a discussion on NBA Jam HD Impressions and Videos (Pastapadre) within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA Jam HD Impressions and Videos (Pastapadre)

Pastapadre has posted his impressions of NBA Jam, which includes quite a few captured videos from the PAX event, he recently attended.

Quote:
"In terms of gameplay it very similar to the NBA Jam of old, though with the updated control scheme and smoother movement. One thing I liked was with the shove attempts. When unsuccessful it takes a moment for the player to recover, so people won’t be able to just run around throwing shoves non-stop without paying the price. The right stick works well also for attempting steals, which I found to be the smarter thing to attempt unless I was squared up perfectly for a shove. Usually what I would do is try and shove the off-the-ball player and go for the steal if closing in on the ball handler.

One issue I noticed was with the way the CPU played. I know for many people NBA Jam is all about the head-to-head experience, but the single player modes are intended to add depth and a unique challenge. What I saw against the CPU was an obvious tentativeness, in the couple videos against the CPU you’ll probably notice that they take a lot of jump shots. That made them pretty easy to handle, with lots of blocked shots and numerous shot clock violations. Even a guy like Kobe Bryant was playing soft when controlled by the CPU."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: NBA Jam HD Impressions and Videos (Pastapadre)

Only problem seems to be if you're not dunking, you're not producing. All other shots are either blocked or missed. I'm not saying NBA Jam wasn't originally about the awesome dunks anyway, but I remember being able to control the court with Olajuwon and Horry back in the day because I could make the ranging shots as well as dominating the paint.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 18
(scratching my head) so it's harder to score on NBA JAM than it is for NBA Elite? C'Mon Son?!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I honestly love how goal tending is still treated as the end-all. I remember punching people in the face, shattering backboards, and setting nets on fire on the arcade game all the while being enthusiastically supported by the announcer. But heaven forbid I goaltend a shot, the machine would nearly self-destruct.

Fun to see NBA Jam in new form.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
MVP

Ermolli's Arena

OVR: 29

Looks very fun to play. The only problem in my opinion is too many block in jumpshots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
thats why pump fake was a shooters best friend on the original. You just pump fake and get the D jumping then you could shoot. Looks like a fun game but i wont get a chance to play it since you gotta buy Elite to get it.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

I must be spoiled. Looking at the HD graphics vs. the Wii's 480i/480p graphics are night and day. Even with fewer modes, I'm far more interested in a game that looks better on my television.

The commentary on the gameplay was nice as well. With the development of gameplay in basketball games in general, it's nice that even an arcade game would incorporate some of those elements. To clarify, I'm specifically responding to some of the statements about recovery time when pushing and the video displayed the way in which the timing of the release of a shot could avoid blocks. As a kid, it seemed a little more random as to what would happen if you threw up a shot or were trying to block one.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Soooooo....why is the movement, crossovers.stances, and shooting look WAY better than NBA elite 11? haha they created an arcade that is smoother than the real game XD

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »